PDA

View Full Version : Old Judge Frederick Jevne

cozmokramer
06-19-2009, 09:51 AM
After seeing the raw Jevne sell on ebay for $650+ last night... It got me thinking.. how rare is this card?

Only 4 graded by SGC and just 2 graded by PSA.

Any thoughts?

barrysloate
06-19-2009, 10:37 AM
Great condition, and a horizontal pose you almost never see. Nice card.

packs
06-19-2009, 11:10 AM
Was it a new pose? I didn't see that pose on the VCP checklist.

oldjudge
06-19-2009, 11:13 AM
The numbers of Old Judge graded are meaningless. The vast, vast majority of Old Judges have never been graded. Jevne is not a particularily scarce player and the pose is one of his most common. Although the card seems to be in pretty nice shape the price seems to be full value plus some.

barrysloate
06-19-2009, 11:19 AM
Jay- it's Jevne, not Rehse.

oldjudge
06-19-2009, 11:23 AM
Thanks Barry--I don't know why I was thinking Jevne and typed Rehse.

barrysloate
06-19-2009, 11:51 AM
Both are consonant-e-consonant-consonant-e.:)

oldjudge
06-19-2009, 12:09 PM
Yah, that's it

cozmokramer
06-19-2009, 12:14 PM
Thanks Barry and Jay for your input.

While its not scarce, I just have not seen any Jevne's up for sale.

I guess it was the condition that drove the price. Looks like a 60/5 or so from SGC/PSA

packs
06-19-2009, 01:16 PM
Is it normal for OJ's to have such a wavy cut? I think the back might have a little album residue on it as well.

oldjudge
06-19-2009, 03:24 PM
Nice front, but album residue will kill the grade. If you had asked me before the auction I would have guessed that it would have gone for under $300

packs
06-19-2009, 05:02 PM
Before the auction ended i messaged the seller about the card and he told me he had gotten it and 130 others, I don't if they're all OJ's or just other cards, from the original owner's family scrapbook. So I'm assuming there will be some residue and in the scan I can make out an area on the back that looks to be slightly lighter than the outer areas. Probably where it had been glued.

Tim Zwick
06-19-2009, 08:34 PM
I am the seller of this card and it indeed came out of the actual 1880's scrapbook from the original owners family. I do not have many left from this collection which was purchased in the early 90's in northeast Pennsylvania. There were approximately 120 OJ's (probably half were skinned) and about a dozen N28's & N29's. Easily my best collecting find.

The Jevne card does have very light glue residue on the reverse from the scrapbook as was described in the auction listing.

I have sold this and many others to fellow Net54 members over the past couple of years and I hope they all enjoy them in their collections as much as I have.

packs
06-19-2009, 08:43 PM
Definitely a great looking card with a real nice image. Were the other OJ's you acquired midwestern players as well?

oldjudge
06-19-2009, 09:12 PM
Tim--It's really neat when you can find something like that. Thanks for sharing the story. Are you going to list the rest of the Old Judges on Ebay?

Tim Zwick
06-19-2009, 09:14 PM
Some were but there was a wide variety. Lots of HOFers plus some Detroit, Minneapolis, Cincinnati, Chicago along with New York, Washington & Philly that I can think of. A complete set of N28's also except for Anson.

Jay........Pretty sure I am done selling. I have sold many that I thought I would never sell but that's how it goes. Joe always gives me some heat when I list a Detroit player.

packs
06-19-2009, 09:23 PM
Wow. Great find.

jcmtiger
06-19-2009, 09:42 PM
Tim, I know you are talking about Joe G. , but Joe M. that's me, always looking for Detroit Old Judge Players.

Also, Jay, yes that card was over bid, but I can't seem to find any cards in my price range. I guess i am cheap.

Joe m.

Tim Zwick
06-19-2009, 09:58 PM
Joe M.... I think all 3 of us are looking for them....I do not plan on selling any more of my Detroit's.

cozmokramer
06-20-2009, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the details Tim...

I started this thread about Jevne... and I'm also the one to win the Jevne from you.

Looking forward to getting it. I have one already, but this image was much better than the one I have so... i had to have it.

oldjudge
06-20-2009, 01:22 PM
Eric--Why the mystery in your initial post? Why didn't you say you won it and was wondering what it was worth?

cozmokramer
06-21-2009, 05:51 AM
Sorry, I didn't mean it as a mystery at all... when i re-read the thread i realized that i didn't mention it in my initial post and thus why i added it.

i know the pop reports are not the most accurate for scarceness, but the Jevne seemed to have less graded examples than most others, so thats really what I was inquiring about.

6 total with SGC and PSA seemed really low, and i already have another Jevne, and in the past year after purchasing a total of 400+ OJs, this is the first one I've seen come up for sale other than my other one.

I think this one will be trade bait for others i need anyway, I've gotten a bunch of emails because of this thread.