PDA

View Full Version : Gehrig Letters

MacDice
07-02-2009, 09:08 PM
Not sure how many people saw it on ESPN but they have a great piece on Gehrig. It goes into great detail of the letters that he, his wife and his doctor sent back and forth about his condition. Great read and nice video.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/flash/gehrigletters

Sorry did not see that someone also posted this on the Memorbilia Form

Pup6913
07-02-2009, 09:23 PM
Beautiful piece. Made me want to cry for him. Thank you Lou for you contibutes to the game.

ChiefBenderForever
07-02-2009, 10:14 PM
Lou gave Paul one of his World Series Gold Pocket watches as a thank you. I'm pretty sure his daughter still has it. Some of his most peaceful days he ever had were wandering around Rochester where he was just a patient. An American tradgedy.

sbfinley
07-03-2009, 02:07 AM
By nature I hate the Yankees, but two names carry more weight within my Baseball bones more than any. Gehrig. DiMaggio. Especially Gehrig.

David Atkatz
07-03-2009, 08:43 AM
By nature I hate the Yankees, but two names carry more weight within my Baseball bones more than any. Gehrig. DiMaggio. Especially Gehrig.

How can you even say them together? DiMaggio was a selfish, narcissistic p%$ck. Can you name one thing he ever did for another person, or even a team mate? He alienated his only son, both his wives, his sister and his brothers. A poor excuse for a human being.

geor952
07-03-2009, 03:35 PM
Mike,
Thanks for sharing. I had missed the show on ESPN and was thrilled to read the letters and watch the video you attached. A couple of months ago I finished an Audio Book, on Gehrig, and he was quite an American.
Thanks again-
George

sbfinley
07-04-2009, 01:50 AM
DiMaggio might have been a prick, he might have been a saint. I'm 24 and never met the man so I won't pass judgment. From what I've read Cobb was a racist, Ruth was a drunk, and John McGraw was a cheat, but it doesn't devalue their intrinsic value to many collectors and fans. All I know what I've seen, and from what I've seen they both were mesmerizingly good. Good enough to transcend the line between who I root for and who I collect.

Also I'd hate to send this thread spiraling out of control, so no I am not labeling Cobb a racist, Ruth a drunk, or McGraw a cheat. I could see such a thread getting too ugly.

David Atkatz
07-04-2009, 06:39 AM
Cobb was a racist, McGraw was a cheat. But Ruth was not a drunk. You have read about his drinking--and he drank quite a bit. You have never read of his being--or acting--drunk.

There's much more to life than hitting a baseball, and being adored for it. Gehrig knew that. Ruth did, too.

DiMaggio did not.

MVSNYC
07-05-2009, 05:01 PM
i saw the segment on ESPN...very well done piece. the letters' contents were incredible, it was sad that he really thought he was going to get better...his wife & doctor continued the optimism (hiding the exact truth from him of the extent of his illness), which i guess made his last months somewhat more managable.

amazing man, amazing speech.