PDA

View Full Version : Dealers (or fellow collectors) who lit the fire

Rob D.
07-12-2009, 01:20 PM
Spent a couple hours today cutting the grass, and as I'm apt to do because it makes the time go by faster, I started thinking about cards and memorabilia. Specifically I daydreamed about the upcoming National and what I might hope to find.

Then it hit me: For the past three decades or so, the main thing I think about when cutting the grass is my collecting. What's more, my most vivid recollection of doing this is dates to the first time (they say you never forget your first time). It was 1975 or '76 and as a 12- or 13-year-old I had just received my first price list through the mail. I still remember the seller's name and city: Victor Franc in Canoga Park, Calif.

The idea that I, a kid in Ohio, could buy cards as old as those issued in 1910 (not to mention ones of Mickey Mantle and Bob Feller from the 1950s) from someone across the country in California was mind-boggling at the time. The fact I can remember the name and city of the seller but not what I bought also is a bit puzzling.

Anyway, anyone else remember the names of some of the not-so-big-time advertisers in SCD (when it was a legitimate publication) and The Trader Speaks who might have started you on the collecting trail?

glynparson
07-12-2009, 01:27 PM
There was an older gentleman by the name of Vince who used to set up at the Renninger's Antique market in Adamstown PA. He is the one through his kindness and stories that got me hooked on baseball card collecting. Later a former neighbor by the name of Francis "Beanie" Schlottman got me hooked on the idea of being a baseball card dealer, which despite a short turn in real estate and at SGC is my current profession.

ChiefBenderForever
07-12-2009, 01:45 PM
I used to mow as many lawns as possible in the early to mid 1980's and spent it all on wax packs from Ben Franklin and mail orders from a few different people. I think the guys name was Paul Golden or something like that. He used to send out monthly hand written sheets photo copied with what he had, I remember one order I picked up a vg T205 for 1.00, a nice 1966 Lou Brock for 50 cents and a 1964 Duke Snider for 2.00 that was really nice. I also always ordered as many different Harmon Killebrew and Pete Rose as possible and picked up a real nice vg Killebrew RC for 2.00. He was a wonderful seller. The anticipation of waiting for the packages to come in the mail was something else.

calvindog
07-12-2009, 01:52 PM
My downfall started with the Sporting News and Renata Galasso's ads in the back.

Peter_Spaeth
07-12-2009, 02:05 PM
When I started back collecting in the early 90s I used to love Steve Timmons' SCD ads with all NM/MT and even MT gems.

slidekellyslide
07-12-2009, 02:17 PM
My dad got me started on prewar cards when he gave me three Old Judge cards he found in a scrapbook. However there were no card shows or shops around my area that ever had old stuff and when I went to college my baseball collecting days were over....it wasn't until ebay came around in 1997 or 98 that I got back into cards by purchasing T206 cards. I also never saw an SCD until the late 1980s when I was already in college and no longer buying. I still have a bunch of my old Baseball Card Magazines and was looking through a few the other day...there are NO ads at all for prewar baseball cards. However I enjoyed the article on who the hot players to pick up in the 1987 Topps set - anyone remember Mike Aldrete???

barrysloate
07-12-2009, 02:24 PM
The first mail order dealer who helped me get started was Kit Young. He always had a lot of material in his SCD ads and he was very hands on. He would take my order and spend a good deal of time answering my questions. I remember buying my first 52 Topps high number from him, and then asked the beginner's question of did he know of anyone who had ever completed a 52 Topps set:o
There were others I bought from before Kit but he was the first that made me feel like a real collector.

sando69
07-12-2009, 03:08 PM
wow wolfie-
i can clearly remember driving over 60 miles, to victor franc's canoga park home in a continuous downpour (must have been the late 70's).
the booty was worth it, tho... about 200 vg to ex+ t205 & t206's, including tougher cards & hof'ers, for under $500! :D
i'll bet i even still own at least a few of those cards, too.
other names from my early collecting years include:
goodwin goldfaden- adco sports book exchange, los angeles
will & ginnie davis- the baseball card shop, fullerton, ca
tony galovich- fantasy illustrated, garden grove, ca
from tts: robert ball & jeff goldman, as well as kit young, come to mind...

