PDA

View Full Version : Collecting interests?

V117collector
08-17-2009, 09:08 PM
I thought it would be a good idea to start a "real thread" asking other board members about there collecting interests.

As most members may know I’ve been collecting Maple Crispette’s for 4 years which in turn has resulted in the completion of the set minus #15 Stengel (short print). I consider it complete in my opinion!

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn269/Maple_Crispette_Set/?start=all

Now I’m looking for a new project that will satisfy my collecting addiction.
I don’t really like “type card” collecting as I’ve always had the itch to complete sets. Still not sure to which set I’d like to tackle next, but I can tell you it will consist of 30 cards.

Potomac Yank
08-17-2009, 09:30 PM
Which set have you completed? .....

btkpath
08-17-2009, 09:44 PM
Brad,
I too prefer the idea of collecting sets that I feel that I have a chance of completing. I have completed my set of 1933 Goudey's in moderate condition (yes, including Lajoie) and started collecting 1914 Cracker Jacks and t205's, although most of my efforts have concentrated on the 1914's. I probably would not have started the 1914 Cracker Jacks if I knew the almost unicorn-like reputation that finding the #93 Del Pratt card had. To my surprise, though, I found one for sale several weeks ago and jumped at the opportunity. Now completing the set is just a matter of money (of which I have precious little). Good luck on your endeavors.

Brian Van Horn
08-17-2009, 09:58 PM
Brad,

I am on the opposite end of the scale from you. My motto, which has been mentioned before, is that if I like it and I can afford it, I buy it. As I e-mailed another collector/board member, my collection has no focus. That said, I do collect type cards and the one type set I have completed is the 1927 E126. The following is one of the sixty cards in the set:

ullmandds
08-17-2009, 10:15 PM
Brian...that's quite an accomplishment...nice one! I finally completed my run of caramels last year...e90-1-e107...and casually look for the t, d, m's and various others cards I want! I need a purple e94 murray to have all of the color variations...and I casually look for other cards that interest me...usually yankees and hof'ers. I probably have 200 vintage cards. These days I'm spending my disposable income on travel..and I'm saving to build a house...we'll see if that happens!
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i176/ullmandds/224.jpg

carrigansghost
08-17-2009, 10:22 PM
Just completing my one of every card of this guy, then I go away. I wonder what my next obsession will be.

Rawn

Bamacollection
08-17-2009, 10:48 PM
I have been working on several sets over the last couple of years. T206, T205, T207, & M116's. I will also jump on a T200 if I need it. I think I am at 9 of 16. My collecting comes and goes in spurts for each of my sets. At first, the M116's were my complete focus. I bought and sold everything else to try to help feed the addiction! I eventually found myself becoming attached to some of the other cards (mostly Ty Cobb pieces) and the rest is history. Currently, my focus has been T205's and a few "wall-hanger" items for decor. I have no intention of completing any of the sets any time soon and am completely satisfied with being able to search freely! My only real goal is to be able to pass this wonderland on to my children.

V117collector
08-17-2009, 10:58 PM
Which set have you completed? .....

Not sure I undersatnd your question, but if you're referring to the #15 Stengel (short print) for a true complete set, then you're technically correct!

There's only one (short print) Stengel known to exist, owned by a unknown private collector. The card was found/sold in the early 90's which quickly became one of the hobbys true relics known as the "Maple Stengel". Most other Maple collectors consider the set complete with 29 cards for all the obvious reasons.

This is the only known scan of the Maple Stengel; (scan source) David Rudd http://www.cycleback.com/
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn269/Maple_Crispette_Set/15.jpg

ChiefBenderForever
08-17-2009, 11:21 PM
I finally broke away from set building and am focused on Chief Bender cards. It is such a nice break from trying to get another number in a set. No rhyme or reason just whatever comes up next. I never knew so many issues were out there pre WWI it is amazing. The 34 Goudey is the earliest set I completed. I had over 100 T206 and about 60 1933 Goudeys and gave up on both. I'm not sure I will ever try to put together another set again I'm having so much fun with the Benders and they could easily be a lifetime of searching and collecting.

Potomac Yank
08-18-2009, 12:09 AM
Not sure I undersatnd your question, but if you're referring to the #15 Stengel (short print) for a true complete set, then you're technically correct!

