PDA

View Full Version : Who are our Hobby's Top Researchers?

JasonL
07-16-2009, 11:31 AM
Certainly, many of us have heard the names of hobby pioneers, both in terms of their vast collections, or the amount of knowledge they have contributed over the years. And it seems to me that the folks who have advanced the body of knowledge are the same people who have the larger collections and exposure to large amounts of cards over time. Seems to be a fair assumption, right? only makes sense.

But, are there any people in our hobby's history that developed a reputation as a top researcher or source of knowledge, who DIDN'T have an amazing collection (or flow of cards through his or her trading business) at his or her disposal?

I have no idea why this question came to mind. Perhaps I would like to think that I don't need to have a ton of money to be able to contribute to the hobby...but I wouldn't know where to start.

Perhaps that is a better direction in which to take this post: What are the hobby's top 25 questions that need answering (and can be worked on)?

I would be interested to hear people's thoughts on my idle chatter...:)

daviddbreadman
07-16-2009, 11:36 AM
I have no idea about his collection or history but I love when I get any chance to read anything on T206 from Ted Zandaskis (sp?). where have you been Ted!!! Edited to mention Scott Reader and his book. I just seem to have particular common interests in what Ted usually has to say.

slidekellyslide
07-16-2009, 11:59 AM
I think in general collectors are the top researchers...Look at the guys who put the Old Judge book together...they all have impressive collections of OJ cards. Teddy Z has amassed an impressive T206 collection. Leon is researching all kinds of sets since he's a type collector...probably no one knows more about the Nebraska Indians postcards and photos than I do. I don't know what kind of collection Bob Lemke has, but he is one of the hobby's top researchers....he asks and gets a lot of help.

Fred
07-16-2009, 12:29 PM
Dan,

You definitely hit the nail on the head - the OJ book guys (Jay, Richard, Joe) and Teddy Z-game. Teddy's always in there and the really nice thing about Ted is that he willingly and openly shares what he knows. I pass on reading a lot of threads but when Ted starts a thread about cards I'm usually curious.

barrysloate
07-16-2009, 12:41 PM
I just got off the phone with Ted Zanidakis (correct spelling). He has done amazing research and should be at the top of anyone's list.

FrankWakefield
07-16-2009, 12:54 PM
Ted Zanidakis and Scot Reader should be at the top of the list.

Lew Lipset would be in the top 5...

Jay Miller dug up considerable knowledge about the Old Judges.

I think additional scholars would include: Adam Warshaw, David Rudd, Frank Ward, Mark Macrea, Dan McKee.

These would be some of the living heavy hitters... I'm sure there are more, and apologies to whomever I didn't think of at the moment.

Matt
07-16-2009, 01:12 PM
Tim Newcomb should be in the discussion.

phlflyer1
07-16-2009, 01:22 PM
Although I haven't had a chance to read it yet, Erik Varons book on Philadelphia Caramel seems very thorough based upon what I know of it.

I think it will be a great contribution to hobby knowledge and worthy of his name being mentioned in this thread.

bcbgcbrcb
07-16-2009, 02:10 PM
How about Lyman Hardeman at Old Cardboard?

timn1
07-16-2009, 02:46 PM
as a researcher. He did a good bit of excellent spadework on the mystery Gold Medal Foods set before I took on the R313/R314 article, and was also extremely helpful on the other two (M101-4/5 and M116) I have been involved in.

I also want to mention Todd Schultz, who collaborated with me on the M101 article. Todd saw a whole bunch of stuff in those sets I would never have seen!

Thanks, Matt, for the plug-- good to see that somebody read those articles.

Tim

slidekellyslide
07-16-2009, 02:55 PM
Lyman is underrated because he doesn't give himself enough credit..... "Old cardboard staff" :)

brianp-beme
07-16-2009, 03:21 PM
I think certain aspects of vintage bb card research require at least access to quantities (collections, influx of cards as seen by dealers, etc) of cards being researched. That being said, I think the computer age has made it more possible to do cyber-research.

From the past I would like to mention Buck Barker, who did countless hours of research into the identity of players seen in such sets as Zeenuts--I believe Buck had a pretty impressive collection by the time he passed away, a good chunk of which he used as note-pads while researching at the archives of the Sporting News

Brian

dennis
07-16-2009, 03:25 PM
george vrechek at the obc site has some great research articles.