skooter
07-12-2009, 03:59 PM
I collected baseball cards as a young boy, from around 1952 through 1960 when I finished high school. To say I just "collected" them would be an understatement; they were my passion. However, when I moved on in life, I remember giving them to my cousins and never gave them another thought. Then in 1974, while watching my daughter play softball, I went into a drugstore across the street from the park. I came across a paperback book entitled "The Great American Baseball Card Flipping, Trading and Bubble Gum Book" by Brendan C Boyd and Fred Harris. I'm 66 now and I haven't stopped collecting since. Thanks guys.

Exhibitman
07-12-2009, 04:33 PM
I remember Vic Frank very well from the old West Coast Card Club meetings in Northridge. I visited Goldfadden's shop once but he wasn't very nice so it was only once.

robedits
07-12-2009, 04:58 PM
For me,it was Ron St Angelo of RST cards.
I had a few of my dad's cards from his childhood (Goudeys etc). I had also always been a baseball history buff,ever since we visited my mom's ancient relative George (Nap) Rucker down south when I was a child...and I found out he was an old time ballplayer.
Anyway, Ronnie was a former student of my dad's (from about 15-20 years earlier).Sometime in the mid 80s, my retired dad must have run into him during a walk in town (Ron had a store in town, in my hometown of Lindenhurst,Long Island).
My dad knew I loved collecting as a child,and it had been at least a dozen years since I looked at my cards. He suggested I stop into Ronny's store some weekend,so I did. And I was hooked again. Old cards,some new cards,only baseball cards. he had a good selection of vintage,had weekly raffles etc.
There was another dealer in Farmingdale,LI,name of Frank. And another guy,who was a former gym teacher of mine,also in Lindenhurst. THey all got me back into going to the hofstra shows,then the White Plains shows,SCD,and the like.
I admit I spent way too much of my money in Ronnie's store and at the shows,considering what I was making at the time,and unfortunately I was just getting back into the hobby during it's peak and before the fall. Still,it was challenging and fun.
At the shows,there was a gracious older couple from PA,that always set up at the WHite Plains shows, who always had a ncie vintage selection and I bought from them often.Still setting up there last time I attended ( a year or so ago). Always nice to talk to,and THEY got me back into OPC collecting.
Meeting the ostentatious Mark Murphy at one of the WP shows got me into older wax,BIG time,in early 90s. Had a large collection at one time;all now sold.
Finally,the gentleman (Jim Ryan) who now runs the WP shows was a great dealer and helpd me out plenty over the years. Also purchased the bulk of my vintage collection years ago. Super nice guy,and very knowledgeable.

ErikV
07-12-2009, 05:07 PM
With the National just around the corner, this thread reminded me
of a couple of dealers I had the "pleasure" of meeting at the very
first National in LA.

I recall seeing Mr. Mint at the show. At the time he was a pretty
big name in the hobby. I recall seeing him and his hundred dollar
bills at the front door. The other was a fellow by the name of
Kovak. As I recall, my brother and I had a designated meeting
place in front of Kovac's table that day. When he saw us there
he rather rudly snapped something to the effect of buy something
or leave his the area of his table.

I always wondered what happened to Kovak as many of his ads in
baseball card price guides seem to have disappered sometime after
that meeting with him.

Rich Klein
07-12-2009, 05:15 PM
From what I have heard; he is no longer involved in the hobby and is living a hermit-like existence.

Regards
Rich

canjond
07-12-2009, 05:35 PM
Frank Keetz def got me hooked on vintage...

Koufax
07-12-2009, 05:39 PM
I built up a large part of my Topps collection in the mid-80's from Gary Dollar at the Mid-Atlantic Coin Exchange. I know their ads were in Baseball Cards magazine, not sure where else. I'd respond to Gary's ads for complete sets in VG-EX condition, and Gary was always very accommodating and generous with his grading, at least for me. Wonder where Gary is these days ...

