PDA

View Full Version : Lost Item On Ebay Because of What???

slidekellyslide
07-15-2009, 10:26 AM
I flipped on the computer this morning and went straight to my email like I always do and saw that a Gavel Snipe was not completed so I checked it out...apparently my bid did not register because "User not allowed to buy from seller"...I was blocked from bidding on one of Jonsstats auctions and I had no idea why so I tried to bid on one of his current auctions and it told me that my account was not connected to Paypal...now I've had a paypal account for however long Paypal has been around and I've been using it with ebay since day one to both buy and sell and I've never had this happen. I guess the good news is that when I bid on one of his current auctions it gave me the option to "Get connected" which I guess I now am. :rolleyes:

How ridiculous.

Jim VB
07-15-2009, 10:46 AM
Happened to me once. I think the word they used at the time was "linked" instead of "connected".

Turns out it's a setting the seller can select to only allow accounts that are linked, to bid in their auctions. If that's selected on the sellers account, they are inadvertently eliminating many potential bidders.

In my case, the seller was ticked because my snipe was a couple of hundred $ higher than the winning bid. No matter who won (me or the other bidder) he cost himself money.

Only took about 5 minutes to fix but never would have known otherwise.

shammus
07-15-2009, 10:48 AM
I've ALWAYS gotten lousy messages like this whenever I've tried to use sniping services. It seems like there's a thousand really obscure things that could go wrong just like that. I guess placing the bid manually gave you the option to "get connected" but there's no way to get around that with the automated sniping services. I've not used any service like this in a very long time - if I want something bad enough, I figure out a way to be in front of the computer one way or another. I'd sooner ask someone else to bid for me than rely on one of those. Very frustrating and I can relate for sure :(

D. Bergin
07-15-2009, 10:56 AM
Ebay seems to be putting more and more roadblocks in for 3rd party services.

I use a 3rd party lister to put up my auctions because I refuse to use Ebay's horrible listing system. Lately however it seems more and more of my auctions are getting bounced or rejected before they even list because of Ebay's continuing policy revisions, changes, etc..

It usually ends up being easily correctable but it's seems to be a constant pain in the ass lately.

Jacklitsch
07-15-2009, 12:41 PM
The most recent problem I've had using Hammersnipe is when I enter the item number a message appears that the item is a BIN and therefore cannot be entered as a snipe. The auction in question was not a BIN.

Last night I lost a neat 1909 postcard that had Jim McGuire (and was addressed to him) and Addie Joss that likely was the last image of Joss before his death. I had to bid manually and unfortunately this gave the winner time to top me.

Wonder if this is an eBay problem or Hammersnipe?

slidekellyslide
07-15-2009, 01:35 PM
The most recent problem I've had using Hammersnipe is when I enter the item number a message appears that the item is a BIN and therefore cannot be entered as a snipe. The auction in question was not a BIN.

Last night I lost a neat 1909 postcard that had Jim McGuire (and was addressed to him) and Addie Joss that likely was the last image of Joss before his death. I had to bid manually and unfortunately this gave the winner time to top me.

Wonder if this is an eBay problem or Hammersnipe?

That was a sweet postcard, but Joss pitched 1 1/2 more seasons after that postcard was mailed so I don't think it was anywhere near the last image of him....he does look like one sick puppy in that photo though.

BCauley
07-16-2009, 04:03 PM
I use Auctionsniper.com for ebay. Though I don't buy an awful lot, I have yet to have any issues with it. As for the listing format for ebay, it is dreadful. I've got some stuff I want to put up there but have procrastinated because it takes awhile. I first got on ebay in '97 or '98 I believe. It was so quick and easy to list, I could list a boatload of cards in 1/2 an hour. Now it seems to take that long to list 5 items. What a pain. :(

ibuysportsephemera
07-17-2009, 04:08 AM
Quicksnipe is free and works great.