PDA

View Full Version : Regarding trophies, patina or Tarn-X, what do you recommend?

thekingofclout
08-10-2009, 12:02 PM
Please elaborate on if it's better to clean your trophy or let it be. If you clean it up, does it diminish value, increase it, or does it just not make a difference?

Any and all opinions are welcome.

My sincere appreciation, Jimmy

mjkm90
08-10-2009, 12:18 PM
Never Never Never use Tarnex. The dip type cleaners can erode the detail in your trophy.

I use a product called Wright's Silver Cream. I can't say it is any better than other products, but a couple silver collectors I've met at antique shows suggested it. Most of the paste cleaners are in a little tub with a sponge applicator and work well with a bit of elbow grease. I don't clean all my trophies with any regularity, and some I never clean if I like the way they look tarnished. I have a couple that are missing the silver plating in areas and these look bad when cleaned. Don't worry if you clean it and don't like it. The tarnish will be back before you know it.

In my personal oppinion, cleaning a SILVER trophy in no way hurts the value. It isn't like antique furniture where the value often lies in the finish.