PDA

View Full Version : Our town lost a son.

Ladder7
07-29-2009, 01:01 PM
Update; Type 1 Yanks photo being auctioned off in the BST for the Cpl Xiarhos scholarship fund. Thanks guys.

Our little town became closer today, when USMC Cpl. "X" was taken off a charter from Dover AFB, at Hyannis Airport this morning. Nick joined the Corp right out of high school. He felt 9-11's events inspired him to serve.

He and this solemn procession then traversed his town one last time. From beachside, past Dennis-Yarmouth HS, up to the Northside and back down Old Kings Highway to his quaint, old neighborhood. The appreciative thousands lined the flag and yellow ribbon covered main roads of Yarmouth. Nick Xiarhos received the Hero's welcome he deserved and I'm told, it was heartwarming and humbling send off for his family. There wasn't a dry eye to be seen for miles. The epitome of bittersweet.

Thanks to two fellow Marines that sacrificed their own lives, Nicholas and fifty other troops had survived a bombing at an Iraqii checkpoint last year... Six days ago, this young Marine was killed by an IED in Afghanistan.

Redeployed back to the Middle East, Nick's family saying goodbye, along with his dad Steve's message;
http://www.grunt.com/images-bs/holiday/xiarhos.jpg
Home for Christmas! Cpl. Nicholas George Xiarhos
On Friday, May 15, 2009 under a cerulean blue North Carolina sky, my wife and I watched our oldest son, Marine Cpl. Nicholas George Xiarhos; go off to war in Afghanistan.

Earlier in the week we gathered Nicholas’s three younger siblings together and drove all night from Yarmouthport, Massachusetts to Camp Lejeune in Jacksonville, N.C., to visit with him and his brother Marines and then watch them get on the buses to start their important but dangerous 7-month mission to seek out and clear the enemy out of several vital areas and cities in southern Afghanistan.
Nicholas is 21 years old and is a Class of 2006 graduate of Dennis-Yarmouth Regional High School. He fought in Iraq last year, and thanks to his brother Marines, returned home safe for Thanksgiving. He now joins fellow DYRHS class of 2006 classmates, Marine Cpl. Andrew Coville and Marine Lance Cpl. John Tibbetts as part of the historic Marine Expeditionary Brigade in Afghanistan. All 3 fought together in Iraq and now in Afghanistan.

We look forward to all of the Marines accomplishing their mission and their safe return this Christmas…that will be the best Christmas present ever!!!

- Steven, Lisa, Alexander, Elizabeth, and Ashlynne Xiarhos
- Yarmouthport, Massachusetts

Semper Fi Marine, and thankyou for making me take stock today.

Hug 'em next you see 'em,
Steve F

GrayGhost
07-29-2009, 01:34 PM
Very sad. My prayers and condolences on the loss of another one of the real heroes of this world.

Scott.

jbsports33
07-29-2009, 02:32 PM
God Bless his family and the other soldiers overseas

Jimmy

ethicsprof
07-29-2009, 03:08 PM
My prayers and deepest sympathy,

Barry

FrankWakefield
07-29-2009, 03:47 PM
May our prayers and thoughts hold his family, his friends, and his fellow servicemen...

rc4157
07-29-2009, 04:57 PM
My prayers and concolences to all close to this young man.

RC

Harford20
07-29-2009, 06:24 PM
God Bless this Marine Cpl, and to all those who serve their country. A special prayer to those still in harm's way.

tbob
07-29-2009, 08:36 PM
My condolences and sympathy to the family of the young soldier. May the troops be finally brought back home soon.

Doug
07-30-2009, 07:07 AM
My condolences and sympathy to the family of the young soldier. May the troops be finally brought back home soon.

Same here, I couldn't say it any better myself. :(

slantycouch
07-30-2009, 07:24 AM
RIP and God bless. We're very lucky to have soldiers willing to do the things they do to keep us free and safe.

uffda51
07-30-2009, 02:09 PM
I echo the thoughts of all of the above posters and am grateful to Steve for posting this, as a reminder to us all.

slidekellyslide
07-30-2009, 02:37 PM
How very sad. Condolences to his family.

I certainly hope the madness in the middle east subsides soon.

Oldtix
07-31-2009, 06:16 PM
You are in our prayers, and he and his fellow fallen heroes will live on in our hearts.