PDA

View Full Version : Card idiosyncracies you never noticed?

Anthony S.
07-20-2009, 11:28 AM
Just noticed this a few days ago. If you'll look at Dode's pitching hand, you'll see he appears to be holding a grapefruit sized orb that is virtually the same color as uniform, but slightly lighter. If you'll look closer it would appear that orb was added to obscure a baseball in his hand that didn't look quite right. Add to that a peculiar finger shaped shadow that appears incongruously directly between his pinkie and ring finger --- which, frankly, look more like a thumb and a forefinger --- and you have a genuinely funky looking card.

Any others?

paul
07-20-2009, 06:12 PM
The extra finger is truly bizarre. But don't you think the big grey oval is just supposed to be part of his uniform that was indented a bit toward his body?

JasonL
07-21-2009, 10:54 AM
I think that is just an illusion from the fold/creasse depicted in his jersey...but it does truly look as though there was a baseball being held in that hand, before the artist realized that a guy shouldn't still be holding the ball at that advanced a position in his throwing motion...so he removed the ball and was left with a quandry about how to depict the thumb...

agreed though, one of those unusla image interpretation issues when you look closely enough at something!

Chris Counts
07-21-2009, 07:11 PM
It reminds me of the strange 1957 Topps card of Mickey Mantle, which I must have seen a hundred times before I noticed the blacked out figure behind him ...

Anthony S.
07-21-2009, 07:34 PM
I agree they were trying to make it look like part of his jersey, but they didn't do a very good job of it.

ethicsprof
07-21-2009, 09:46 PM
I only recently found out that the arm being tagged by Schmidt on my E92 Dockman actually belonged to Davis---so I recently bought a Davis so I could have both halves of the photograph the two cards cames from.
Everyone else in the world may have known this but not this Tobacco guy and I
found it most fascinating.
Lew Lipset continues to teach me.

best,
barry

terjung
07-22-2009, 07:17 AM
It reminds me of the strange 1957 Topps card of Mickey Mantle, which I must have seen a hundred times before I noticed the blacked out figure behind him ...

Never noticed that until you just mentioned it.

Gee thanks! Now I won't be able to stop looking at that!:(