There's only one (short print) Stengel known to exist, owned by a unknown private collector. The card was found/sold in the early 90's which quickly became one of the hobbys true relics known as the "Maple Stengel". Most other Maple collectors consider the set complete with 29 cards for all the obvious reasons.

This is the only known scan of the Maple Stengel; (scan source) David Rudd http://www.cycleback.com/
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn269/Maple_Crispette_Set/15.jpg

Brad, no major problem, we're just from two different schools.
The obstacle is the check list.
Simply stated, in my school, regardless of reason, you either have the card on the list, or you don't ... that's it ..... no stories needed.

There's a member of this community, a nice guy, I'm not going to say a great guy ..... :D
He's done a hell of a job on the T206 set, except for a few tough ones.
He keeps saying that he's tamed The Monster _ _ _ BS!
The Monster has tamed him into wanting to think that he's completed the set.

I, on the other hand, am missing one card of the known T206 frontal check list ... My set is NOT complete ... but I can live with that, because I've given it my best shot ..... and who the hell knows what may happen. :)

We're just from two different schools.

Whatever you do, don't start on the MONO T217 set.
You only have 25 cards to deal with, but you'll be dealing with it for the rest of your life.
I'm up to 20, with 8 dupes ... I started in the 1980's.

Lot's of luck with whatever set you choose, but above all ... be honest with yourself. :)

V117collector
08-18-2009, 01:08 AM

Brad, no major problem, we're just from two different schools.
The obstacle is the check list.
Simply stated, in my school, regardless of reason, you either have the card on the list, or you don't ... that's it ..... no stories needed.

There's a member of this community, a nice guy, I'm not going to say a great guy ..... :D
He's done a hell of a job on the T206 set, except for a few tough ones.
He keeps saying that he's tamed The Monster _ _ _ BS!
The Monster has tamed him into wanting to think that he's completed the set.

I, on the other hand, am missing one card of the known T206 frontal check list ... My set is NOT complete ... but I can live with that, because I've given it my best shot ..... and who the hell knows what may happen. :)

We're just from two different schools.

Whatever you do, don't start on the MONO T217 set.
You only have 25 cards to deal with, but you'll be dealing with it for the rest of your life.
I'm up to 20, with 8 dupes ... I started in the 1980's.

Lot's of luck with whatever set you choose, but above all ... be honest with yourself. :)

I don’t think we’ve ever communicated about your MONO T217. Is there anything else we should know about the set other than scarcity?

leftygrove10
08-18-2009, 04:39 AM

My main collecting interest is Lefty Grove:

http://www.bandkgreen.net/lefty_grove

In the last few years, though, I have put together a 1934 Diamond Stars set (including the high numbers) and have almost completed a 1934 Goudey set.

http://www.bandkgreen.net/diamond_stars
http://www.bandkgreen.net/1934_goudey

pitchernut
08-18-2009, 06:29 AM
Try to stick with cards that were commercially available while the player was still active in the majors. Having said that, when it comes to pre-WWII any and all commercially available ephemera (minor, major, cloth, pins, postcards etc) will do just fine. Working on 5 categories that I call "sets" for the past 30 years.

Set 1: Game winning pitcher of record (including saves) on the winning team of the World Series.

Set 2: Single season 20 game winners.

Set 3: Life time ERA under 3 with over 1000 innings pitched.

Set 4: Perfect/No-No hurlers.

Set 5: Top 100 Closers

Thinking of starting another category called "single season ERA under 3 with over 200 innings pitched".

Oh and to make things a little tougher, try not to go over $100 on a decent E107, W600, Rose Co....and those darn '52 Topps hi#....

Tyler
08-18-2009, 07:24 AM
Pitchernut, I think that is a really cool way to collect...I might have to borrow that idea and come up with my own personal "set" to work on.

I am currently 1 Ty Cobb away from a complete T205 Basic Set. (Just waiting for the right one to come along, at least the toughies are out of the way).

Apart from that I have a "Collection of 25", just things that caught my eye along the way, with an emphasis on Lajoie and Mathewson.

