PDA

View Full Version : 1971 Topps Winners (Slight Return)

toppcat
08-04-2009, 05:15 PM
I would not ordinarily post about a non-sports set here but the set is showing some baseball-related details. I have a whole b unch on m y blog:

http://toppsarchives.blogspot.com/search/label/1971%20Topps%20Winners

but long story short, these cards also were inserts in some 1972 Topps Baseball packs. Crazy! Now can anyone recall finding one?!

Jim VB
08-05-2009, 03:51 PM
Dave,

I seem to remember that Tom Boblitt picked up a lot of 10 or so of these at The National last week.

toppcat
08-05-2009, 04:35 PM
Dave,

I seem to remember that Tom Boblitt picked up a lot of 10 or so of these at The National last week.

Yup, there's been a few purchases like that of late. I have ten or 11 myself, mostly from a Kevin Savage auction. Haven't decided if I'll just keep a type and trade off the rest or just try to get the ones I am missing.

For some reason, they seem to be found in groups of 10 or so quite often. I wonder if Topps sloughed them off like that somehow back in the day. You would think it would be more common to find singles but it's not.

slantycouch
08-06-2009, 10:52 AM
Great article and cool stuff. I never knew about these. I'll have to start the search to pick one up.

autograf
08-13-2009, 01:16 PM
Got the lot from Rhett Yeakley. 10 cards in EXMT or so condition. Nice lot. Hard to find the others you need to complete though I'm sure.