PDA

View Full Version : Domino Discs

talkinbaseball
07-18-2009, 08:04 PM
How were the 1909-12 Sweet Caporal Domino Discs issued?
thanks alot,
john guzze

brickyardkennedy
07-18-2009, 08:27 PM
My mistake

Jay Wolt
07-18-2009, 08:30 PM
Does this help?

Distributed with chewing gum in round tin containers

http://www.oldcardboard.com/e/e2/e254-270/e254-270.asp?cardsetID=770

No, those are Colgan's not Domino's
I assumed the Domino discs were inserted into Sweet Caporal cigarette packs

canjond
07-19-2009, 03:01 PM
I actually have wondered this for a while and have never found any proof of how they were issued. I have not included domino discs on my website for precisely this reason.

I would be hesitant to guess they were packaged in cigarette packs. Frankly o didn't see how they would fit. Rather, my guess is that they were point of sale give-a-aways.

I'd be curious to hear other's thoughts.

rdwyer
07-19-2009, 03:12 PM
I found this on this website:

http://www.oldbaseball.com/refs/tcards.html

"That leaves us with the "orphans", those cards showing no factory designation. Those cards issued with Cigars are in this category, as are the B-18 Blankets, C-46 Imperial Tobacco (Canada's only tobacco issue), H-801 Old Mill's, L-1 Leathers, P-2 Sweet Caporal Pins and PX-2 Domino Discs. Large Size cards (T-3, T-4, T-5, Plowboys) also fit in here as do the Cuban-issued Diaz cards. The "Unknown" cards are also rather esoteric. The S-81 Turkey Red Silks and Helmar Stamps may have been produced with a New York designation, while the Derby and Worch Cigar cards probably have no designation."

Cigars? Don't think so.

canjond
07-19-2009, 03:18 PM
I think dave is a frequent poster here so maybe he will have some info. However, what was written is not 100% accurate. For example, we know b18 blankets came attached to boxes of egyptienne straight cut cigarette boxes as intact packages have been disvovered.

nolemmings
07-19-2009, 04:04 PM
Dave may want to update that article, at least as relates to the Domino Disks, which are catalogued as px-7, and which clearly carry a Fact 30, 2nd Dist NY designation.

So Jon, you don't think the disks would fit in the Sweet Cap packs? How about the P2 pins, which are even thicker?

I have not seen any advertising for the disks, nor heard of anyone pulling one from a pack, but always assumed they were in some packs.

canjond
07-20-2009, 06:38 AM
I see no way how the pins/discs would fit in slide and shell boxes. There is no room whatsoever. So, it could be possible that pins/discs came packaged in a different configuration (such as a tin), but 1910-era tins did not have extra room for such a premium, either. The discs/pins may also have been attached to something that was attached to the package, but again, I have never seen remnants of a bands or a bag that had a pin or disc inside. My best guess would be they were given away at point-of-sale.

ChrisStufflestreet
07-20-2009, 07:41 AM
I found this on this website:

http://www.oldbaseball.com/refs/tcards.html

"That leaves us with the "orphans", those cards showing no factory designation. Those cards issued with Cigars are in this category, as are the B-18 Blankets, C-46 Imperial Tobacco (Canada's only tobacco issue), H-801 Old Mill's, L-1 Leathers, P-2 Sweet Caporal Pins and PX-2 Domino Discs. Large Size cards (T-3, T-4, T-5, Plowboys) also fit in here as do the Cuban-issued Diaz cards. The "Unknown" cards are also rather esoteric. The S-81 Turkey Red Silks and Helmar Stamps may have been produced with a New York designation, while the Derby and Worch Cigar cards probably have no designation."

What you're quoting was written perhaps 10-15 years ago (I, like Dave H., am a member of the OBC group whose page you linked to and the stuff on the site is rarely updated once it's posted). It's possible that some of the info has been rendered obsolete by subsequent hobby discoveries.