I also pick up affordable ad pieces, photos, etc. that look good framed, also with an emphasis on Lajoie and Mathewson.

smtjoy
08-18-2009, 07:35 AM
I am working on a complete exhibit run 1921-1966, I have a couple years complete and a few I will never finish but I enjoy the challenge.

jeffmohler
08-18-2009, 08:35 AM
I mostly collect postcards/postcard sized cards. I am four or five cards away from a complete set of Pinkerton postcards. I also have all the 1907 Dietsche Tiger set, but now am working on the much tougher 1907 Cubs and 1908-09 Tigers. The Worch Cigars are posing a challenge, but I continue to accumulate them. Lastly as far as cards are concerned I am slowly working on some of the pre-war Cuban cards.

D. Broughman
08-18-2009, 09:00 AM
I am collecting the T 206 SL set. I have 14 more to go. It is my first prewar card set. Went to a local auction and bought 14 SL cards and was hooked. D.

T206Collector
08-18-2009, 09:48 AM
-- T206 cards and am hard at work on my second set -- working in collector grade and raw for the moment -- having sold virtually all of the first to buy a Plank and Magie;

and

-- Autographed pre-World War I war cards. If you've got any, I'm always interested.

canjond
08-18-2009, 09:56 AM
On the memorabilia side, cigarette and tobacco packs. My goal is to have one for each issue 1886-1930. I'm pretty far along, but not there yet (especially considering some of the unknows). In terms of cards, I like to focus on sets as well. I'm done with some "e" sets and currently working on a Delong set (4 away).

Anthony S.
08-18-2009, 09:59 AM
Right now my collecting interest is to acquire all the cards in a set except maybe one or two and then leave repeated messages on Joe P's answering machine claiming I completed the set.

alanu
08-18-2009, 10:33 AM
I usually have 2-3 sets I work on, in addition to picking up cards that I like, both pre- and post-war. With limited resources, my collection turns over quite a bit as I sell items to purchase others.

Northviewcats
08-18-2009, 10:43 AM
I'm pretty focused on completing the T206 set. I've collected just over two hundred cards and I'm trying to keep the set in mid-grade (VG-EX to EX) condition. I buy both graded and ungraded cards, whatever seems to be the best deal. I also am working on some post war sets.

I do like the idea of putting together a collection focusing one prewar player. I recently saw a collection of Fred Merkle cards and memorabilia displayed in our local library. It was very well done. I probably will start on that project, but I have not decided on the player, yet.

Best wishes on your collection.

Joe

Potomac Yank
08-18-2009, 11:28 AM
Right now my collecting interest is to acquire all the cards in a set except maybe one or two and then leave repeated messages on Joe P's answering machine claiming I completed the set.

Anthony, that was funny, and remember, I'm pulling, and rooting for you in whatever challenge you select. :)

In my case, there happens to be a positive in a negative situation.
Look at it this way.

I'm missing one card from completing the T206 check list.
When I started, I was just letting the hobby happen.
The set was never in my mind.

It was the joy, and challenge of the hunt.

What's over the next hill?

The fun of filling an empty slot.

A throw back to pre Korean war times, pre high school times.

The hobby was my sublimation to combat the real world, and the job.

Do you really think I want to complete the set???
My competitive side says "Hell yes," but my other side says, "If we do that, we'll have to look for another Hill."

The challenge is still there.

Then we have the Bottom Line, when we say, It's complete, when it isn't _ _ _ Who are we really kidding? :D

Let the set happen. :)

birdman42
08-18-2009, 11:56 AM
Brad,

I started out as a Washington collector more than 20 years ago, and have never strayed far from that aim. For me, the task is endless, because as progress slows toward one goal I can begin working on another that's more attainable. For example, the only 206 I need is the Elberfeld portrait. But there are other Ts, E cards, Ms, Ds, Hs, etc. Programs and tickets, too--and pennants (if I felt confident that I could tell good from bad), and DQ statues, and rulers, and mugs...

For me it's not the satisfaction of completion, it's the thrill of the hunt--and the discovery of something new to me. As Joe P. says, once you're "finished," then what? We've had a few threads here from people saying, "I've completed X set (E98, et al.). What do you suggest I go after next?"

CWYW.

Bill

rc4157
08-18-2009, 12:17 PM
My main focus is the '33 Goudy set but can be persuaded rather easily to grab other cards as well, especially if they happen to be Reds material. Those '19 Reds postcards sure didn't last long on the BST but they definitely grabbed my attention and I don't collect postcards (Yet!)

