PDA

View Full Version : Are there any other Omaha cards?

slidekellyslide
07-04-2009, 11:47 AM
I just learned today that the T213 Coupon set contains a card of Omaha player Harry Krause from 1916. (Thanks to Jeremy J)...are there any other Omaha players in that set?

Are there any other sets other than the Old Judge and Colgan's that contain Omaha or Lincoln players?

Thanks!

FrankWakefield
07-04-2009, 01:42 PM
Hey Dan,

There are some from the 1940's and early 50's, minor league photos. Is that what you're talking about?

slidekellyslide
07-04-2009, 02:25 PM
I know of the 1950's Omaha issues, but am unaware of any 1940s cards other than the team photo postcards. I was speaking more about prewar issues. I wish the priceguides would put the teams next to the names...they only do this if there is a team change in the set.

It wasn't until about two years ago that I learned there was a Lincoln card in the Colgan's sets and was stunned earlier today to learn there was an Omaha card in the T213 set.

DixieBaseball
07-04-2009, 09:14 PM
Glad you were able to snag that scarce card... It rarely comes up, b/c most reside in sets, partial sets, etc. Also, I doubt there are that many floating around in the first place...

As far as a decent resource for teams next to player names, I can only think of Lew Lipsets Encylopedia of Baseball Cards Vol. 1, 2, 3 (Combined) I routinely go into this guide to sort through player-team names...

Krause is the only Nebraska player in the Type 2 Coupon set. He has 2 T215 cards, but they are with Cleveland and Philadelphia... I am betting it is the same image, b/c I believe the Red Cross backs and Coupons have a lot of the same images...

JJ

Bob Lemke
07-05-2009, 11:31 AM
Dan, and all . . .

When originally configured, the data base from which the Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards and all related Krause products is drawn had a field for team name, and some sets probably have that data input. Obviously it was felt that someday there might be a market for a price guide to all Yankees cards, or St. Louis Browns, etc.

However, back in the pre-internet days, that data was simply too hard to come by. While it could more readily be done today, I doubt the market would support the effort and what resources are available to devote to the data base are more productively used elsewhere, such as keeping values updated.