PDA

View Full Version : W551 strip - Ruth, Copp, Pipp, Speaker - strip intact

mikedenero
08-12-2009, 09:56 PM
We just received this from a consignor today. Shall we simply post it in an eBay auction as-is? As you can see, the Ruth has a small crease on the bottom left-hand corner, the Cobb has caramel on it and paper loss on the front (shirt area), the Pipp looks great, but the Speaker is torn at top left and bottom left. What might this sell for as-is? Thoughts? Guesses? All are welcome. BTW, our consignor received from his friend about 10 years ago (for free). Unreal!

http://app8.sellersourcebook.com/users/37781/ruth_-_1.jpg

http://app8.sellersourcebook.com/users/37781/ruth_-_2.jpg

JamesGallo
08-12-2009, 10:33 PM
I have seen a few of these in different configureations. I know there is a Ruth/Cobb in a PSA 9 holder that someone is trying to get alot of cash for. I think the tear to the cobb really hurts this strip and honestly since I have never gotten an answer from the grading companies if it matters when a strip is cut from a value standpoint I would cut the Ruth off and grade it. As is I think maybe 250-350, but I think the ruth on it's own would be worth more then that. They are not sure rare and it is something I would like to pick up at some point in full strip form.

To be clear I would prefer to see something like this kept as is.

James G

mikedenero
08-12-2009, 10:55 PM
Thanks Jim. It seems that the graded prices for the Ruth are all over the map. I think this would grade a 3-4 (the Ruth). As for the Cobb (Auth - due to the paper loss and caramel); the Pipp should grade out as well (5 or higher), and the Speaker is shot, due to the tear.

slantycouch
08-13-2009, 05:28 AM
I think it's a great piece as-is and would hate to see it cut. But obviously you want to do what makes the most $ for your consignor.

Leon
08-13-2009, 08:37 AM
I am not sure of the right answer but I have never cut a strip up. It's just too sad for me to do it....and I know I could have sold some strips for more that way. If I had this as a consignment I would go ahead and get it slabbed as it is, even if it's AUT, and then sell it. If I had no "collecting" heart, and it was only money, then I guess it would get cut up. I think you could make a few more dollars that way, though I am not sure. These aren't too rare, even in strip form, so it's not like you are cutting up the holy grail, if you decide to cut it. Good luck and let us know....best regards

barrysloate
08-13-2009, 08:41 AM
My first inclination always is "leave it as is", but it's possible the person you sell it to will cut it up. You just don't know.

slantycouch
08-13-2009, 08:46 AM
My first inclination always is "leave it as is", but it's possible the person you sell it to will cut it up. You just don't know.

I agree Barry. I guess all you can control is what you do.

rc4157
08-13-2009, 09:22 AM
I wouldn't have the heart to cut it up but there are much worse things going on in our hobby I guess.

RC

mikedenero
08-13-2009, 09:30 AM
Interesting and helpful comments from everyone -- thanks! Last night/this morning, two Net54ers emailed me about purchasing it (intact). I just emailed both of them the same price and terms. If they choose not to purchase it (intact), I will offer it up on the B/S/T before I go to eBay. I thinks that's fair. I too would prefer that a collector buys it and keep it intact. It's pretty cool.

illini805
08-14-2009, 05:15 PM
I actually bought two uncut strips of ten at an antique store here in Santa Barbara about 17 years ago. I have one of them in my office in a frame, they look very nice. I will admit, I cut the other one up and did a terrible job. I cut them in pairs....It is nice to see these pop up from time to time. There is no way to see how many of these are out there left. I remember Heritage Auctions a while back had a full strip that they sold as well... nice strip though!

Jim VB
08-14-2009, 07:10 PM
Mike,

Didn't these come with 5 players to each strip and two strips to the set?

I'm sure the ones I've seen have another player next to Speaker.

In that case, this one's already been cut up.

Edited to add: Found one. Easier than I thought.

http://legendaryauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=99024&searchby=3&searchvalue=w551&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=100&category=1

illini805
08-14-2009, 10:37 PM
They came in a strip of ten. Yes, his is already cut but in tact for the strip it is in.