PDA

View Full Version : New O'Keeffe article

Peter_Spaeth
07-30-2009, 08:08 PM
Peter Nash and Rob Lifson. Quotes some nameless sources -- which I find disturbing.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/2009/07/30/2009-07-30_rapper_peter_nashs_memorabilia_legal_fight_turn ing_ugly.html

slantycouch
07-30-2009, 08:11 PM
Nevermind.

calvindog
07-30-2009, 09:02 PM
Well, I'm not surprised that Rob was ripped anonymously.

Our hobby has auction houses that are either under federal criminal investigation and/or sell the same cards over from one auction to the next -- not REA.

Our hobby has auction houses that rip off consignors, lie like hell in item descriptions and mutilate cards without divulging alterations -- not REA.

Our hobby has auction houses which have dozens of purported reneggers over the years and then try to push off the cards on underbidders -- while REA sold $47 million in cards with just one renegger.

I guess if I was going to be a 'hobby insider' who was going to rip Rob about something that might have happened 35 years ago -- instead of something that happened in the past 5 years -- well, I'd be too embarrassed to be quoted by name as well.

slidekellyslide
07-30-2009, 09:38 PM
"Another hobby executive compared Lifson to a family-values preacher who gets caught with a hooker in a cheap motel."

"Hobby Executive" WTF is that? If you can't put your name next to a comment like that then keep your mouth shut.

and who knew we were all conversing with a bonifide rap star? :rolleyes: Anyone who has been around this hobby long enough has heard all the rumors...anyone who knows Rob knows that it's BS....it's all jealousy.

I'd also like to know how ANYONE (Barry Halper) with any kind of experience collecting baseball gloves mistakes a 1954 model for ANYTHING used in the 1930s?

calvindog
07-30-2009, 09:43 PM
"Another hobby executive compared Lifson to a family-values preacher who gets caught with a hooker in a cheap motel."

"Hobby Executive" WTF is that?

A 'hobby executive' is a fancy term for an auction house executive. Can you guess which auction house executives don't have the courage to rip Rob on the record? I can think of a few.

jmk59
07-30-2009, 10:02 PM
You guys know by now that I can always find something to say about everything. I could look at a plain white wall and come up with a comment about it. But I'm not sure I can add anything to Jeff's comments in Post #3 above.

Nice job, Counselor.

J

Jim VB
07-30-2009, 10:15 PM
If we, as a board, start to take an interest in, and discuss things we may, or may not have done, years ago, as teenagers, could I possibly go last?

Anthony S.
07-30-2009, 10:18 PM
That whole D.B. Cooper thing could come back to haunt me.

Kehfee
07-30-2009, 10:31 PM
I'm going to confess that I was nearly caught pilfering a Playboy from the local drug store when I was 13 years old.

I don't understand why Rob Lifson would have to have enemies and rivals in what I would consider the best run auction in the business.

I feel for a guy. This sounds like total bullshit.

drc
07-31-2009, 12:05 AM
Not of a fan of Bob Knight, but I laughed viewing a press conference when a reporter quoted an accusation from an "anonymous source." After the reporter wouldn't name the source despite Knight's badgering, Knight said that he too had an anonymous source and his anonymous source said that the reporter's anonymous source was wrong.

Basilone
07-31-2009, 01:06 AM
There were some very interesting speeches given at the Net 54 dinner tonight...which were on the record.

birdman42
07-31-2009, 04:54 AM
The article explains why we'd never heard of Freddie Maguire before the NYPL thread, and we probably won't hear from him again.

Bill

Sean_C
07-31-2009, 06:03 AM
Or will he punk out and be sick for that as well.

Orioles1954
07-31-2009, 07:44 AM
We had a very friendly conversation with Rob last week at our office. I can't imagine why someone would say such things other than jealousy.

slidekellyslide
07-31-2009, 10:44 AM
The article explains why we'd never heard of Freddie Maguire before the NYPL thread, and we probably won't hear from him again.

Bill

He was banned from the board before this article came out.

Steve D
07-31-2009, 05:08 PM
If we, as a board, start to take an interest in, and discuss things we may, or may not have done, years ago, as teenagers, could I possibly go last?

I'll confess that in 1970, when I was 7, I was caught trying to pilfer two packs of 1970 Topps baseball cards. I gotta tell you, the cashier at that Speedy Mart (precurser to 7-11 or Circle K), put the absolute Fear of God into me!!!!!

Steve