PDA

View Full Version : 1968 Topps Sticker

JustinD
07-04-2009, 07:42 AM
I have never heard or seen of anything like this listing. My immediate feeling was that it is a fake. Does anyone have any information to the contrary?

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-1968-ROBERTO-CLEMENTE-STICKER-POSSIBLE-TEST-ISSUE_W0QQitemZ390063957195QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_S M_Sports_Cards?hash=item5ad19fa4cb&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A1|66%3A2|39%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Thanks,
Justin

toppcat
07-04-2009, 10:36 AM
Never saw this one. There is a 67 Clemente poster sticker as well of indeterminate origin but similar high quality. Back does not look period though, I would think brown in '68 on the reverse.

Anybody have a clue on this (or that)?

JustinD
07-04-2009, 10:57 AM
Thank you for the reply.

It is high quality, but the way the label peeled leaving a remnant at the top and bottom seemed very untopps-like. Looking at the new scan of the back I assume someone asked the seller for, it seems even more modern day.

It seems like this should have a cream or brownish back if it was period like you mentioned. Also if it was period with a white-back it seems like there should be some aging or adhesive bleed through of some kind visible.

However, I am still just doing guesswork here.

bobsbbcards
07-04-2009, 01:42 PM
I agree with you that it is highly doubtful that this sticker is from that era. Here is the back of a 1970 Topps Cloth Sticker for comparison.

http://www.bobsbbcards.com/images/baseball/1970/1970toppscloth/70ToppsClothBack.jpg

sflayank
07-04-2009, 08:22 PM
i have serious doubts about this as being a real product
backing should be brown and the front is just too perfect
as for the 67 pinup sticker of clemente I am a witness to it
It appeared at a show in pittsburgh must be 8 or 9 years ago now
I have no doubt it was real...the only problem with it was it was autographed by clemente and the owner really didnt want to sell it...he had almost every clemente test issue there is on his table and had insane prices at the time, because it was his personal collection

Bob Lemke
07-05-2009, 10:53 AM
The photos are gone from the OP, but this could be from the circa 1990 set of Topps Clemente cards reproduced for Giant Eagle food stores in Western Pa. They were issued in strips of three, and there was a collectors' poster to mount and display them.

They are listed on Page 915 of the 2009 SCBC.

JustinD
07-05-2009, 07:39 PM
Thanks Bob,

You took the words right out my mouth on that reply. I so happened to be looking up something else in my 2008 Standard catalog (otherwise known as my bathroom reader.:D) and I ran across those Giant Eagle stickers too. After I quick Aha! moment I resolved to post it as an FYI. Looks like I was a little too late.

I have to say I love this group for the knowledge base you all have. I am going to resolve to stop being a silent reader and try to chime in a little here and there. I found my way here through Toppcat's Archives blog and have been sneaking around for a while. I have always loved test and oddball issues and have found this site to be very informative. Thank you all.

I have a couple mysteries in my collection I may have to post soon to pick your brains again soon.