PDA

View Full Version : Ultra scarce M101 card on the Bay now!!

nolemmings
08-27-2009, 11:22 PM
This one nearly caused me a spit take.
http://cgi.ebay.com/1916-Morehouse-Baking-Walter-Johnson-Exc-Condition_W0QQitemZ150368873922QQcmdZViewItemQQptZ US_SM_Sports_Cards?hash=item2302aeedc2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Granted, the Morehouse Baking ad back is fairly scarce for m101-4&5. But a blank-back Morehouse is hen's teeth rare. Seller must have a well-trained eye, because it looks much more like a Mall Theatre blank back to me, although if you told me it was a Green-Joyce blank back, I couldn't argue. Is there even a hint of a Block & Kuhl blank back in there too? I know, it's a Gimbel's overprint on Sporting News blank back--now that's beyond rare!!

Talk about the emperor's new clothes. Oh, by the way, to make it even more valuable, the card is a reprint.

GrayGhost
08-28-2009, 04:46 AM
;):)

calvindog
08-28-2009, 05:42 AM
There's nothing like combining a lie with a fake.....

Potomac Yank
08-28-2009, 02:01 PM
Another great guy.

Jim VB
08-28-2009, 02:05 PM
This one nearly caused me a spit take.
http://cgi.ebay.com/1916-Morehouse-Baking-Walter-Johnson-Exc-Condition_W0QQitemZ150368873922QQcmdZViewItemQQptZ US_SM_Sports_Cards?hash=item2302aeedc2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Granted, the Morehouse Baking ad back is fairly scarce for m101-4&5. But a blank-back Morehouse is hen's teeth rare. Seller must have a well-trained eye, because it looks much more like a Mall Theatre blank back to me, although if you told me it was a Green-Joyce blank back, I couldn't argue. Is there even a hint of a Block & Kuhl blank back in there too? I know, it's a Gimbel's overprint on Sporting News blank back--now that's beyond rare!!

Talk about the emperor's new clothes. Oh, by the way, to make it even more valuable, the card is a reprint.

Very nicely done, Todd.

Leon
08-28-2009, 02:46 PM
I sent them a message letting them know it is a blatant fake and they should end the auction. We will see what they say...

Leon
08-28-2009, 05:00 PM
They actually believed me, and took it down, though wanted to know how I know it's not a real card. I told them the short answer and then pointed them to our Detecting Card Alterations and Reprints section. They said they will probably send it in to be checked out anyway. I told them to save their money...:cool:

timn1
08-28-2009, 07:26 PM
Hi Leon,
They must have gotten some flak from others as well-- they did from me. Here's their reply to my neutrally phrased questions. I think the Morehouse idea came up because they were looking around on VCP to find their card and just happened to see Morehouse before any of the other M101 backs. The fake part of it is obviously more of an issue.

"Here are some reasons why I think the card is real. I bought the card at an estate auction of a multimillionaire. I don't see any reason why he would be selling fakes. I bought a 1964 Cleveland Browns Team photo in a frame with every autograph except Lou Groza and that one was authenticated, so hopefully that will give you an idea of the caliber of collectibles he had. Also, the 1916 Morehouse Baking Walter Johnson isn't one of the more popular Walter Johnson cards. If someone was making a reproduction they would probably do it on something like the 1909-1911 T206. This one is later in his career and it comes from a food product. It isn't a tobacco card. There is also a picture to compare with on vintagecardprices.com which I use for identification purposes. Another factor is the general appearance of the card. Usually I can spot fakes and I rip them up. I just ripped up an 1888 Allen and Ginter Charles Comiskey where the gloss was trying to be removed with sandpaper. It seemed obvious to me. There is no scatched off gloss or obviously cut corners on this card. It hasn't been altered. I am almost sure this is the real deal and if you looked at the card itself I think you'd agree. There are all types of oddities with these old cards. I'm fairly certain I've seen an 1880's Allen and Ginter Mike Kelly blank back authenticated by PSA selling on ebay. Those are reasons why I think it is real. Hopefully some of these reasons help a little bit. Thanks for your question."

Leon
08-29-2009, 02:14 PM
Being a professor for a profession I am sure you can undestand the irony of being professed too....except for the fact you are also one of the foremost researchers, along with Mr.Schultz, on these. I have done a bit of researching of them myself but don't think I am in ya'lls league :(.

Just some irony as I was reading their answer back to you. I especially like the "hope this helps" comment as I tend to use that one too. I am (hopefully) more correct than these honest folks, they did end the auction, when I use it...regards