PDA

View Full Version : Strange Tip Top Pricing

paul
07-15-2009, 09:58 AM
Why is this:

http://www.goodwinandco.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=11221

Selling for more than this:

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=97781

Same card. Same technical grade. But the cheaper one obviously presents much, much more cleanly. And the auctions are only a short time apart. I guess I should have sucked it up and bought the first one. I was expecting the second one to sell for at least a thousand less than the first one.

Bicem
07-15-2009, 10:07 AM
was very surprised at the price of the Goodwin one too!

Matt
07-15-2009, 10:11 AM
Why is this:

I was expecting the second one to sell for at least a thousand less than the first one.

A few thoughts come to mind - maybe some others out there were also holding out for the second one as you were and now don't want to be without one. Or maybe it has something to do with the auction houses...

ullmandds
07-15-2009, 10:21 AM
Perhaps PSA Registry People too lazy too cross over cards? The SGC is much nicer in my opinion.

TipTopBread
07-15-2009, 10:39 AM
A follow up to Paul's comments: TIP TOP PRICING

These cards are very hard to predict the pricing! The Dreyfuss in the SCD listing VG is $900. When he became member of HOF in Dec. 07 and with the POPULATION from SGC a total of 11, 5 being SGC 10's, I believe this is what is driving the record sales price of this card. The Goodwin auction of March 08, the Dreyfuss SGC 50, (of which there is 1 per SGC Population) went for $9,595. In the very same auction a SIMON SGC 50 went for $1,980. At the recent Mastro I picked up a SIMON SGC 40 for $248. I pick up 2 Fred Clarke's SGC 30's for both under $2K. The Goodwin auction of March 08 Fred Clarke SGC 30 went for $4,249. Around Jul. 08 a Fred Clarke on EBay SGC 40, the bid was somewhere around $2,125.

At this point I have near completion of 2 Sets, 25 in one set, 24 in the second.

I have NO CLUE what the value of these 2 Sets, are. I guess I just have to sell them to find out what they are worth.

Any Tip Top Fans have any valuation comments?

paul
07-15-2009, 12:57 PM
I actually didn't hold off on Legendary's card. I was the underbidder. When I saw Goodwin's, hope renewed that I would own one of these things. I guess not. Do any of you have a nice one with severe back damage? Or maybe slightly trimmed?

Leon
07-15-2009, 01:01 PM
When you go to VCP and look at pricing you can always tell the Goodwin cards (pick a set, any set)....just look for the ones that have sold for 400% of all of the others and you barely have to look at the venue.....it's almost unbelievable.....

TipTopBread
07-15-2009, 01:33 PM
Paul,
As I mentioned I have 1 complete set, and 24/25 in my second set.
This is my only Dreyfuss. I too was going to go for the Mastro or Goodwin! But the bidding just got out of control, should have grabbed the Mastro, but I believe who ever won it, the sky was the limit!
HOPE YOU LIKE IT!

Rob D.
07-15-2009, 02:47 PM
When you go to VCP and look at pricing you can always tell the Goodwin cards (pick a set, any set)....just look for the ones that have sold for 400% of all of the others and you barely have to look at the venue.....it's almost unbelievable.....

Leon,

Because you're in the auction business, you might appreciate this. I remember that not long ago on this board the topic came up regarding the high prices Goodwin's auctions realize. One board member explained that Bill does a really good job marketing his auctions, and sometimes he takes some cards from an upcoming auction to shows and displays them on his table(s). Kind of to whet collectors' appetites. You and Scott might want to consider something like this.

chaddurbin
07-15-2009, 03:01 PM
from the title of the thread i expected the goodwin to have doubled the mastro card with one day to go...but it's still relatively in the same neighborhood...albeit the legendary is much nicer.

from my experience when multiples of the same cards come up for auction people hold back on the first lot figuring there's always a second shot/let market dictate price and go stronger on the latter...kinda like the t206 planks that went in silk road and rea.

slidekellyslide
07-15-2009, 03:04 PM
Goodwin also sends out a lot of catalogs...I signed up a long time ago and only participated in that one auction...didn't win anything and yet I still get all of their catalogs....so I think they just don't drop anyone off their list.

Leon
07-15-2009, 03:10 PM
I think Bill Goodwin is a nice guy and runs a great auction. His marketing is very good too. I don't take anything away from his efforts. Great catalogs too......

Rob D- we will have some of our items in our next auction at the National for show.....so if anyone wants to get some exposure with a consignment ;).....hey, can't blame a guy for a plug every great once in a while.....

Rob D.
07-15-2009, 03:38 PM
Rob D- we will have some of our items in our next auction at the National for show.

Excellent, Leon. Good marketing decision, sir.

My guess is you'll see positive results from this in your next auction.

botn
07-16-2009, 08:58 AM
Haven't there been several threads bashing Legendary and pointing out their less than impressive prices realized?

calvindog
07-16-2009, 10:12 AM
Greg, this is true. I found that Bill and Doug used to be master marketers -- probably better than Bill Goodwin -- but then they seemed to have lost their mojo about 18 months ago. Sometimes marketing magic just disappears overnight.

Peter_Spaeth
07-16-2009, 10:29 AM

Door #2??? :D:D