PDA

View Full Version : Player ID Help - Sam Levinson

vintagebrett
07-15-2009, 06:51 AM
Hello

Was wondering if anyone here is familiar with a Sam Levinson that may have some connection to the game of baseball. I found this endorsed glove of his yesterday and I can't seem to find any information on such a player that would fit into the time frame of the glove (mid 1930's). There is no model number that I can see but the glove is definitely top of the line. I've exhausted my glove resources trying to find information and thought I'd throw it out there. Any information would be great. Pics are of the signature. Thanks.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b313/vintagebrett/levinsonglove1.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b313/vintagebrett/levinsonglove2.jpg

slidekellyslide
07-15-2009, 10:19 AM
There was a Levinson that played in the Nebraska State League in 1930 and 31, but I don't have a first name for him. There was a Sam Levinson that played one season in 1913 for Ypsilanti.

vintagebrett
07-15-2009, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the information. I had found the Levinson from 1913 but that doesn't fit into the time frame of the glove. Hard to believe that D&M would make a top of the line glove for a player from the Nebraska State League but I've seen stranger things on a glove.

Chris Counts
07-15-2009, 07:14 PM
Some surprising obscure players have had their signatures engraved on gloves. I recall Nokona used to get minor leaguers to endorse gloves. I've heard they even produced a Billy Martin signature model ... not the Yankees' second baseman, but a minor leaguer with the same name. The kids who bought the glove probably never knew the difference. I've seen other minor leaguers on gloves as well. A friend recently showed me his dad's old glove, and it was engraved with the signature of some minor league first baseman who never made it to the major leagues ...

slidekellyslide
07-16-2009, 10:11 AM
I was going through my gloves today and found a Nokona Gene Clough endorsed glove...he never played in the majors, but had a 7 year minor league career. I wonder what kind of compensation Nokona gave those minor leaguers?

vintagebrett
07-16-2009, 10:32 AM
Yes, Nokona is definitely the company that had the most endorsed minor league players - I'm guessing most out of Texas because of their proximity to the plant.

I've seen some strange endorsements over the years - minor leaguers, company executives, managers. Fun stuff to look into.