RC

Bester
08-18-2009, 01:37 PM
I thought this would be an appropriate first post for myself.

My main areas of interest are
- Each Mel Ott card produced while he was playing/managing
- T210 Series 3
- T206 Texas League

I've made decent headway on the Ott cards, but I have a very long ways to go on the T210-3 set.

deadballpaul
08-18-2009, 01:49 PM
My collecting focus at this time are sets.....

Novelty Cutlery- 86% complete- Need Johnson, Wagner, Cobb/Wagner, & Flick.(I've never seen the Flick card. Does anybody have a scan to share?)

N28 Allen & Ginter- 36% complete

1928 W502- 20% complete

There are a few other sets I collect, but the ones above are my main focus at the moment. Also, I think a set is not considered complete until ALL THE CARDS are collected. Short prints & expensive rarities are still part of the set!

Mediocre condition is fine with me!

MacBeth
08-18-2009, 01:54 PM
My collecting focus/interests are:

- T206
- T3
- Chuck Klein
- Donie Bush
- Hooks Dauss
- Oral Hildebrand

Potomac Yank
08-18-2009, 01:59 PM

- T210 Series 3
- T206 Texas League

I've made decent headway on the Ott cards, but I have a very long ways to go on the T210-3 set.

Bester ... Welcome Aboard!

Luck with your T210 -3's, and T206 Texas League.

My first game was at the Polo Grounds in 1944.
Got to see Ott play many times.

Best to you. :)
Joe P.

Jim VB
08-18-2009, 02:23 PM

- T210 Series 3
- T206 Texas League

Ditto what Joe P. said (except for the part about seeing Ott play.) Welcome aboard!

My favorite Ott:

Bester
08-18-2009, 02:31 PM

Bester ... Welcome Aboard!

Luck with your T210 -3's, and T206 Texas League.

My first game was at the Polo Grounds in 1944.
Got to see Ott play many times.

Best to you. :)
Joe P.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

It must have been great to watch the Gentle Giant and his high leg kick. Unfortunately, he played a bit before my time.

V117collector
08-18-2009, 02:47 PM
I would just like to clarify my views on set completion. Yes, we all know sets without a “card” short print or other wise is not consider complete. I have to agree but without having a possibility of ever owning the (short print) because of lack of numbers (only one card known to exist). “A sense of completion” with 29/30 cards minus the short print is the only logical conclusion to this dilemma.

Potomac Yank
08-18-2009, 02:54 PM
Ditto what Joe P. said (except for the part about seeing Ott play.) Welcome aboard!

My favorite Ott:

Hello Jim, believe it or not, I'm a Yank fan from the Yank war years.
My father took me to my first game at 13.
He was a Giants fan from McGraw's time, and the pitching coach, Adolfo Luque was a friend of his.
How I got to be taken to that game, is a story within itself ... for some other time.
That's a great shot of Ott.
He's just about to raise his right foot, and place it in a bucket. :)

Would you have the Luque card from that set?

Jim VB
08-18-2009, 03:07 PM

Would you have the Luque card from that set?

I do have the Luque card. My dad was a diehard Yankee fan, but did collect nearly the entire set of NY Giants cards as a teen, back in 1932. In fact, he thought he had them all. About 5 years ago, I found he was missing 4 cards. It took me until this spring to find the ones he was missing.

Potomac Yank
08-18-2009, 04:33 PM
I do have the Luque card. My dad was a diehard Yankee fan, but did collect nearly the entire set of NY Giants cards as a teen, back in 1932. In fact, he thought he had them all. About 5 years ago, I found he was missing 4 cards. It took me until this spring to find the ones he was missing.

Thank you _ thank you _ thank you!

First, I congratulate you for carrying the torch, after your father passed it on to you.

That picture coincides very closely to a moment in my life.
I was born on May 2nd 1931.
My father worked at a bakery called Simon's, (See mons).
Located on Lenox Ave, between 115 and 116 St. Manhattan, NYC, not far from the Polo Grounds.
Cakes, French pastries, and take out Cuban food was created there.
Athletes like Luque, and boxing champion Kid Chocolate, would hang out there.
It must have been 1932, or 1933 that my mother brought me by Simon's.
Luque was there, surrounded by his usual Cuban aficionados, laughing it up.

