PDA

View Full Version : Is there a Conlon Collection catalog?

JasonL
07-16-2009, 02:35 PM
Forgive what may be a very simple question, as I am not a photograph guy, but is there a complete library or catalogue or index or list or gallery of all of Conlon's photos?
I know there has been a book and several series of cards featuring his work, but I was wondering if someone owns the collection of negatives, or reproduces them, or has published a definitive complete list or gallery of his images?

Thanks!
Jason

thekingofclout
07-17-2009, 03:59 AM
As stated on page 14 of Baseball's Golden Age - The Photographs of Charles M. Conlon - By Neal & Constance McCabe

"The Conlon Collection of The Sporting News consists of the photographer's 8,000 remaining original negatives."

Sincere regards, Jimmy

mjkm90
07-17-2009, 05:10 AM
The Conlon book is amazing. Is the Brace book in the same ball park? I'm considering buying a copy but havn't seen it in person.

JasonL
07-17-2009, 09:42 AM
I just completed an email correspondence with the Gallery that had been making Conlon Collection museum-quality prints for retail sale for The Sporting News, -and unfortunately, this activity ceased a couple years ago with ownership changes at TSN. I asked who might be doing them now or if they are available, and I got this reply, sadly:

"They are no longer making the photographs and the archivist who took such good care of them is no longer employed by The Sporting News"

very depressing, as I believe that had I been a few years earlier in this line of inquiry, I would have at least one amazing photo of my cousins...

bmarlowe1
07-17-2009, 09:50 AM
I recently used a TSN Conlon photo in an article I wrote. Rights were obtained from Zuma press. I think they now control the Conlon/TSN photos.