Rob D.
07-12-2009, 05:40 PM
... and is living a hermit-like existence.

I had heard something like that, too. I think it happened just after he tracked down and found the one person left who he had not alienated.

wolfdogg
07-12-2009, 05:40 PM
that I started buying from back in '83 (started collecting in '82) was Kit Young (still have the old "catalogs" from early 80s), Larry Fritsch (bought my first T206s from him--group lot of (5) w/ 1 HOFer...Bresnahan portrait..and my 1st Old Judges...still have a lot of old "One-of-a-Kind" catalogs from early-mid 80s) and David Kohler (SportsCardsPlus---still have "catalogs" from early 80s).....those were the days...........few others were Conlon, Festberg, Mayfield..........

Bill Stone
07-12-2009, 05:50 PM
Richard Gelman's Card Collectors Co. of New York.

GRock
07-12-2009, 06:07 PM
I just ran across a price list (circa 1982) from Howard's (Findlay, Ohio) 1952 Topps #311, $925.00

Brian Van Horn
07-12-2009, 06:28 PM
My fire was self-lighting. I found a ripped in half 1972 Topps Jimmy Rosario on the hill next to my grade school. I took it home to be stapled together by mother. I still have the card and the staples are still in place.

SteveVerkman
07-12-2009, 06:49 PM
I was into 1950s and 1960s Topps cards from about 1979 but after seeing Dan McKee at a show in Silver Spring MD in 1989 and his table of exclusively pre-war cards, I was hooked. I immediately bought a pair of high grade 1940 Play Ball Lajoies and met him a few days later to get a 1938 Goudey DiMaggio. I have been more or less addicted in various degrees to pre-war cards since then...

Jantz
07-12-2009, 07:18 PM
OJ did it.

I hate to admit it. When the OJ story hit the TV, I said to my father that I probably have a dozen of his football cards from when I was a kid. Of course the story was on the TV non-stop, so I couldn't get the thought of my old sportscards out of my head. So few days later I stopped down to my parent's house, went through the attic and found all my sportscards from when I was younger. That was all it took and I was hooked again.

Jantz

judsonhamlin
07-12-2009, 07:22 PM
Mark me down for Renata Galasso, as well. 1000 1977 Topps, throw in the 76 traded set and a pack of Galasso Stars of the 30's or whatnot. All for 8.99 or something insane.
Then I discovered the Route 1 Flea market in New Brunswick. There were always 5-6 dealers with cards. I still have a 1941 PB Foxx that i got there for next to nothing.

Theoldprofessor
07-12-2009, 07:23 PM
Two guys whose patience and generosity are surely worth mentioning:

-- Max Nanney, retired principal of Mooresville HS, Mooresville, NC. Max and wife Beth would set up at the local "big" flea market once a month. I still own the first T206s he sold me. Two Cobbs, red and bat on, in Ex-Mt. $150 each, which was about right in those days;

-- Chandy Greenholt, whose knowledge of cards was (and I hope still is) matched only by his friendly and helpful approach to selling them.

If either of you happens to read this, thanks from an old guy who stilll hasn't learned enough.

GrayGhost
07-12-2009, 07:35 PM
When I was a kid, I bought cards in the late 60s/mid 70s, but threw them out, and some were lost.

Vividly, when I was about 12, my friend who lived across the street and I had a "Joint card collection". We pooled allowances, and went to a small antique shop here in town and got a HANK AARON rookie w a corner crease for 7.00. long time ago. I remember that card not like I got it near 35 years ago, but yesterday, Sadly, our collection was lost in a basement flood in his house in 78. I then bought more packs, the 78 wax packs by the bushel..haha.

After sliding again, in the middle 80s, I met Famous Neil Sakow, who had a GREAT Mantle and Howdy and JFK collection and museum here in CT. I had won a gift certificate to his dad's store a few years earlier, and Neil had a display there, and I got a 1956 Whitey Ford, But, in the 80s, Neil sold me a lot, and I gained a lot of knowledge from him.

