PDA

View Full Version : Baseball book suggestions.

GrayGhost
07-28-2009, 05:37 AM
I didn't know exactly where to post this, but has anyone ever read Matt McGough's book, Batboy, about his two years as a Yankees batboy? If not, I highly suggest you find a copy and check it out. Simply a GREAT book.

I know someone also was talking about Bugs Raymond, and Glory of their Times. I had the audio of that, but Im gonna read the book soon, which has additional players not on the audio I had years ago. Simply a GREAT book too.

Also, Frank Defords ( I think) book, Baseball in the Afternoon, is awesome too, bout Matt and Mugsy McGraw and those days.

thekingofclout
07-28-2009, 05:53 AM
Batboy is a great read. I bought a few extra copies and gave them away at the holidays.

Some other must reads are:

"The year Babe Ruth hit 104 Home Runs" by Bill Jenkinson

"Ty and the Babe" by Tom Stanton

"What I learned from Jackie Robinson" by Carl Erskine

"On the Road with Jim Murray" (Baseball and the Summer of '79) by John Scheibe

Also, "The Year I owned the Yankees" by Sparky Lyle was a lot of fun.

Best, Jimmy

Ladder7
07-28-2009, 05:57 AM
GOTT was terrific.

The Celebrant, The Year They Called Off The World Series and Red Legs and Black Sox were fun reads. Wish I could finish the darn Josh Gibson bio, but left it in Fla. last vacation!

GrayGhost
07-28-2009, 06:56 AM
I read the Celebrant as well. Simply a GREAT book in the part fiction/non fiction. Blue Ruin was also good, IMO.

The Erskine Book was one I was considering Jimmy. Thanks for the recommendation.

thekingofclout
07-31-2009, 04:13 AM
By George Vecsey is an absolute must for any fan's library. Here is an excerpt from page 68:

"To this day, I still love talking about, reading about, writing about the Babe. He transcends the decades, the styles, the changes, the races, the money. He is America's beloved prodigal bad-boy son. He is baseball."

Has anyone ever explained the Bambino, so simply, but oh so completely, in so few words...

Jimmy