PDA

View Full Version : inventory advice, please

williamcohon
08-07-2009, 02:05 AM
I'd like to have a computerized inventory of my cards. My computer is a Mac. Is there good software with preloaded entries? Pictures? What is the essential information to record for each card? Is there any way to avoid a lot of repetitive typing?

I have a feeling this could be a big project, so I'd like to know some of the issues before invest huge gobs of time.

Many thanks.

BobbyVCP
08-07-2009, 03:20 AM
You can input your entire collection on VCP and get up to the minute values on everything.

bijoem
08-07-2009, 06:41 AM
if you want to include scans, I believe "Bento" would be a good product for your needs. Its basically filemaker with all of the database programming work done for you with a bunch of pre-done templates.

http://www.filemaker.com/products/bento/overview.html?homepage=bento_overview

If it was my collection - I would rather just create a simple spreadsheet. Include the issue, year, name of player, variation, condition, maybe purchase price, purchase date, sold price, sold date.

I would keep my scans somewhere else / like iPhoto / or in a personal photobucket site.

Bobby's VCP suggestion is a nice one - but I would guess you would want to control that information on your own computer (I would).... I would go with Bento or a spreadsheet.

Jim VB
08-07-2009, 07:00 AM
You can input your entire collection on VCP and get up to the minute values on everything.

Bobby,

I like VCP and use it almost daily, but not for inventory purposes. It has no allowances for raw cards, so that reduces its usefulness.

smtjoy
08-07-2009, 08:13 AM
I have my full inventory entered into VCP and it works awesome. The few raw cards I have I just enter as SGC auth and put the price I paid for them into it, works fine. If you wanted to add the raw cards by estimated grade you could just enter them as a grading company you dont use say GAI 7 etc so you could tell them apart from whichever grading company you do use.

williamcohon
08-07-2009, 03:42 PM
My collection is mostly raw cards. Is VCP useful? Is the free VCP membership useful for anything, or do you spring for one of the VIP iterations?

BobbyVCP
08-07-2009, 03:46 PM
You can create your whole collection in VCP for free but won't show you the values.