PDA

View Full Version : PSA 9 Question

paul
08-22-2009, 10:38 PM
This question was inspired by the thread about altering cards to get high grades. But I thought it was different enough to deserve its own thread.

The first card shown in the other thread is a PSA9 1963 Topps King. Even in altered form, it still has a diagonal scratch on his elbow and a small white scuff or snow in the same area. Putting aside the alteration, should this have gotten a 9? I don't collect ultra-high grade stuff, so I don't really know. But I always assumed a 9 would not have surface damage like this.

WhenItWasAHobby
08-22-2009, 11:01 PM
Paul,

According to PSA's grading standards:

A PSA Mint 9 is a superb condition card that exhibits only one of the following minor flaws: a very slight wax stain on reverse, a minor printing imperfection or slightly off-white borders. Centering must be approximately 60/40 to 65/35 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the reverse.

So in theory a minor stratch doesn't influence the grade. However, in practice a card with mint looking corners and a lot of surface wear should throw up red flags to the grader. Four razor sharp corners with some surface wear? No way.

paul
08-23-2009, 02:44 PM
It sounds to me like those fisheyes would still allow for a 9. But other flaws, like the scratches should disqualify it, just like a crease would.