Over the years, financial reasons have cause my collecting and dealing days to be curtailed a lot, but those are some of my fond memories, and I still have love for the hobby, especially the old memorabilia.

Writehooks
07-12-2009, 07:40 PM
For me, it started with mailing $8 (Canadian!) to a guy in Detroit for a four-issue subscription to The Sports Hobbyist, circa 1974. I remember the price, because he sent a note with the first issue, commenting on how "cool" the Canuck $2 bills looked. It was a pretty amateurish publication, but fascinating nonetheless.

As I recall, the only professional-looking ad was for The Card Collectors Company in NYC. When I received their first catalog, I spent the whopping sum of $40 to acquire complete Topps hockey sets from 1962-65. I subsequently acquired a couple of dozen T206s (which I later swapped for more hockey cards) and began corresponding with some of the classified advertisers. Subscriptions to The Trader Speaks and SCD quickly followed, and I've been hooked ever since...

painthistorian
07-12-2009, 07:43 PM
For me, it was Paul Gallagher of NY, he ran the earliest organized monthly shows during the mid 70's in NYC at the armenian church and later the Prince George Hotel in NYC, he had rubber banded stacks of everything from T206's to Topps & Bowmans, all grades were mixed together. He was a great guy to know and inspired me to further my knowledge of sports cards. Everyone from that era knew Paul and he had many great finds of vintage collectables and was fair to transact with.

sox1903wschamp
07-12-2009, 08:30 PM
For me it was my childhood friend from Waltham, MA. From age 8-15, we collected every year of Topps cards from 68-75 . When I was 15, my family moved from Boston to Kansas City and I said goodbye to my friend.

It was tough to stay in touch those days from 1500 miles apart but I went back and visited 3 years later and he had been busy collecting all of the "old" sets from the 40's and 50's in that time and had bought out every collection in the town it seems because he had an organized unreal collection that just left me in awe. I was hooked.

From there, I found the back of the Sporting News for my first "old" cards which I think were 62 Topps and then on to subscriptions to SCD and the Trader Speaks in 78 or 79 and my first card show in St.Louis in 79 at the Holiday Inn.

I have lost touch with my childhood friend a long time ago but he was my inspiration for becoming a collector.

grandslamcardscria
07-12-2009, 09:07 PM
As a kid I started collecting in the early 70's.. The majority of all my purchases was hockey.. I suppose that was all that was left over at the local grocery store in my hometown...
Years had passed and early on in my marriage I literally pulled that shoebox from my parents attic.. Surprisingly enough most of the cards were still rubber banded together and still in amazingly decent shape. This old shoebox got me back into collecting...
Some of my early deals were with Kit Young and Bill Henderson and I was very envious of there inventory... When the internet came to be I was very active on different BBS 's and participated in Teletrade auctions.. I was a huge fan of the early online auctions prior to Ebay.. I remember discovering Rottmans auctions and thought I was in heaven... Man, Id spend $1000's on 50's commons and superstars.. I just couldnt believe the bulk I could buy for so little...
I also remember buying off David Rudd and his list auctions by email.... This is where I got my first taste of some really great pre war material.. Darn him anyways!!!!

Steve D
07-12-2009, 09:26 PM
After getting started through Larry Fritsch and Renata Galasso from 1975-77, I kept going via dealings with card shop owners like Bill Goepner, Nacho Arredondo, J.R. Hewitt and Nelson Katz in San Diego CA, as well as at card shows with guys like Steve Brunner, Will Davis, Bill Heitman, Tony Galovich and Charlie Seaver from L.A., as well as Frank and Vivian Barning.

Steve

slidekellyslide
07-12-2009, 09:37 PM
-- Chandy Greenholt, whose knowledge of cards was (and I hope still is) matched only by his friendly and helpful approach to selling them.

I've bought a ton of stuff off of ebay from Chandy. He is TOP SHELF...for sure.

sando69
07-12-2009, 10:50 PM
weren't goepner & nacho partners?
i just cannot picture bill at the moment...
did you ever attend gregg hara & george grauer's scottish rite temple shows (first friday of every month)?

