PDA

View Full Version : E97 Dolan existence- verified

Leon
07-23-2009, 10:42 AM
A friendly lurker-board member emailed me today about an E97 color "Dolan", not the normal "Doolan", that is more commonly seen. He believes it is quite rare and would appreciate knowing if anyone else has one or has even seen one? Heck, I am just happy to talk about something in a positive manner nowadays!! All info is appreciated....as well as our lurker friend, who has emailed and helped us several times before, is appreciated. Thanks in advance for any information and help. best regards

docpatlv
07-23-2009, 01:41 PM
Leon,

Is this a new discovery or has this error been in any of the major auctions in the past? If not, it kind of makes you wonder where they've been hiding.

I also noticed that on the error card, there is no comma after his name.

MikePugeda

Leon
07-23-2009, 01:47 PM
Leon,

Is this a new discovery or has this error been in any of the major auctions in the past? If not, it kind of makes you wonder where they've been hiding.

I also noticed that on the error card, there is no comma after his name.

MikePugeda

Mike
I haven't researched it myself but the gentleman that sent it said he had searched old Net54 files and saw that most folks had not verified it's existence AND he did not believe one had ever been shown before. With that being said I assume one has not been in auction either. I know we have some E97 collectors on the board so maybe they will chime in? I don't track the mainstream sets as much as many others do. Now, if you ask me about sets barely anyone cares about I can probably help out. :) regards

Matt
07-23-2009, 02:05 PM
I know we have some E97 collectors on the board so maybe they will chime in? I don't track the mainstream sets as much as many others do. Now, if you ask me about sets barely anyone cares about I can probably help out. :) regards

You know you might be a little too specialized when you refer to E97 as a mainstream set.

Wite3
07-23-2009, 03:06 PM
Leon and all,
This Dolan has been on my Phillies list as verified for at least 10 years. That means that I have seen one in the past.

Not sure where but I want to say that Lew Lipset had one once upon a time.

Joshua

gnuche
07-23-2009, 04:57 PM
PSA lists a Dolan that has been graded authentic in there pop report. It is the only Dolan they have graded. Guess my set isn't complete.

uffda51
07-24-2009, 05:00 PM
http://homepage.mac.com/thurber51/.Pictures/E97/Doolan.JPG

Just for comparison, here is a scan of the normal Doolan card, which I no longer own. Had the complete set at one time but have never seen a "Dolan."

frohme
07-24-2009, 05:37 PM
Is it just me or the scans, or are the fonts in the "Doolan" and "Dolan" cards significantly different?

Bosox Blair
07-25-2009, 01:15 AM
Is it just me or the scans, or are the fonts in the "Doolan" and "Dolan" cards significantly different?

This would be consistent with the 4 known E97 variations in that the later issued ("fixed") versions of each one has the name in a larger font than the earlier-printed version. Though I was not aware of the Dolan with no comma, it would fit the pattern in E97 that the correct Doolan with a comma would have a larger font for the name.

Cheers,
Blair

slantycouch
07-25-2009, 11:02 AM
You know you might be a little too specialized when you refer to E97 as a mainstream set.

Haha :D

Cool to see though. Thanks for sharing, mystery lurker.