PDA

View Full Version : Help Identifying these Dodger images

NATCARD
08-21-2009, 07:40 PM
These are all 3 1/3" x 4 1/3" black and white photos of brroklyn dodgers. Each photo has the players name and position in white printing in the image as part of the photography. I have scanned 4 of the 27 photos I have. The photos in the scan are Lefty Odoul, Waite Hoyt, Al Lopez, Dazzy Vance. The other names are Ike Boone Glenn Wright captain, jackie warner, bobby reis, clyd sukeforth, fresco thompson, van mungo, gordon slade, earl mattingly, cy moore, phil gallivan, ray phelps, pea ridge day, joe shaute, joe stripp, al cohen, murray howell, john krider, paul richards, mickey finn, lefty clark, jack quinn, arthur jones. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks, JEFF W

fkw
08-21-2009, 08:19 PM
Ike Boone was the greatest Minor Leaguer of all time... .370 career average

1929 PCL .407 AVE., 55 HRs, 218 RBIs

nolemmings
08-21-2009, 10:29 PM
Afraid I can't help on what they are or whether they were distributed as opposed to one photographer's pet project. The players, though, would likely match up with the 1932 Spring training Dodgers. I haven't looked up all the players you identified, but Waite Hoyt joined the Dodgers for the first time in 1932 and was only with Brooklyn from February 27 to June 7 that year; meanwhile, at least a couple of those players finished their Dodger careers after the 1931 season--probably went to Spring training in '32 and failed to make the big team. Brooklyn trained in Clearwater that season.

Potomac Yank
08-22-2009, 12:36 AM
Got to see him pitch for the Giants during the war years.
He was a good pitcher, they even made a song about his name ... Van Lingo Mungo.

Clyde Sukforth, and Paul Richards later went on to be managers in baseball.

Great shots.