PDA

View Full Version : How often do you kick yourself for not placing a higher bid...

deadballera
07-20-2009, 02:39 PM
So last night I am bidding on a card and of course get sniped at the end. Who knows if I would have won if I placed a higher bid, not knowing the max snipe bid.

How often does it happen when you just wish you would have bid more on a card that you really wanted but just didn't bid the max amount you were willing to spend on the card.

base_ball
07-20-2009, 02:50 PM
Never. When I snipe, I really, truly put the highest amount I'm willing to pay for a lot. This is the dilemma with fixed-time ending auctions: because some bidders DON'T snipe with their honest-to-gosh highest bid, money is lost to the sellers...and the auctioneer. That's why eBay is still such a great place to buy!

milkit1
07-20-2009, 03:05 PM
Lasnight. The cracker jack hal chase. Probably the last chance ill have to get one foo under $100

BillyCoxDodgers3B
07-20-2009, 03:12 PM
last chance ill have to get one foo under $100

Sean,

I thought the doctor had prescribed you something for your sudden bouts of Mr. T tourette's. Somebody hasn't been taking his meds!:)

ChiefBenderForever
07-20-2009, 03:26 PM
Everytime I lose !!!!!!

Exhibitman
07-20-2009, 04:33 PM
Never. When I snipe, I really, truly put the highest amount I'm willing to pay for a lot.

Ditto. The only time I end up in that kicking myself mode is when the auction is live.

Bamacollection
07-20-2009, 04:50 PM
Every day!!! But, if I won everything I bid on, my happy home would probably belong to somebody other than me! I am having a blast cherry-picking, or low-balling if you will. Every win seems a little sweeter. ;)

JasonL
07-20-2009, 05:16 PM
Not once since the recession started.

camlov2
07-21-2009, 12:53 PM
I think it is a tie between bidding not enough and bidding more then I should have on an item.

It all balances out, right?

Adam
07-21-2009, 05:58 PM
I used to kick myself for not placing a high enough bid. Now I either bid the max I am willing to pay for something I want or set a snipe for that max amount and if I win, then great, and if I lose, I can care less . . . it just leaves me with more money for something else.

Rich Klein
07-21-2009, 06:00 PM
I bid what I bid -- and I factor in just about everything into what I bid.

If I win; great -- if not; oh well.

Rich

JasonL
07-21-2009, 06:11 PM
you said: "...and I factor in just about everything into what I bid"

We should exchange our valuation models!
How do you factor in the differential between the ambient air temperature in the target item's location, and the following week's humidity and pollen forecasts for your hometown? I've found there to be an inverse relationship between that differential and the amount of cat hair I usually find within the packaging upon opening, but I have great difficulty measuring the magnitude with any predictive power of significance.

:D

Rich Klein
07-21-2009, 07:28 PM
And count shipping; who the person is;.....

And stay with a plan

Pup6913
07-21-2009, 08:34 PM
I kick myself everday for 2 cards I had the balls not to just get and tried to get it at the cheapest. About 1 1/2 yrs ago on a Addie Joss T205 in grade 5 Missed it by $1 and some change( sold for $746 I think at 1am), and the most sickning of them all a T205 PSA 4 Cobb w/ an American Beauty back. POP 1 sold for $1383 or close to that. Another mid night auction I missed by a few $. So the answer is ALL THE TIME

Kawika
07-21-2009, 09:11 PM
How often do I kick myself? Just once in a while. Sometime the card kicks me. Like f'rinstance every time when Jeff L posts that gobsmacking, jawdropping and utterly cool Boston Garter Sepia Chase which he won from Legendary when it was still OK to bid on their auctions and for which I was the underbidder and for which I was unclear on their extended bidding rules and for which I was having an afternoon nap while the auction ended with a quiet whimper.

Anthony S.
07-21-2009, 09:21 PM
I only kick people with subpar foot speed.

Jim VB
07-21-2009, 09:56 PM
Here's my bidding philosophy:

I factor in everything I can think of, just like Rich.

I bid the maximum amount I am willing to pay for the item and set a snipe.

If I win, no matter how ridiculous the price is, I rationalize that I only paid one bidding increment more than the other guy was willing to pay. (Ignoring the fact that, on that given day, I was willing to pay more than anyone else in the world for that item.)

If I lose, and am the underbidder, I convince myself that the winner obviously overpaid for the item (Obviously! His bid was higher than my "maximum", so he was too high. Right?)

If I lose , and 3-4 people outbid me, then either I really didn't want that card (sure) or, more likely, the whole world has lost their mind for this auction.

I'm not quite at insanity, but it's a short bus ride and I don't need a transfer.