PDA

View Full Version : Thanks : Net54 dinner

mayx2
08-01-2009, 07:22 PM
I attended the Net 54 dinner and had a great time! I met alot of great guys at the dinner.A big thanks to Leon,who by the way is alot younger than some of you might think:D,and all the people who treated me like an old friend even though it was the first time meeting them all.Even after last call some of the guys were nice enough to teach me not to play cards after drinking alot of Bud! Looking forward to next year and another great time.Hope all return home safely! Lou,

rc4157
08-01-2009, 07:35 PM
I too would also like to thank Leon and the sponsors who made the dinner possible. It was a great way to meet some of the people who frequent this board as well as those who mostly lurk, some members went out of their way to make my wife and daughter feel welcome as I'm sure they felt a little out of place and I probably didn't pay enough attention to them throughout the evening.

This was my first national and it is a bit overwhelming to say the least, I'll be a little more prepared with a specific want list next time. I was able to pick up some nice (although post-war) Reds cards for my collection.

RC

cfc1909
08-01-2009, 07:42 PM

Matt
08-01-2009, 07:48 PM
Thanks Leon! It was great meeting a number of people I've only known virtually. I wish I could have stayed longer and met everyone.

Jay Wolt
08-01-2009, 07:50 PM
Anyone have any pics of the N54 dinner?

Matt
08-01-2009, 08:03 PM
Anyone have any pics of the N54 dinner?
Carlton Hendreicks took a bunch - I'm sure they will be forthcoming.

Jantz
08-01-2009, 08:20 PM
I have to agree also. This was my first Net54 dinner and I had a really good time. Thanks Leon for all that you did.

Jantz

Jewish-collector
08-01-2009, 09:29 PM
I, too, would like to thank Leon & the sponsors for the dinner. It is without question the very best part of the entire National experience. (My downtown Cleveland experience was a close second :D) I am truly impressed at the increasing number of people that attend each year. Alan

http://vbbc.forumotion.com/users/17/23/61/smiles/136179.gif

Taxman
08-01-2009, 10:59 PM
Thanks Leon, SGC and all those behind the scenes. I really enjoyed getting to meet people with like interests(Card collecting and growing this wonderful hobby)

Thank for allowing me to feel welcome at the Dinner and on the board.

Kirk

DixieBaseball
08-02-2009, 08:37 AM
This was my 2nd National, first Net54 Dinner, and I had a fantastic time. (Never dull when you are wedged in between Dan McKee & Patrick Preece :D) After meeting a handful of members last year, I was able to expand those virtual relationships a bit further and I just have to say, that it is a great bunch of gentlemen in the Net54 family! There are still many I missed, and look forward to meeting at future Nationals.

Leon - Thank you for the Dinner and your hospitality !!

cfc1909
08-02-2009, 11:20 AM
I really enjoyed talking with you and your buddy at the dinner. We had a great group at the table. Look forward to the Baltimore show.

Good job Leon.-Also thanks to the sponsors.

Nice meeting everyone especially Elliot, Bill C. & Jim B.

painthistorian
08-02-2009, 11:42 AM
With all of the negativity that seems to be rampant, the emphasis to be positive and to educate collectors and dealers is most important and beneficial. The meeting at the NET 54 dinner was enjoyable, educational and most appreciated...Thank You Leon & Scott B and Josh Evans for making the experience comfortable and fun.

The history that we as collectors and dealers represent, transcends not just sports history, but the history of the United States. With all of its faults, this country has stood for something great and it is most important to pass this torch to the next generation. In this way, sports cards keep this historical record and snapshot of history when this great game and its athletes, owners and fans all shared and continue to share a common bond, so we may never forget when America was strong, productive and independant.

Educating young people is the most important part of collecting, my younger girls all know who Mickey Mantle, Ted Williams, Ty Cobb and Babe Ruth are but they know better when they can see the historical artwork in person.

yanks4
08-02-2009, 04:35 PM
Thanks Leon,.......... for continuing this fine traditon as it allows all of us to get to know one another and further enjoy the hobby and great history of all sports. Also it was very nice speaking and sharing with Cory, Ted Z. Turner and Matt, Rhys, and so many non board members that were setup who have just now become aware of Net54. Hopefully they will tune in and share their knowledge..........Again Leon thanks for the special evening....Marty

mark evans
08-02-2009, 05:01 PM
Thanks to Leon and the other sponsors for a delightful evening. Further, it is a pleasure to participate in a hobby with such a friendly and diverse group of folks.

Mark

geor952
08-02-2009, 08:13 PM
I too thoroughly enjoyed myself, thanks to the speakers, Leon, the food and drink, and esecially the guys at my table, Howard, Mike and his son Tom, Alan, and Mark Evans. I also really enjoyed talking to the father son from PA. The son is a dealer and collects Pinkertons, I am so sorry I am drawing a blank on your name. It was also a pleasure to talk to Jantz, and to find someone who shares my passion for the Monster.

