PDA

View Full Version : Is it a reprint?

Buythatcard
08-20-2009, 05:22 AM
I have been collecting and selling vintage cards over the past 10 years. Every so often a card passes thru my hands that turns out to be a reprint. Many times, I can detect that its a reprint but there are those few that get by and end up on my eBay site. Last night, I heard from 2 of my customers that pointed out I had a reprint up for sale. Without questioning them, I pulled the card and decided to see for myself. I took a closer look and was able to see the difference between the reprint card and the real thing.

I think that it would be a nice idea, if some of you experts could post pictures of reprints versus the real thing. Also, a brief description of the differences. It would be nice to have a good reference with visual examples. Pictures always give a better idea what to look for.

I'll start it off with the card that gave me problems last night.

The Peckinbaugh card was the reprint. From what I can tell, the borders on the reprint have a bigger gap between the picture and the border.

Any more info would be appreciated.

Jim VB
08-20-2009, 05:56 AM
Click on the icon in the toolbar at the top of the page (second from the right, between "Rules" and "Archive".)

http://net54baseball.com/forum/content/alterations.html

Buythatcard
08-20-2009, 06:00 AM
Jim,

That's just what I am looking for. I just glanced at the article and there was an example of the card I just had.

I'll definitely have to read it tonight.

Thanks so much for pointing it out. I hope more people become aware that this article exists.

Leon
08-20-2009, 09:42 AM
Click on the icon in the toolbar at the top of the page (second from the right, between "Rules" and "Archive".)

http://net54baseball.com/forum/content/alterations.html

Thanks for pointing it out JimVB....

I think that besides the Fro Joys the Sporting News M101-4/5 cards are the most problematic for ebay. It is also the type card that the guy at the National, that was yelling at me (sort of, since he was deaf) and was in so much of a lather about, was/is selling. It's easiest to tell they are reprints from the wider white, inner border....as is being discussed here. About 95%+ of the M101 reprints are these type, from what I have seen. regards