Steve D
07-12-2009, 11:58 PM
Mark,

Yes Bill and Nacho were partners (and brothers in law...Bill's wife Connie was Nacho's sister). Bill owned San Diego Sports Collectibles on 5th Avenue downtown (about a block or two from Balboa Park). I actually worked for him there for a time, while going to junior college.

I never attended any of the Hara/Grauer shows, as I left San Diego in January of 1985 to join the Air Force, where I spent the next 24 years of my life :). I do remember Gregg, as he set up at shows, but didn't begin running his own shows until after I'd enlisted. The only shows we had prior to that were monthly shows at the old Parkway Bowl in El Cajon. That's where I met Steve Brunner, Tony Galovich and a few others from the L.A. area. There were also a couple of big annual conventions called "The San Diego Show" held down at the Town and Country Convention Center. I saw and bought my first 19th Century cards (N28 Clarkson and Keefe) from Larry Shane at one of them. He'd come out from Philadelphia for the show. I also went to a couple of shows up in Anaheim.

Back to Bill Goepner, one interesting anecdote...his father was in the Navy in 1941, and was the man who fired the U.S.' first shot of WWII, on the Japanese midget submarine that was caught entering Pearl Harbor prior to the Japanese fleet's arrival.

Steve

pete zouras
07-13-2009, 06:38 AM
Purchased a few early 70s Topps sets and a 64 Topps giants set from Renata Galasso. Back then I wished I had found out about her earlier; it would have saved me a lot of money and trips to the drugstore. I didn't live near a card store, but several of the 41 playballs I traded/bought had/have "Bill Johnson" signed on the back--apparently the name of a card store (or card store owner) on the SW side of Chicago, which I never made it to.

Northviewcats
07-13-2009, 09:56 AM
About eight years ago my wife and I stopped in Cooperstown on the way back from the Big Apple. I got to talking to an ex-yankee, Clete Boyer, that always hung out at Mickey's Place. I bought an autographed baseball from him and my wife took a picture of us in our Yankees hats. We spent the rest of the afternoon looking at memorbilia at the museum and in the shops on main street. When we got back home I looking for autographed items on the Internet. Ebay and trading cards quickly followed and I've been hooked ever since. Now I have a whole room full of stuff and I keep looking for more.

GaryPassamonte
07-13-2009, 10:04 AM
This was pre SCD, but Stan Martucci comes to mind. I still have an old receipt from him dating to the late 60s. My purchase was a 1955 Topps Koufax for $1.25.

David W
07-13-2009, 11:38 AM
I think it was The SPorting News where I got his name, but my mom bought me Topps sets from about 1977 to 1982 from Thomas Ferenc, somewhere in Michigan.

I just found a receipt with his name on it a while back in one of those sets.

Kalineman
07-13-2009, 11:54 AM
Hobby pioneer Frank Nagy lit the fire under me around 1972. I wrote to him asking about how a poor college kid could keep adding to his collection. He not only gave me great advice about trading and networking, he sent me a 4-page handwritten letter and enclosed a dozen 1930s baseball matchbook covers. Priceless!

Rickyy
07-13-2009, 12:40 PM
I dealt with a lot of people who helped me out with my card collecting before the internet days... The following names stand out... some I dealt with many times...some once or twice..but they stand out for their courtesy and assistance in helping out a young collector...

Larry Fristch (first bought from him back in 1972!), Renata Galasso (she used to send personal letters confirming that the order was sent out), Josh Evans (still enjoy going back and looking at his old catalogues) , Politcial Gallery (they used to have some nice stuff!), Marcol and Angie Rol of Southern Cards, Bill Henderson and his common boxes, Stan Martucci (and his complete sets), Woody Gelman, Dick Dobbins (I sure miss seeing him at the San Mateo collectors shows which is also now gone too), Frank Nagy (nice nice man) , Dick Reuss (ditto) , Charlie Conlon ( I think Rob was right..it seems like Charlie DID deal with pretty much everyone in this hobby at least once!), John Stommen, Jerry Johnson ( a really nice man..just like his son) , Kit Young (great catalogues) , Lew Lipset, John Spaulding, Dave Kohler ( I remember he let me root through his stash of bb cards and Hartland statues behind the table at the National in SF) , King's Cards in Berkeley (what a store packed with cards cards and cards) , Jim Elder (his mail auctions from FLA had some great stuff), Greg Businneau.

