PDA

View Full Version : 500 Home Run Hitters

dhthreesixty
06-17-2009, 07:28 PM
I have a plaque that has living "then" 500 Home Run hitters with autographs signed vertically
includes Williams, Robinson, Matthews, Mays, Hank A, Mantle etc. What is the value I think this one of 500 to 1,000 in a limited edition

perezfan
06-17-2009, 08:51 PM
Is this the Ron Lewis Piece? Sounds like it. You called it a plaque... so what is the size of yours (dimensions in inches?) This piece is usually found in the form of a very large poster or lithograph.... over 3' wide.

If authentic (and neatly signed in uniform ink) this piece can command over $1,500. More commonly, it goes for about $900 - $1,100 with one or two players sloppily signing (and subsequently devaluing the piece a bit). It's pretty rare to find it signed by all 11 in uniform strength, and vertically along the leg.

If yours is a smaller plaque version of some sort, it isn't worth as much money. The value also depends largely on whether it's authenticated (and who's LOA accompanies). Post a photo if you can...

Hope this helps!

bat_master
06-17-2009, 09:35 PM
The Ron Lewis piece is one autographed item I would be very pleased to have hanging on my wall. In my opinion, it is a piece that would easily be the centerpiece of an autograph collection.

Even though I try to strictly be a game used bat guy, the collection of players depicted on that one piece is by far one of the most impressive ever. It's one of my all-time favorite pieces and someday I may have to break down and buy one.

BillyCoxDodgers3B
06-17-2009, 10:08 PM
There are also a ton of forgeries of that piece out there, too. If yours is smaller than poster/litho size, you have an increased risk of it being a fake. If it IS one of the original numbered lithos (signed and numbered in pencil by Ron Lewis), chances are you have nothing to worry about. I would suggest you have your item authenticated by PSA or JSA.

Assuming that this is indeed the Ron Lewis artwork:

The fact that your item is in "plaque" form is very troublesome. I have nearly always encountered problems when this is the case. Most times, it's a case of a color photocopy of an original or a terrible, outright forgery from the Operation Bullpen era. Yours doesn't have to be, but stands a 95% chance of being problematic.

dhthreesixty
06-18-2009, 11:05 AM
Thanks for your replies I am new at this and appreciate your help and guidance. The item is mounted on a small marble base and the actual piece is about 12" x 12". It is not a photo or litho but rather appears to be a etched metal plate covered by a plexi-glass protector and looks like an artist rendering of the players. Each player has signed vertically along the right leg. In addtion to the players I mentioned it includes Mike S. and Reggie Jackson. It has an LOA and was purchased about 10 year ago.