PDA

View Full Version : How to Price SGC/PSA "A" Hand-Cut Strip Cards?

Browncow75
07-31-2009, 11:50 PM
Im having trouble finding info on pricing hand cut/trimmed "authentic" cards, as the SCD and other pricing info usually only lists them with the typical VG-EX-NM grades. If the card(s) appear to be a particular grade (say the card would be a SGC 60 in similar "factory cut" condition), is that the ballpark price to go by? Thanks for any help, as I am sort of confused on how to value "authentic" cards!

Brandon

drc
08-01-2009, 12:46 AM
If it was a strip card that was supposed to be hand cut, has good borders and the grader only gives A to handcut issues, then your SGC 60 equation is a fair estimation for that handcut issue. Obviously at resale, it's going to matter whether the bidders agree with your grading.

If it is a factory cut issue that was trimmed (ala T206 or 1970 Topps), then it's a different stuation. For a standard factory cut issue, a card in an Authentic holder usually means there's something wrong with it-- alteration, trimming, coloring. Thus, despite whatever stellar appearance, it's best to price it as if there's something wrong with it. Exceptions are some rare and obscure cards where the graders give it an A as they've never graded the issue before and don't know how to grade it.

Browncow75
08-01-2009, 11:26 PM
Thanks! That makes alot of sense. The main series I was interested in is the W590's. Ive only seen SGC "A" slabbed ones, and just wondered how to judge fair pricing on HOF'er cards from the series. I dont currently have a VCP membership, and havent seen any pricing for them anywhere else in "authentic" slabs. Thanks for the input!

Brandon