Oh and though I didn't buy anything from him...but, Barry Halper...got to spend some minutes chatting with him at the SF National...his collection in the Beckett book inspired me to collect some of those same cards and started me on the way to the type collection..when I told him that, his eyes lit up. :)

The Great BB Card, Trading and Flipping Book also was a big influence for me too...I still have my tattered copy that I bought at B Dalton's!

Ricky Yo :)

Tim Fritz
07-13-2009, 04:03 PM
My mom lit my collecting fire. She collected as a kid in the early 50s and started me off as a 4 year old in the mid 70s.

Then in about 1983 or 84 I found a card show that came to my home town near Green Bay, WI. There was about 10 to 12 dealers and they had cards from the 50s and 60s that I had never seen before. I don't remember any pre-war stuff there. Man those were great shows. Everytime I smell cigar smoke it brings me back there.

I also remember ordering cards for Christmas and my birthday from Kit Young and Bill Henderson. I wish I would have saved those catalouges.

chris6net
07-13-2009, 04:43 PM
Definitely Paul Gallagher. Those shows he ran in NYC in the 70,s bring back fond memories. Paul was always willing to talk about the hobby. I also remember the Barnings when they first started BHN. My younger brother and I met them at a show and we used to sell the paper at a table for them at the Golden Gate shows in Brooklyn in the mid to late 70,s probably 78 or 79.

Griffins
07-13-2009, 05:32 PM
In about '73 Merv Williams, a dealer that lived a few blocks from me in Santa Monica, ran an ad looking for collectors to join a newly formed card club that met in Garden Grove. 2 friends and I responded, and for the next 2 years Merv drove us down there with him every month and never accepted a dime in gas money. I don't know what happened to him (he was pretty hard to miss, as he only had 1 leg) but one of the nicest guys I've ever met, in or out of the hobby.

At those shows there were a few that were very generous with their time, knowledge and cards- Tom Tuttlemeyer, Dan Miller, Gavin Riley, and Jim Nowell stand out in my mind. I've yet to run into any of them in the 9 years I've been back in the hobby, does anyone know if any of them are still active?

vintagechris
07-13-2009, 05:41 PM

If either of you happens to read this, thanks from an old guy who stilll hasn't learned enough.[/QUOTE]

Chandy had a card shop in Winston Salem a few years ago. Not sure if he still does. I live a couple hours away. Also use to set up at the show in raleigh regularly but I had not been to a card show in a year or so until I went to this last one and he was not there.

I'm sure he is still active.

robedits
07-13-2009, 05:43 PM
Forgot to add Howards Sports Cards (Lepsic,Ohio). Loved to get their mailers. I constantly bought the groups of cards from them (for instance, 10 ExM to M 1961 Topps) and many singles. They were always super pleasant to deal with and they were very helpful starting me on set builders.

Wonder whatever happened to them?

GasHouseGang
07-13-2009, 05:53 PM
I remember buying the new year's set quite often from Renata Galasso. You could get those great special sets that they always included with the new sets. I also remember getting many commons from Bill Henderson at several of the bigger midwest shows. He always had such a giant selection at good prices. But one place I used to order from all the time was Wholesale Cards Co. in Georgetown, Conn. run by Bruce Yeko. I would always send a list with alternates, include a check and sit back and wait to see what I got. I still have the last catalog I ordered from. I got a 1967 Topps series two for $7.95, a 1960 Fleer set for $19.95, and 1964 Topps Giants for $4.95.:D Those were the days! I also remember later on winning many nice mail auction items from Johnny Adams Jr. Is he still around?

