PDA

View Full Version : 4 ft Babe Ruth Fro Joy Stand-up Sign $49,999.99

CarltonHendricks
06-21-2009, 08:56 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/1928-Fro-Joy-Babe-Ruth-4-Foot-Stand-Up-Store-Display_W0QQitemZ250353426707QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVi ntage_Sports_Memorabilia?hash=item3a4a3a2113&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116
Check out this Fro Joy sign I just spotted. When I see that dark acid burn fringe look on the back of these signs I usually hit the back button immediately. However I never saw one for $49,999.99 before. So I read the sellers description...or at least tried..But I did catch a very interesting part about how it had some damage when it they got it. In paragraph 4 the seller gives the details of the damage and restoration. The seller says as much that they had it restored by a talented west coast restorer. I wish the seller had posted photos of the sign before it was restored, and provided the name of the restorer. For $50,000.00 I would want to know the signs entire provenance. Maybe it says where the seller got it but I can hardly stand to read the lengthy description. On a different subject, I really like this incredible eBay negative look-up tool Leon posted on the links page: http://www.toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs

CarltonHendricks
06-22-2009, 12:02 PM
That's interesting....yesterday when I posted it was up for sale for a buy it now price, today I happened to look and it's ended....says the seller ended it early because it's no longer for sale...But I don't see where it says it was bought with a buy it now...huh, I wonder why it's no longer for sale?

ibuysportsephemera
06-22-2009, 12:23 PM
They probably made an off eBay deal. Just my 2¢.

Jeff

Leon
06-22-2009, 12:31 PM
The seller is that guy from Arkansas, I believe. "John Rogers" maybe?

edited as I just had a nice conversation with John and many things were explained as well as his registration is complete....It seems our first, and failed, try at the new board was when he sent the info and all of that got wiped out........best regards

slidekellyslide
06-22-2009, 01:02 PM
He cut up the Matty McIntyre photo album which had 100s of baseball photos glued in in back to back pages which caused many of the photos to be destroyed. He could have soaked them out without any issues at all. I think he said that someone that works for him did that and he was unaware they had done it until it was too late.

He is a bit abrasive, but I've had no problems in my dealings with him on ebay.

sporteq
06-25-2009, 03:51 PM
Yes, it is JOHN ROGERS.

The seller is that guy from Arkansas, I believe. "John Rogers" maybe?

edited as I just had a nice conversation with John and many things were explained as well as his registration is complete....It seems our first, and failed, try at the new board was when he sent the info and all of that got wiped out........best regards