PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Ty Cobb article

aelefson
08-25-2009, 07:08 PM
Hi-
I recently acquired four "American and National League Base Ball Schedule and Record book(s)" from 1913 that I shared in a post linked below.
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=114280
I have since sold three of them to a fellow board member, but I kept the one dated the week of May 19th 1913 because it was in rougher shape but also because it has an article on Cobb (my favorite player). I scanned the article below (but I assume the only way to read it is to save the images to your desktop and expand them with the magnifying glass in the picture viewing window).
I thought some board members might enjoy it as it pertains to Cobb's battle with ownership because of the "reserve clause". I doubt there is anything new in this article but the author was a writer for the Boston Post. I am curious if this article was specific to this small publication or if it also appeared in the Post (no luck googling the author's name and Ty Cobb but that just means the article might not have been digitized yet). I hope others enjoy it as well.
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com

Al Parker
08-26-2009, 05:43 AM
Cobb is also my favorite player and this is one of the few references I've seen about his efforts to crack the monopolistic reserve clause. I'm one who believes that public perception about The Peach would be tempered a bit if they knew more about this type of contribution in support of the players.

How dare he demand a salary of $15,000! Glad to hear the era of high salaries was over and that players' salaries and costs for fans would soon be dropping.

As a freelance writer and former copy editor, I immediately wondered what a "Menance" was in the headline.

Thanks for sharing this, Alan...