Thanks again Leon!!

Buythatcard
08-02-2009, 09:38 PM
This was my first Net54 dinner and I also had a wonderful evening. Thanks to Leon and the sponsors who were so generous in putting together this function. I met many wonderful people especially at my table. I hope to stay in touch with some of my new found friends. I want to thank George who sold me the ticket to the Indian-Tiger game. That was another highlight of my weekend. Met some nice people at the game including George's dad. I must also thank Pat who let me hold his Lajoie 33 Goudey.

Basilone
08-02-2009, 10:42 PM
Thanks Leon & SGC for hosting/sponsoring the Net 54 dinner....had a great time. Also thanks to Josh @ Lelands for giving a both of the entrants who scored 100% (myself included) the $1k prize for winning his trivia contest...rather than picking only one us through a random drawing. Thanks again!

glynparson
08-03-2009, 03:37 PM
Thank you george i enjoyed our converstaion as well. Everyone I met at the dinner was a pleasure to converse with. Sorry i had to jet early Leon maybe we can have our meeting next year at the Net54 dinner. Thanks again to everyone it was an enjoyable evening. Thanks, Glyn Parson.

Leon
08-03-2009, 03:46 PM
You folks are welcome. It was my pleasure. Not sure what we can do for an encore after that one though. Hopefully we will have some more sponsors in MD....See ya'll there, God willing. regards

Rich Klein
08-03-2009, 04:20 PM
So I'll add my thanks for the dinner. Quite an event

Leon; I don't think our lunches at Tin Star are quite like that dinner and later this week we'll catch up there

Rich

leaflover
08-03-2009, 07:12 PM
Thank you Leon.

Mike and Tom

ChrisStufflestreet
08-04-2009, 11:40 AM
Finally got back home this morning, after an entire week without the Net.

We all had a great time at the show, but my daughter Melissa (age 10) had an awesome time. While she was on the floor, she ended up with a bunch of free stuff: a nice gentleman came by and gave her some autograph tickets, she got a picture of herself with a T206 Wagner at Memory Lane's table, and came home with all of my boxes filled with her stuff. And she may have paid all of $10 for what she got.

Sorry to report, but she was bored at the dinner. She and her mother went over to the pool once they finished eating. I, however, enjoyed meeting some guys I knew from their names and avatars and remembered again that I love this hobby; despite the negatives, the hobby is great because of the 99+% of hobbyists who look beyond the B.S. The personal interaction is one of the reasons I keep coming back to Nationals.

dstudeba
08-04-2009, 01:15 PM
Thanks to the dinner I was able to sit and listen to Mark Macrae which is something I have wanted to do for years.

The rest of the dinner was also interesting and a pleasure. Thanks!

wrapperguy
08-04-2009, 02:16 PM
The dinner was great fun. Thanks to Leon and SGC. Met many great people but missed out on many others that I wanted to speak with. Great job and thanks for the hospitality

slantycouch
08-04-2009, 02:36 PM
We all had a great time at the show, but my daughter Melissa (age 10) had an awesome time. While she was on the floor, she ended up with a bunch of free stuff: a nice gentleman came by and gave her some autograph tickets, she got a picture of herself with a T206 Wagner at Memory Lane's table, and came home with all of my boxes filled with her stuff. And she may have paid all of $10 for what she got.

One of the most encouraging posts I've read regarding the National. Great to know a kid had a nice experience and there were some generous folks to boot. We need something... anything... to bring kids back to this hobby.

Thanks for sharing Chris.

ChrisStufflestreet
08-04-2009, 05:06 PM
One of the most encouraging posts I've read regarding the National. Great to know a kid had a nice experience and there were some generous folks to boot. We need something... anything... to bring kids back to this hobby.

Thanks for sharing Chris.

And thanks for commenting.

Melissa did more than have a great time. She was treated as if she were truly special. In addition to the cards she took home, she got autographs from five former players (Sonny Siebert, Lee May, Joe Charbonneau, Rick Reuschel, Don Schwall and Bob Feller...plus, we got to meet Whitey Ford) and all of those guys were gracious towards her, taking time to pose for pictures with her and ask her a couple of things. Siebert and Schwall were happy to see her wearing her Red Sox jersey, and Bob Feller told her she had a beautiful smile. Also while there, she met Dolly Niemiec from the AAGPBL. Having watched A League of Their Own several times, she was in awe to be meeting one of the real ladies of the league.

You're right, though...getting kids interested in the hobby is something that ought to be a bigger priority than it has been for far too long.

E93
08-04-2009, 06:12 PM
I will add my thanks to Leon and SGC for sponsoring the event. It was a blast.
JimB