Griffins
07-13-2009, 07:01 PM
Not sure if Johnny Adams Jr. was at the last National in Chicago, but he was definitely in Cleveland in '04 and Chicago in '05, not positive about Anaheim but I think so.

yomass
07-13-2009, 07:13 PM
Finally, someone mentioned Bruce Yeko! In the late 60s, early 70s, he was the man who helped fill all the old sets in my neighborhood.

batsballsbases
07-13-2009, 07:37 PM
Yes Bruce Yeko. I still talk to Bruce from time to time. The last time was about 5-6 years ago. Bruce had a big barn in back of his house filled with cards. A very sad story ,he told me that the barn had caught fire and he lost most everything that he had left of his cards. The stories I could tell you about Bruce:eek::eek: But I will save that for another time!:) I still have alot of his catalogs. I will try and post one. The prices will make you ill.....

judsonhamlin
07-13-2009, 07:42 PM
to robedits:

I asked the same question about Howard's a while back. It seems like in the late 80's and early 90's they had a line on great collections and every mailer had more cards than the next, and were always pleasant to deal with. Probably 10% of my T206 set comes from them. If I recall, they even set up at some Philly shows. Now, their ebay store now is 99% coins and no vintage at all. I'm not sure if their personnel changed or whether other dealers just outmaneuvered them.

sando69
07-13-2009, 07:50 PM
anthony-
i saw both gavin, who was an exhibitor AND johhny, who apparently was not, at the 2006 anaheim national.

I visited Goldfadden's shop once but he wasn't very nice so it was only once.adam-
anthony & i have similar stories... infamous for his "customer service," and for allowing only two in the store at a time, then LOCKING THE DOORS on everyone else, as they lined up outside to be allowed the privelege of entering! :eek:

batsballsbases
07-13-2009, 07:51 PM
Here is one I found! 1952 Topps complete set 407 cards 125.00:eek::eek:
1953 complete set 20.00:(:( 1954 complete set 18.95:D:D I wont put any more prices if you saw them it would make you sick...

tedzan
07-13-2009, 07:58 PM
Starting in the 1970's......here is a list of BB hobby dealers (nationwide) who I have had some great deals with,
and shared some great hobby knowledge with. I returned to collecting sportscards in the mid-'70s....and, I can
thank my daughters, Debbie and Zoe for this. I brought them up to be avid BaseBall fans and Tennis players......

Frank Nagy....Mich
Mark Macrae....Calif
Bill White....Phila
Irv Lerner....Phila
Bob Schmierer....Phila
Bill Heitman....Calif
Kit Young....San Diego
Kevin Savage....Ohio
Charlie Conlon....Mich
Barry Sloate....NY
Dan Paley....Phila
Joe Dugan....Phila
Ron Oser....Phila
Rob Lifson....Phila
Levi Bleam....Phila
B. A. Murry....St Lo
Don Steinbach....Chi
Pat Quinn....Chi
Carl Berg....Kans
Rich Hawksley....St Lo
Jim Hawkins....Mich
Lew Lipset....NY
Bill Henderson....Wisc
Bob Lemke....Wisc
Steve Ellingboe....Wisc
Ron Gordon....Ariz
Bob Steinberg....NJ
John Broggi....NJ
Alan Rosen....NJ
Phil Specter....NJ
Steve Clark....Ohio
Roger Neufeldt....Okla
Max Silberman....Phila
Rich Klein....NY, Tx
Jim Beckett....Tx
Dan McKee....MD
Bob O'Leary....NJ
Bob Thing....ME
Don Flewelling....Cooperstown

Many are familiar names to most of you. They come to mind first, as I have enjoyed long time friendships
with them since 1977 (and the early '80s). When this hobby really got started....what a glorious time.

TED Z

camlov2
07-13-2009, 10:16 PM
For me it was my dad. I remember going out to the baseball card room growing up and being able to go through the drawers and binders of cards that he had collected. When I had to give a speech in Jr. High I decided to do it on the history of cards, it was pretty easy since he had already shared with me enough knowledge to speak for the time allowed. It seems that every time we get together we end up talking about a set or card that I have seen online.

smokeyjoewood
07-14-2009, 01:04 AM
Mr. Schaeffer on Plymouth Rd., a crusty old bugger who sold me all 4 Cobbs for a hundred bucks. I had to mow a lot of lawns to save that kind of dough as a ten year old. Unfortunately he passed away not long after that and his little store closed down.