FrankWakefield
07-16-2009, 03:31 PM
Mentioning Mr. Barker, who indeed is worthy of mention, begs for a Memorial list of those that went before us:

Jefferson R. Burdick.
Edward Charles Wharton-Tigar
Preston Orem
Charles Bray
Walter Corlson
Richard S. Egan
Robert Payne
Bill Haber
G. Lionel Carter
John D. Wagner
Jim Horne
Buck Barker
Frank Nagy

13 heavyweights...

Rich Klein
07-16-2009, 03:43 PM
Are very important as well:

My former boss; Dr. Beckett really helped bring the hobby to everyone by making the original research palatable for a wider reach of collectors. Anything I ever did at Beckett was based on the work he had done previously (despite anything he will ever say :) )

Bob Lemke (and Dan Alpaugh before him IIRC and Don Fluckinger for those two years) also deserves a great deal of applause. The work he has done in getting new information out to the hobby should be very appreciated by all of us.

E&V gurus over the years such as Ralph Nozaki and Dick Gilkeson also helped in that venure and Sally Grace did a lot to alert collectors to counterfeit cards.

Lew Lipset's work is astounding as well. We printed some of his "unpublished" work in the old Beckett Vintage magazine

Scott Reader and my good long-time friend Teddy Z have done great things with T-206 building on the work of Bill Heitman.

I forgot Mr. Egan who did some of the best 1970's cataloguing.

If I think of more people; I'll edit and add to this

Rich

Orioles1954
07-16-2009, 04:00 PM
The writing staff at Huggins & Scott Auctions :)

Wite3
07-16-2009, 05:09 PM
I love these questions...

Ted Z. is certainly at the forefront currently in researching the t206.
Leon and Bob Lemke both have a vast knowledge of type cards. Leon more pre-war and Bob more post-war.
If it is boxing I need to know about, then I head to Adam W.
Jewish players is Alan.
PCL is Mark Macrae. Mark has helped me with a bunch of PCL stuff in years past.
Midwest is Dan B.
Have not seen Pete Calderone around much but I used to get tons of info. from him on caramel cards.
I would also like to say that I know very few people as knowledgeable about Topps issues as George Vercheck and David Hornish. Both of them know oddball and regular Topps better than most.
Honorable mention goes to Lyman, Rich Klein, and Tim Newcomb. All have increased my knowledge.

Joshua

smokeyjoewood
07-16-2009, 05:22 PM
All of the above, plus a definite shout out to Tim N., who did articles on two of my favorite sets, t207 and m116.

snider4prez
07-16-2009, 05:41 PM
So many great names listed. I would say this board in a whole. Some names not listed, Keith Olberman and Lionel Carter both wrote many great articles. I would have to totaly agree with Jay Miller and Joe that OJ book was one of the greatest peice of reaserch done, on a very complicated set to date IMO. Also Larry Fritsch. One of the most personal researchers in Non-Sports would have to be Chad Dreier. I sure hope all the reasearch done on this board is never lost in cyber space. I think someone (Leon) should put a Net 54 reasearch book together so that this info here is never lost. I have learned more here in the past five years than my whole life of collecting. Great job board keep it up!!!!

Trevor

I had to add Rob Lifson ofcourse.

Joe_G.
07-16-2009, 08:03 PM
There are many . . .

I'd like to add <b>Bob Richardson</b> for his many years of continued research and sharing.

I also would like to mention forum members John Dreker and Kevin Cummings for their top notch research and help on the OJ project alone.

Another favorite of mine, for his study of the Detroit Wolverines, is Troy Kirk.

Rhett & Rhys Yeakley come up with insane bits of trivia.

tedzan
07-16-2009, 08:11 PM
Lyman Hardeman for publishing one of the finest publications this hobby has ever seen. He is the
quintessential editor. When I wrote my OC article on the 1949 LEAF BB set, Lyman's intellectual
curiosity motivated me to do more research into the "nitty-gritty" of certain subtleties of this set.
And, because of this, a more informative story was presented.

Scot Reader for providing us a long awaited new perspective on "The Monster". His research has
clarified many of the T206 complexities; and, has given us a better appreciation of these cards.
Scot's book is a tremendous contribution to this hobby....a must read for both beginner and ad-
vanced collectors of the T206 cards.

