PDA

View Full Version : Is this an Al Simmons "autograph?"

Bob Lemke
08-23-2009, 10:06 AM
I'm working up a blog post about a 1933 World's Fair season pass given to Al Simmons, probably in conjunction with his participating in the premere All-Star Game.

I'm wondering if this brass "card" was actually "autographed" by Simmons using some sort of engraving tool. The signature shares some characteristics with his ink-on-paper autograph. I imagine that etching an autograph into a metal plate is much more challenging than even signing a baseball with a fountain pen.

Opinions?

The blog post should be up on my site (linked below) in a week or so. I'm trying to backlog some posts to keep the flow going while I'm on vacation in Western Pa. between now and Labor Day.

BillyCoxDodgers3B
08-23-2009, 10:17 AM
I would think that it was likely Simmons who etched this, "likely" being the key word. But I can't call an etching an autograph, as no ink or pencil was actually applied to the surface. Perhaps "manual autographic representation" might be a useful phrase in describing such a piece.

drc
08-23-2009, 02:29 PM
He could have scratched it in with a nail. If he did, I would count it as his autograph. An autograph must be by hand, but I'm not aware that ink is required. If you hesitate at the word autographed, you could say hand etched, etched in by hand or hand etched signature.

GrayGhost
08-23-2009, 06:22 PM
Ive seen a lot of Simmons autographs on reputable auctions, and in person at shows over the years, and that looks like it does have characteristics, and I think the nail idea is a good theory, tho the etching as well could be too. GREAT thread, and great item, regardless.

drc
08-24-2009, 11:51 AM
Scraping it into the metal with a nail can be called hand engraving or hand engraved. Hand engraved signature.

I'm no autograph expert, but, if this was Simmon's personal pass, odds are he wrote it. No one's signed my name to my credit card or museum pass but me. I bet Donald Trump, with all his millions and constant celebrity appearances, personally signs the back of all his credit cards. I bet Audrey Hepburn signed her library card if it required a signature. Circumstances don't prove, but support that it would have been Al who scraped in the name.

perezfan
08-24-2009, 01:37 PM
I would vote "yes" as well.... I think Al indeed "signed" it himself.