PDA

View Full Version : Joe McCarthy/Louisville Colonels questions

aelefson
07-15-2009, 06:36 PM
Hi-
I recently acquired the photo scanned below and after I purchased it the dealer said he bought it out of Joe McCarthy's estate. He also had a few other items such as autographed Yankee baseballs and more that made it seem plausible that he had obtained these through his estate.
I doubt it, but is there any chance that this is McCarthy at a young age? He played minor league ball from 1907-1921 before becoming a manager. The only team he played for that might have had a C on its jersey was the Louisville Colonels. He played for them from 1916-1921.
I want to make it clear that I bought this picture because I liked the image and the price was right. I did not learn of the possible connection to Joe McCarthy until after I paid the dealer. That being said, here are my questions:
1. Does anyone know where I might be able to find images of a younger McCarthy to compare this photo to? I am not an expert, but it did not look like McCarthy to me when I viewed his much older visage on Wikipedia.
2. Does anyone know if the Louisville Colonels ever just had a C on their uniforms between 1916 and 1921?
3. Any idea on the approximate age of this photo? I was thinking 1900-1905 which would mean it could not be the Colonels and is just some unidentified person, or an early college/high school image of McCarthy.
Any information or thoughts concerning this photo would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com

BrockJacob
07-15-2009, 08:03 PM
I have a 1923 Louisville Colonels team photo with McCarthy as manager. In '23 they had an L on the jersey. Here is Joe from the photo for comparison.

bcbgcbrcb
07-16-2009, 05:26 AM
Don't think it is McCarthy

aelefson
07-16-2009, 08:14 AM
Thanks Phil and Brock! I agree that it does not look like McCarthy especially based on Brock's photo (thanks again for the photo Brock!). I really appreciate any additional information or opinions people are willing to share.
Alan

autograf
07-16-2009, 08:27 AM
Most of the Louisville uni's I've seen from that timeframe have had 'L' on them.........