Finally, I'd like to thank all those who have posted some very kind words on my behalf here. To
David (of Rhode Island)....believe it or not guy, T206's are not even my most favorite cards. Ac-
tually, my favorite is the 1888 N162 set, followed by the 1941 Play Ball, then the 1949 Leaf and
Bowman sets. However, the T206's stir up an endless curiosity in me, that will last a lifetime.

TED Z

ethicsprof
07-16-2009, 08:19 PM
Ted, My jaw dropped below the floor when i read your "T206s are not even
my most favorite cards." Having gathered myself together a wee bit, I must
say that you have made the Monster come alive in numerous ways for those
of us dedicated to the Monster and your are,indeed, Researcher par excellence.

I must also say that Jon Canfield has been incredibly helpful as a researcher
in the areas interweaving cards and packs. Not only has he created a top drawer book and website, he offers help gladly at every turn.

Kudos to the many already mentioned.

best,

barry

E93
07-16-2009, 09:08 PM
I think Keith Olberman deserves some recognition. He wrote a lot in the '70's and 80's for hobby publications and still does periodically. He researched the names of the 8 T206 proofs that were discovered about ten years ago.
JimB

Rich Klein
07-16-2009, 09:12 PM
Did a ton of articles back in the day as well.

In honestly; anyone who helped us; has brought up to this day. And with computers; it's much easier to be an "expert" now than it was back in the day when you had to accumulate and really learn from your mistakes what was good and what was not

Rich

sreader3
07-18-2009, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the kind mentions.

Lew Lipset is at the top of my list due to the depth and breadth of his landmark Encyclopedia of Baseball Cards.

Bill Heitman deserves a mention for his pioneering The Monster.

And Bob Lemke for his diligent work on the Standard Catalog.

I have also enjoyed several articles researched and written on T206 by Keith Olbermann in VCBC and one on M101-4/5 in Old Cardboard by Tim Newcomb and Todd Schultz.

My own T206 research was helped immensely by (in alphabetical order):

Marc Bourgea
Jamie Hull
Art Martineau
Jim Riviera
Brian Weisner
Ted Zanidakis

I know I am leaving many others out; apologies for that.

Scot

lhardem
07-19-2009, 10:49 AM
First, the kind words on my behalf expressed earlier in this thread are very much appreciated. Thank you.

When I first entered the vintage card hobby, it was Lew Lipset's Encyclopedia of Baseball Cards that gave me the jump start that motivated me to begin a vintage type card collection. I often refer to it and his Old Judge Newsletters even today for details about most all key tobacco, gum and 19th century card sets. I will always be grateful to Lew for this important contribution.

Also, I have always been in awe when reflecting on the massive effort of Jefferson Burdick in organizing and documenting the American Card Catalog at a time when research could only be accomplished via snail mail a few little tidbits at at time. His tedious (and no doubt sometimes lonely) work will forever establish him as a true pioneer in the hobby.

In addition, I would be remiss if I did not recognize the many researchers who have contributed articles to Old Cardboard magazine (many of whom are mentioned in the above thread). They all deserve special recognition for sharing their research with the hobby. A few already mentioned in the thread above are Jon Canfield, Joe Gonsowski, David Hornish, Lew Lipset, Leon Luckey, Mark Macrae, Jay Miller, Tim Newcomb, Todd Schultz, Scot Reader, Adam Warshaw, George Vrechek and Ted Zanidakis. Other key researchers and contributors include Rob Adesso, John Bowden, Rob Dewolf, Eric Eichelkraut, John Esch, Ted Golden, Paul Griggs, Frank Keetz, Terry Knouse, Brian McQueen, Glenn Mechanick, Scott Mosley, Robert Silverman, Jerry Spillman, Chris Stufflestreet, John Spano and more.

Thanks again to all,
Lyman

Epps
07-19-2009, 02:31 PM
When I first started collecting Black Sox cards, i frequently went to Ted Golden for help and would like to thank him. Both him and Erik V have wonderful sites.

ChrisStufflestreet
07-19-2009, 09:06 PM
Chiming in...I've had a hobby-related website for nearly 10 years and have written stuff for publications including Old Cardboard, but have found through 25+ years of collecting that the more I learn, the more I don't know.

I've even written a booklet (now out of print) on hobby history but am not an expert on the subject. I will, however, echo the previous poster who mentioned how much easier info is since the internet entered our lives.

The best part about the hobby is that there is always somebody I can call on when I need to find out about something. It doesn't matter what the topic is.