PDA

View Full Version : 1933 Tattoo Orbit vs. 1933 Delong: Which Do You Like More?

Orioles1954
06-20-2009, 08:09 PM
OK depression-era fans! 1933 Tattoo Orbit set vs. 1933 Delong set, which do you like more and why? I am very curious to read opinions!

James

Leon
06-20-2009, 09:37 PM
I like Delong, with the information on the back of them and the art deco pictures they get my vote. I am not sure which are more scarce? I tend to think they are about the same or maybe the Tattoos are a bit moreso. Then we have the R308 Tattoos, which are definitely more scarce than either but don't look as good, and I digress. Two neat sets being compared.

http://luckeycards.com/prr333delongslindstromandbizcard.jpg

terjung
06-20-2009, 10:11 PM
Delong without question. Disregarding the backs for a moment, the front is much more appealing, especially in color. There is something about the image of the player on the ever-so-small, cartoon playing field that sets the player apart as being larger than life. But more than that, I prefer my cards to have more than just red, yellow, and black (plus a splash for skin color). The additional information on the back completes the package. In my book, Delong is far more appealing. Having said that, I still don't have my first one yet.

BillyCoxDodgers3B
06-20-2009, 10:37 PM
I like both sets, but have never been much for the sizing of the TO's.

I recall reading an article about Joe Garagiola that came out many years ago. He named the Delongs as his favorite set.

Brian Van Horn
06-21-2009, 04:36 AM
DeLong. Something about the stadium background.

E93
06-21-2009, 05:42 AM
Delong, by a long shot. ;)
JimB

HRBAKER
06-21-2009, 07:53 AM
Although I am a fan of both and over 50% complete on both sets, I favor the Delongs over the TOs.

Orioles1954
06-21-2009, 09:43 AM
The reason I'm asking is because I'm considering selling my 1933 Tattoo Orbit set and using the funds to get a 1933 DeLong set....plus I'll probably have some extra funds to boot.

brianp-beme
06-21-2009, 07:36 PM
I guess I am outnumbered, but I prefer the Tattoo Orbits over the DeLong. I really like contrast between the red and yellows they used in the cards, and they definitely have the 1930's feel for me. I even like their little square size. If only they handled the skin tones a little better...

Brian

philliesphan
06-21-2009, 08:25 PM
Delong, of course. The magic of this set [to me] is that it personifies the "larger than life" persona we put upon our baseball heroes. A small set, littered with stars, it is quintessential in capturing this emotion from this baseball fan.

mikedenero
06-22-2009, 08:18 AM
The reason I'm asking is because I'm considering selling my 1933 Tattoo Orbit set and using the funds to get a 1933 DeLong set....plus I'll probably have some extra funds to boot.

Hey Orioles1954! Great question, methinks.

I place my vote for the fronts of the Tattoo Orbits but the backs of the Delongs -- thus, for me at least, it's a wash! I really love the fronts of the Orbits, as they look as if they could have only been produced during that time period (much like the Diamond Stars could have only been produced at that time as well). The backs of the Delongs are great. Great question.

As for selling your Tattoo Orbit set, let me know how much you are contemplating that possibility, as I would be interested in buying it.

brian1961
06-23-2009, 03:37 PM
Dear James,

For me, it's an easy choice---the Delong set. Early in the hobby, I purchased both sets in reprint form from TCMA. They did a terrific job on both and capture 90% of the eye candy.

Perhaps it was due to reading (and re-reading AND re-reading) the wonderful, nostalgic article that Lionel Carter had done on the Delongs in that 1971 The Sport Hobbyist, and which I emailed you a copy, if you recall. They were his first set. Within a year, The Sporting News carried a tiny ad for the reprint set of those very 1933 Delongs. I mailed the 3 bucks, and when I got them, I loved 'em! The design was simple, yet very unique. The full-length pose photo of the player towering over the packed stands of fans was brilliant. A nice variety of colors were used, even though the colorizing of the black and white player photos was only partly done. The player choice was very, very good, even if the Babe was sadly missing.

The use of the two well-chosen horizontal shots made for a nice contrast. If you recall, Lionel Carter's favorite card in the set was that of Pepper Martin, seen sliding into a base, his heroics in the 1931 World Series, when he stole a lot of bases off of Mickey Cochrane, obviously were o:)n the mind of the one who chose the photos.

While the Tattoo-Orbits are decent cards, with a nice player selection (but no Ruth as well), they look a little bland compared to the Delong. For whatever it's worth, having owned both sets in reprint form, I probably looked at the Delongs close to ten times as much as the Tattoo-Orbits. To each his own, of course, but think it through carefully, James.
---Brian Powell

tbob
06-23-2009, 04:18 PM
I have both sets but like the TOs better. Something about the coloring and size and art work makes them 30ish. I like the DeLongs also, just not as much.
One vote for TOs!:D

tbob
06-23-2009, 04:24 PM
Retro

Matt
06-23-2009, 04:26 PM
My kids vote for the DeLongs, or as they call them, the "Giants."

FrankWakefield
06-23-2009, 09:07 PM
My recollection is that I got a couple of Tattoo Orbit cards before I ever got a Delong's card, first one of those was Greenberg.

Still, I think I like the Delongs cards more. I have a few of each, if I were to divest myself of all of one or the other, I think I'd sell some TOs and keep my few Delongs. I have a Delong's stock certificate, but I acquired that after I developed a preference for the cards.

HRBAKER
06-23-2009, 09:50 PM
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s172/hrbaker/BST/retro001.jpg

terjung
06-23-2009, 10:43 PM
Sweet looking cards, Jeff.

Though I already stated my preference for the Delongs, do the T.O.s allow for better study of the ears?

(sorry, I couldn't help it)

joeadcock
06-24-2009, 04:01 AM
Both good looking sets. Looks like more detail went into Delongs.
I would rather have set of Delongs than Tatoo's, if I had a choice.

Frank L.

David Halpen
06-24-2009, 09:12 AM
I also prefer the Delongs. The player selection and uniqueness of the design are great. They look really nice as a complete set. Here is my set (which is the Lionel Carter set referred above):

http://photos.imageevent.com/halpen/top40/websize/delong1.jpghttp://photos.imageevent.com/halpen/top40/websize/delong2.jpg

Orioles1954
06-24-2009, 09:17 AM
Dangit David! I was hoping someone would break that up! Oh well, the James Feagin collection is what's really important to me :)

James