I worked at a couple of card stores during high school and college, this helped me acquire a lot of vintage material. People would bring in collections all the time and I would get to go through them and cherry pick. Mostly 50's and 60's stuff, but still fun. At one store, "The Old Ball Park"(anyone remember this place?), Chuck Scrivener(former Tiger) was in charge and I used to bust him all the time about his 78 Topps cards. I must have had about 40 of those babies, one in every pack it seemed like.

Mrc32
07-14-2009, 08:22 AM
Ditto on those who said their Dad.

If Dad didn't have that old Stewarts Department Store box full of cards from his collecting days in the mid 50s, I don't know if I would have ever gotten started.

I miss ya Dad!

toppcat
07-14-2009, 02:55 PM
Marty Perry and Bob Sevchuk at the old Baseball Card Collector's Exchange in Hicksville, Long Island, New York. Picked up the first issue of Baseball Cards magazine off the newsstand and headed straight there. Haven't looked back since.

yazfan08
07-14-2009, 04:23 PM
As expected, I didn't see Max Tracy's name in any of the responses. First, I'm not sure if "my Max" is the same as the one who had a card shop in Simi Valley.

In 1979, I answered a wanted ad in the Orange County, CA Pennysaver. Max came to the house and cherry picked my Bob Horner's, but also introduced me to his binders. I was mesmerized by the '61 Koufax and '66 McCovey as I'd never seen cards issued before 1973. Our friendship grew and I started manning his tables at conventions, including a Bob Lee show in SF and one coordinated by Randy Thyberg in Vegas. From there, Max introduced me to other dealers such as Josh Evans and I helped out with their tables. More significantly, I was that kid who would sit next to the sports celebrity and collect your items to be signed.

Max was a Fountain Valley High (I think) classmate of David Kohler, I believe they played on the same basketball team. The monthly Fountain Valley, Ca. show was a must do, as was visiting a card store nearby run by Mark Christiansen (very tall guy.)

Very fond memories, I hope we can reconnect someday.

Dan Carson
07-14-2009, 04:59 PM
Mark Macrae, Ray Sarsceni, and Don Hazelwood

I first met Mark in 1990 at a card show in the Santa Rosa California area and have been hooked on Zeenuts ever since. I was looking for a Lefty O'Doul and ended up with a 1921 O'Doul and 1922 Lazzeri as my first Zeenuts.:D

Fuddjcal
07-14-2009, 04:59 PM
For me, it started with mailing $8 (Canadian!) to a guy in Detroit for a four-issue subscription to The Sports Hobbyist, circa 1974. I remember the price, because he sent a note with the first issue, commenting on how "cool" the Canuck $2 bills looked. It was a pretty amateurish publication, but fascinating nonetheless.

As I recall, the only professional-looking ad was for The Card Collectors Company in NYC. When I received their first catalog, I spent the whopping sum of $40 to acquire complete Topps hockey sets from 1962-65. I subsequently acquired a couple of dozen T206s (which I later swapped for more hockey cards) and began corresponding with some of the classified advertisers. Subscriptions to The Trader Speaks and SCD quickly followed, and I've been hooked ever since...

In 1974, I was 13 years old and had been collecting with every penny I could find, including searching for pop bottles. I too saw the Sports Hobbyist and couldn't believe what was available. 1952 Mantle was $75.00. I worked all summer to get the funds and my dad told me I was crazy when I gave him the money for him to write me a check.

Mickey never came. I received a 1955 Sandy Koufax, a 1956 Campanella and 1955 Jackie Robinson. I think they snuck in a few others like Spahn and so forth and.....a friggen $25.00 credit. Memo. Probably didn't order too much through the mail again. Makes for a great Story though. I believe they were selling a Wagner for $1,500 at the time. Glad I didn't end up with a $1000.00 credit memo.