PDA

View Full Version : Vintage cards at Yankee Stadium

paulcarek
07-05-2009, 06:23 PM
Just got back from a week's vacation in New York City with my family. While there, my son and I caught a game at the new Yankee Stadium. We were pleasantly surprised to find a sort of mini vintage card shop just down the concourse from our section. Pretty nice selection of Yankees from the 50s onwards. I'd never seen that quantity of vintage cards for sale at a ballpark, and thought I'd mention it in case anyone else is interested. Located on the Main level, up behind home plate. Just look for the big blowups of the '34 Goudey Gehrig and '33 Ruth. I think the seller is listed on ebay under Vintage Sportscard Collectors Club (or something like that).

JamesGallo
07-06-2009, 08:53 AM
I noticed this guy when I was up a few months back. Hoe the heck did that guy manage to get in the door.... Prices seemed a bit inflated

James G

paulcarek
07-06-2009, 04:44 PM
Agree about the prices. Just thought it was cool to see cards for sale next to the cheese steaks. :)

chris6net
07-06-2009, 08:05 PM
Paul, this might be a trend at the new ballparks. At Citifield in Queens they have a memorabilia store also right in the Stadium. I only walked in once but they have mostly game used items but they also sell cards. I wonder if the same dealer has the cocession rights for both stores. CN

JamesGallo
07-06-2009, 08:14 PM
Well this was pretty base and boring crap. Let me put an 1987 Mattingly in a screw down and charge $5 for it. This guy has a monopoly on the market and is raping the customers. then again everything else is way over priced so why wouldn't cards.

At Citizen's Bank park here in PA they have a stand that sells game used stuff but they don't sell other cards like the place in the Stadium was.

I really found it a bit odd that an outside vendor could get a gig like that.

James G

David Atkatz
07-07-2009, 06:58 AM
...Steinbrenner gets a taste.