PDA

View Full Version : T206--is he really Happy?

nolemmings
07-26-2009, 12:02 PM
I know this isn't exactly a question for the collecting ages, but I was wondering if the T206 Happy Smith card actually depicts him, or does it instead show Brooklyn SS Tony Smith? Anybody have another pic of Hap?

I bring this up after seeing that at least both PSA and the SCD big book misidentify the P2 pin and PX7 disk as Hap Smith. Those two sets borrow the T205 photo of Tony Smith, and therefore presumably depict him, unless T205 got it wrong.

That got me to look at t206, the only set that I know of to contain a Happy Smith card. Since the caption says "Happy" Smith Brooklyn, I assume the intent was to include that player. Still, that card is found in series 460 only, which is posited to have been released in the Fall of 1910. Happy Smith played only four months in the Big Leagues--parts of April-July, 1910. He was done by the time serties 460 was likely issued, and there were probably few photos of him playing, as he was a sub who got only 76 AB and played in the field only during 16 games. On the other hand, Tony Smith, who ironically was traded to Brooklyn at the same time as Hap, was getting most of the playing time at SS. I cannot tell from looking at the T205 and T206 cards of the Smiths whether they depict the same guy. Anyone else think they do or do not?

Anthony S.
07-26-2009, 12:43 PM
Interesting question. I haven't the foggiest idea, but I like this kind of stuff.