PDA

View Full Version : Unusual Strip Card -- Anyone seen this before?

brianp-beme
07-27-2009, 07:23 AM
This card ended Sunday night on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1920s-W-UNC-WAITE-HOYT-STRIP-CARD-HAND-CUT-EX-MT_W0QQitemZ270429984925QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_SM_S ports_Cards?hash=item3ef6e2189d&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Has anyone seen this issue before? I actually have an Adams of Pittsburg's Pirates (yes, there is actually an apostrophe) that appears to be from this same issue that I picked up several years ago from an ebay lot. I always assumed it was a fake...the colors seemed to bleed together like they would if you printed them out from the computer onto normal copy paper. I can scan my Adams this evening for comparision sake. Is there any telling attributes to look for to determine if it is indeed a fake?

Brian

Leon
07-27-2009, 07:42 AM
To me it also looks like a fake. Even most strip cards generally have a little better picture on them, not quite so fuzzy. And if I remember correctly one of the ways to tell a strip card reprint is by the blue lettering. Add to those things the very straight, almost "new" cut, and I don't care for the card....just one persons opinion. regards

brianp-beme
07-27-2009, 10:40 AM
As I mentioned in the previous post, I always assumed that my Adams card was fake (heck, it didn't even smell old), but the thing that always threw me off and kept me from throwing the card out was that I hadn't seen the same depiction of Adams in any other strip set. And it is the same with the Hoyt card--does the Hoyt artwork look familiar to anyone, either from some card set or another source?

Brian

paul
07-27-2009, 11:29 AM
Bob Lemke wrote an article about FGA. It was founded for the purpose of marketing forgeries. They made fake Bazookas and I believe fake W517s. I had not previously heard of them making fake uncatalogued cards, but in light of their business model, I think it's safe to assume these are fakes. Hopefully Bob will chime in.

Bob Lemke
07-27-2009, 03:17 PM
Yes, there were a number of counterfeited strip cards in that scam-o-rama several years ago, though I don't remember ever seeing any fantasies.

I'd concur with the notion that anything in an FGA slab is fake.

Unfortunately, all my notes, samples, etc., from that investigation were trashed when I left F+W in 2006.

bcbgcbrcb
07-27-2009, 04:52 PM
The bidding history of the item on e-bay looks very suspicious to me.

brianp-beme
07-27-2009, 10:00 PM
Here is the Adams 'strip' card that I own. It was in a lot of cards, ungraded. It is on relatively thin but stiff paper. Even if it is, as it seems to be, a fake, would love to know where these shysters came up with the images used. Brian