PDA

View Full Version : Medwick Uniform help

tothrk
07-08-2009, 11:41 PM
I'm trying to find out what Joe Medwick uniforms (Cardinals uni from late 30's) roughly sell for. I couldn't find info anywhere but I most likely am not looking in the correct place. Does anybody know when the last uniform sold at auction and how much? Thanks much.

perezfan
07-09-2009, 06:50 PM
Although it's a very rare find, I think I saw one in Mastro or somewhere similar about 5 - 6 years ago. I don't have time to research it. A nice Medwick example that shows use but not abuse (and is all-original, with no repairs/restoration) would likely run about $15 - $17K.

That figure would also be in line with other "mid-level" Hall-of-Famer Flannels of the 1930s. When I say "mid-level" for Medwick, I assume Ruth/Gehrig/Foxx/Etc to be top-level, and someone like Sewell, Ferrell or Lindstrom to be lower-level for the 1930s.

The Cardinals uniforms of that era were stunning and beautiful works of art, and probably command a small premium over some of the less aesthetically pleasing uniforms. The most comparable example I can think of recently was a Chick Hafey, that sold for close to the price I quoted above. Medwick is probably a bit more desirable than Hafey.

There was also a Dizzy Dean Uniform a few months back that sold for close to $40K if I remember correctly. Both Lelands and Hunt's archives are pretty easy to check, for such info (but prior examples are few and far between). You could also check the Barry Halper prices realized, as I bet he had a couple of Cardinal Flannels from that era as well. Halper's prices are 25-30% above market value. Regardless, Hall-of-Famer flannels from the 30s do not run cheap!

vintagechris
07-10-2009, 11:55 AM
I am pretty sure there was a Medwick uniform that sold within the last year. I believe it was either REA or Huggins & Scott. When I get a little more time I will check my catalogs and post what I find.

Chris

canjond
07-10-2009, 01:14 PM
You may also want to ask over at the game used forum (www.gameuseduniverse.com). This question is probably right up their alley.