PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar with the Philadelphia Mercury 1889 baseball supplement?

Tul70
07-19-2009, 06:53 PM
I'm looking for information on a two page newspaper, The Mercury - An Illustrated Sunday Newspaper. It's labeled a "Souvenir of the Baseball Season of 1889 and is dated November, 1889. There are large team composite pictures of the New York, Cinncinatti, Philadephia and Brooklyn teams. Does anyone know if this is a real piece, some sort of reprint or a fantasy item produced later. Thanks in advanced for your help.

aelefson
07-20-2009, 08:48 AM
Hi-
While I cannot speak of your specific piece, many newspapers did produce supplements like that, and many of these are not catalogued anywhere. Is this item online or can you hold it in your hands? If it has typical tears, staining, and smell for a 100 plus year old newspaper than chances are it is real. These supplements do not have high value so the chances of reproduction are less (but not nil). Please post scans or a digital picture if you can.
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com

drc
07-20-2009, 10:53 AM
Alan is correct. Some regional/local 1800s/early 1900s newspapers had baseball woodcuts and supplements. Some are uncatalogued and obscure, and a example pops up every once in a while. So it is genuinely possible for an average collector to find a supplement or newspaper woodcut that few to none have heard of and is genuine.

aelefson
07-21-2009, 08:25 AM
Hi-
Here is a photograph of the supplement that was emailed to me by Frank. It looks real to me but it is difficult to judge from a photograph. He also included the following about the smell:
"The paper stock appears to be non-acidic and has no smell. It reminds me of the stock M101s are printed on."
I would guess it is real but I know Frank will want to hear opinions from other folks as well.
Alan

drc
07-21-2009, 11:38 PM
I'd have to see it is person to give a final opinion, but I agree with Alan that from the picture it appears old/genuine.