PDA

View Full Version : Help with buying a T206 Cobb

rajah424
08-17-2009, 11:41 AM
I've wanted one for a long time, for my collection, not necessarily for an investment. I'm looking to spend around a $1000. My question is which variation and which back will get me the most bang for my buck. I'm not too concerned about the back, but would like a front that is nicely centered with nice corners. My preference is the pose with red background, but i'm open to any of the 4. I apologize if this has been asked and answered before. I would appreciate any insight.

Thanks,

Stuart

Steve D
08-17-2009, 11:55 AM
You should be able to find any of them except the portrait - green background, in PSA 3-3.5/SGC 40 for $1,000 or less.

A PSA 4 bat off shoulder just ended last night for ~$1,450.

Steve

FrankWakefield
08-17-2009, 11:56 AM
A green portrait would be ever-so-slightly the best if what you're after is a value increase, in my estimation. However, a good deal on any of the 4 would be best.

Baseball cards are poor investments. Invest in an education, a home, real estate, mutual funds, hardwood timber land...

Anthony S.
08-17-2009, 11:57 AM
The Red Cobb was doubled printed so there are twice as many of them as there are of each of the three other Cobbs. The Green Cobb is the scarcest. Consequently your $1000 should bring in a nicer example of the Red Cobb than the other three. If you're not concerned about paper loss on the back or a card being "trimmed" that would also allow you to purchase a more visually appealing card from the front. I don't personally buy cards as investments, so I'm only speaking in terms of affordability and visual appeal.

T206Collector
08-17-2009, 11:58 AM
Will get you the most "bang for your buck" as it was more heavily printed than the other three. For $1,000 you can probably get a nice PSA 4 or SGC 50 Cobb with Red background. You can place an "ad" in the Buy/Sell/Trade on this website -- although this post may already serve to get you some offers -- or you can find one on ebay.

Good luck!

rajah424
08-17-2009, 12:00 PM
I'm not looking for an investment, this is a card i plan to keep. When i said bang for my buck i meant which of the cards can i get in the nicest condition for around $1000.

Thanks,

Stuart

chaddurbin
08-17-2009, 12:03 PM
i think the red portrait is the nicest. if you're patient you can find a VG/EX for around 1k...not sure what graded sgc50/psa4 go for.

Steve D
08-17-2009, 03:50 PM
I'm not looking for an investment, this is a card i plan to keep. When i said bang for my buck i meant which of the cards can i get in the nicest condition for around $1000.

Thanks,

Stuart

That would definitely be the portrait w/ red background. As others have said, it was printed in higher numbers than the other three, so it's significantly easier to obtain, and at a lower price than the other three.

With $1,000 to spend, I'd shoot for a PSA 4/SGC 50, or maybe even a PSA 4.5 if you're lucky.

Steve

jbbama
08-22-2009, 11:43 AM
pm sent

JB

E93
08-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Red is the most common and least expensive. Bat off is probably next. IMHO, they happen to be the best looking of the four as well, so you will get bang for buck and an attractive card at the same time.
JimB

sreader3
08-22-2009, 12:59 PM
As others have intimated, your best bet is to seek out a PSA 4 or SGC 50 (VG/EX) Cobb Red Portrait, which with some patience you can probably find for $1K and change. I would stay away from ungraded since most of the unaltered Cobbs have found their way into reputable holders.

Rob D.
08-22-2009, 01:06 PM
It wasn't that long ago that I was putting together a quartet of T206 Cobbs, so the prices for the four during the past 2-3 years are fresh in my mind. That being said, you're picking a great time to add one to your collection.