PDA

View Full Version : last known photos of ball players

milkit1
06-22-2009, 10:32 AM
I posted this in the spookiest card thread but thought this would be interesting as a new thread. Was wondering if there are any other photos like this Rube Waddell one that are unquestionably the last photo of the player.1965

Exhibitman
06-22-2009, 01:12 PM
Would be after his breakdown/TB diagnosis, shortly before he died. He is shown with his wife and visitor Jack Dempsey.

BillyCoxDodgers3B
06-22-2009, 02:04 PM
Not only the last photo of Jennings, but likely the only image that doesn't depict him doing his patented dance!

calvindog
06-22-2009, 02:18 PM
Would be after his breakdown/TB diagnosis, shortly before he died. He is shown with his wife and visitor Jack Dempsey.

Adam, can you post a scan of that one? I'd love to see it, thanks.

orator1
06-22-2009, 04:50 PM
Last photo of James H. O'Rourke on September 29th, 1918. It was taken at Newfield Park in Bridgeport CT, the site of his family farm when he was a boy. He converted it to a ballpark when he formed a minor league baseball team in the mid 1890s.
In his later years O'Rourke used to play at least one game every season with the Bridgeport Order of Elks (B.P.O.E.).
It is fitting that in his last known photo he is wearing a baseball uniform at 68 YEARS OLD. He died about 3 months later on January 8th, 1919.

For the VERY last photo of James O'Rourke, see below.
These images were found in an O'Rourke family album.

abroome
06-22-2009, 06:06 PM
Did he have a son that was a minors mgr?
I remember I have a players album and one of the signed photos is of an O'Rourke, Jr. Mgr of '38 Centreville Colts (Phillies top club.) They are all pictured in Phillies hand-me-down uni's.
I can't remember if it is a Jim or Joe O'Rourke....
I'll have to dig it out.

Andy

Kawika
06-22-2009, 06:54 PM
Young Joe Wood, handsome boy wonder, ca. 1908. Old Joe Wood, can't live forever, ca. 1984. Both images off the Web. This thread depresses me.
http://photos.imageevent.com/kawika_o_ka_pakipika/bbbofsfirstclass/miscellanybaseball/websize/Horner_Wood.jpg http://photos.imageevent.com/kawika_o_ka_pakipika/bbbofsfirstclass/miscellanybaseball/websize/Joe%20Wood%20aged%2094.jpg

orator1
06-22-2009, 07:57 PM
Did he have a son that was a minors mgr?
I remember I have a players album and one of the signed photos is of an O'Rourke, Jr. Mgr of '38 Centreville Colts (Phillies top club.) They are all pictured in Phillies hand-me-down uni's.
I can't remember if it is a Jim or Joe O'Rourke....
I'll have to dig it out.

Andy

James Henry O'Rourke did have a son James Stephen O'Rourke (different middle names so technically not a "Jr", although he was referred to as Junior or Queenie).
If you find and post the photo I should recognize whether it's James Stephen O'Rourke. I don't know a lot about his later years or whether he became a manager. I do know he lived in Sparrows Point, MD and worked for Bethlehem Steel. The company apparently financed a competitive team and guaranteed jobs for the players in the off season.

milkit1
06-22-2009, 08:18 PM
Awesome O'Rourke picture! Keep em coming!

canjond
06-22-2009, 08:31 PM
I don't have a scan to share in this thread since the photo is not with me but I actually have a story that fits perfectly. When I was younger, I worked for a show promoter/agent who had many players appear at private signings and such. One signing I worked was that of Johnny VanderMeer's. We finished up around 6pm and I was off with Johnny to the airport for his flight out. Before leaving, I took a poloriod photo with Johnny and had him sign it. The next day, I heard the news... Johnny passed away. I often wonder if I took the last photo with him.

thekingofclout
06-22-2009, 08:49 PM
But it's certainly Gehrig's last known photograph.

JohnH19
06-25-2009, 11:30 AM
Surprisingly, I don't believe I've ever seen that picture of Gehrig's funeral.