My father's side of the story:
When my mother brought me in, my father presented me to Luque.
With all admiring eye's on Luque, he picked me up, with one hand under each arm pit, brought me up to his eye level, said a few words that I don't remember ... he then proceeded to give me a gentle toss up in the air.
When he caught me, everyone broke out in tumultuous laughter ... everyone that is, except my mother.

My mother's side of the story:
Until her last day ... she saw no humor in having me tossed up in the air like a baseball.

My side of the story:
Luque met me, and I don't remember anything about it. :D

Jim, If you see another Luque around ... Give me a shout. THX.

Joe P.

frohme
08-18-2009, 06:48 PM
The sig pretty much says it all for me:

T207 (need 1 ... Donnelly to spare anyone?)
pre-war Pirates - mostly just T206 F/B combos (141/200+)

The smattering of other cards as well but it is *so* easy to lose focus.

--
Mike

Jason Carota
08-18-2009, 06:56 PM
I'm currently working on a 1901-1939 Red Sox type collection (including backs.) My collection currently stands at 47 unique card types (with one incoming - T201 Cicotte/Thoney.)

On the modern side of the hobby, I am working on an Adam LaRoche player collection (including memorabilia.)

Epps
08-18-2009, 07:36 PM
Really just working on acquiring rare cards for my Black Sox collection, especially Joe Jackson. My goal is to have one of the finest Black Sox collections in the World some day. The only set that I would like to complete is the 1917 Chicago White Sox Davis Printing set in which only one exists, but hey, you have got to have dreams. I really would like to add a D303 Felsch and a 1915 Zeenut McMullin with tab to my collection. These are pretty much it.

Vintagecatcher
08-18-2009, 08:21 PM
I initially started collecting type cards/memorabilia of the following seven (7) MLB catchers: Roger Bresnahan, George Gibson, Red Kleinow, Johnny Kling, Chief Meyers, Gabby Street, and Ira Thomas.

As finding new items for these catchers became increasingly difficult, I decided to collect PCL/NWL catcher cards. I have focused on the 1911-12 Zeenut sets, 1909-1911 Obak sets, and the 1912 Home Run Kisses set.

Being that I live 2 miles from the Atlantic Ocean here in Maine, it adds to the challenge of finding Pacific Coast League items.

Patrick

carrigansghost
08-18-2009, 09:55 PM
I'll be home in two weeks for a break, Patrick and would enjoy seeing your collection.

Rawn

Dustanh1
08-19-2009, 02:04 AM
My current focus is the T206 set. I started a little over a year and a half ago, and I am at 93 different cards. I'm doing ok with the HOFer's, as I have 2 Cobb cards, 2 each of Evers and Brown, all 3 Lajoie cards and a Keeler. I've got 3 of the SL'ers as well. Ideally, I would like to do something similar to the poster above who sold all of his T206's to fund his Plank and Magie, and then start over. I hope that the Magie and Plank are still within price range by the time I get the amount of cards it would take to do that. Luckily I'm only 27 so time is on my side. Who knows where I'll end up, but I'm having a great time so far and I'm not even 20% into the set.

Other than that, I pick up a few Cubs type cards here and there. I try not to let it distract me too much, but it does the trick when I start to get the itch to try something different.

DixieBaseball
08-19-2009, 07:40 PM
I continue to plow ahead on my Nashville Type Collection. I have managed to pick up some related Southern League Memorabilia as well. Anything Nashville, Tn & Baseball works for me....

I just recently finished my T210-8 Nashville Player Type set. It took me 5 years to finish only 17 cards, and I was looking under just about every rock imaginable. (Major, Minor Auctions, Ebay, Trades with Net54 Members,etc.)

Still actively pursuing upgrades, other issues with Nashville players like the T211's, T213's, Colan's Tin Tops & Red Borders as well as Photo's, PC's, etc.

Looking forward to the next great piece !

Cat
08-19-2009, 07:48 PM
I collect HOF rookies and some pre-rookies since I like zeenuts. I don't add very many cards to my collection over the course of a year.

vintagewhitesox
08-19-2009, 08:21 PM
I have started a pre-war HOF type card collection, as well as my continued endeavor to complete the 1949 Leaf baseball set.
I'm still one away from a 33 Goudey set, (yellow Ruth). That one's my favorite set.