PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Scam: Honus Wagner Rp!!!

V117collector
06-16-2009, 07:53 AM
I sold this Tip Top Wagner Reprint for $36 one month ago to the714gallery off of Ebay:eek:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250409690817

The same seller has just listed the Wagner RP w/ a BIN $4500 or bestoffer, please be advized:rolleyes:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&frommaketrack=true&item=350214159357&viewitem=&sspagename=VIP%3AWatchlink%3Amiddle%3Aus&salenotsupported

calvindog
06-16-2009, 07:56 AM
Why don't you let ebay know?

scooter729
06-16-2009, 07:57 AM
WOW. Bought with the same ID as well. That's about as blatant as it gets.

Hope Leon or someone with some clout at eBay can get this yanked, and have these people dealt with appropriately!

David Atkatz
06-16-2009, 08:07 AM
I just offered him $37.88. I told him I thought a $1.00 profit was reasonable.

Leon
06-16-2009, 08:10 AM
I will see what I can do...

Matt
06-16-2009, 08:11 AM
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=92427

GrayGhost
06-16-2009, 09:03 AM
I am fascinated by this forum. Im a low budget guy, who loves vintage baseball, and there are some really smart cookies on here. Man, you guys have this crook outed good. Keep up the eagle eye..hehe.

Leon
06-16-2009, 09:11 AM
Of course the auction has been ended. I don't know if it was my report or not but I did mention the auction # where the seller bought the card. Bad seller imho......even though they seem to have great feedback. (which kind of sucks)

timzcardz
06-16-2009, 09:19 AM
Well the listing itself still exists, and says "The seller ended this listing early because the item is no longer available for sale," so ebay didn't pull it.

That probably means that it was sold to some unsuspecting individual, possibly one of the offerers, outside of ebay.

Leon
06-16-2009, 09:35 AM
The seller might have gotten email comments and knew the jig was up so they ended it. That, or they might have caught a fly in their trap....:mad:

calvindog
06-16-2009, 01:19 PM
I sent him a particularly unpleasant email and received this in response -- and the listing was then pulled:

"We will send the card in to SGC get it graded. We are an excellent ebay seller and we guarantee every item we purchase as you can not ebay our feeback of over 6 years."

Of course, his comments mean nothing.

Potomac Yank
06-16-2009, 02:05 PM
I sent him a particularly unpleasant email and received this in response -- and the listing was then pulled:

"We will send the card in to SGC get it graded. We are an excellent ebay seller and we guarantee every item we purchase as you can not ebay our feeback of over 6 years."

Let me see if I understand this right? :)

He's a Power seller. :)

User ID's kept Private. :)

He claims to be an excellent eBay seller, but doesn't slab Wagner's for more money. :)

I know I'm 78, but part of my education were from the streets of Spanish Harlem.

What part of REPRINT doesn't he understand? :) ... and how can we help him?

sbfinley
06-16-2009, 02:38 PM
Stay Classy Ebay.

showtime
06-16-2009, 03:28 PM

I got a totally different response from him when I contacted him. This is cut and pasted from his response to me via ebay messaging...........

We are in receipt of your email. We are an excellent Ebay seller with an excellent history and reputation and most of our buyers are repeat customers and auction houses.

We are a large company with several people who list on Ebay. A new member of our staff from San Diego listed the card by mistake along with several lots of other vintage cards last night. Within 12 hours of the item being listed, we removed the item as the value and description were completely wrong and it was found by one of our partners.

We would only ask that you look at the whole of our company as a buyer and seller prior to rushing to judgment, however we understand your intent was to be of assistance.

We have no intent to mislead anyone and enjoy a 30 year history of excellent business relation and over 6 years on Ebay with 100% feedback.

All our best

- the714gallery

Kawika
06-16-2009, 03:33 PM
". . . you can not ebay our feeback of over 6 years."
Huh?

calvindog
06-16-2009, 03:35 PM
Lol

Anthony S.
06-16-2009, 03:36 PM
Mistakenly listed the card while the previous sale of the card (correctly identified as a reprint) was still searchable on Ebay.

showtime
06-16-2009, 03:41 PM
". . . you can not ebay our feeback of over 6 years."
Huh?

yeah, i didnt quite get that either

calvindog
06-16-2009, 03:43 PM
On one hand he claims it was a listing error; but then to me he claims he's going to get it graded. Totally inconsistent. And his attempt to sell a raw Tip Top Wagner in excellent condition without getting it graded -- is all anyone needs to see to know this seller is a fraud.

showtime
06-16-2009, 03:48 PM
On one hand he claims it was a listing error; but then to me he claims he's going to get it graded. Totally inconsistent. And his attempt to sell a raw Tip Top Wagner in excellent condition without getting it graded -- is all anyone needs to see to know this seller is a fraud.

agreed.

if youre going to lie, stick to one story.

Potomac Yank
06-16-2009, 03:49 PM
If it sounds like a duck, _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

BillyCoxDodgers3B
06-16-2009, 03:56 PM
...eBay ain't just a river in Egypt!

slidekellyslide
06-16-2009, 04:06 PM
Read up on the old thread that Matt posted....I busted this guy for posing as someone else on the old Net54 site. The guy is a scammer through and through.

Bridwell
06-16-2009, 05:08 PM
They don't have anything on ebay over $2000. The Wagner was listed for $4500. As their top card in their inventory it is unlikely they made an 'honest mistake'.

buymycards
06-16-2009, 05:53 PM
I'm really upset. I thought I was bidding on a 1959 Fleer.
:confused:

showtime
06-16-2009, 07:31 PM
Got a pretty funny followup from the guy after politely asking which answer he gave to multiple people was the correct on. It was a slow day at work and I wanted to put a smile on my face to see how big of a hole this guy could dig. I guess I'm easily entertained, but also wanted to put more pressure on the guy so he knows he's being watched. Here is follow up to me, cut and pasted again from ebay messaging, nothing at all altered.....

We are sorry you cannot accept our answer. As for the email this morning, it was sent by the same young man who listed the item and he assumed he was doing the right thing. He has since been informed on proper protocol on a matter like this.

In the meantime, we did not sell the card off line, nor would we as indicated by our business history. In closing, since we are a large management firm, all of our Ebay transactions are private and always have been as are many Ebay sellers.

Thank you again for your interest.

- the714gallery

showtime
06-16-2009, 07:34 PM
I've also been blocked from bidding on his auctions. I love when fraudulent sellers do me the favor of keeping me away from them so I don't have to worry about accidently bidding on something of his years from now.

Potomac Yank
06-16-2009, 07:56 PM
Got a pretty funny followup from the guy after politely asking which answer he gave to multiple people was the correct on. It was a slow day at work and I wanted to put a smile on my face to see how big of a hole this guy could dig. I guess I'm easily entertained, but also wanted to put more pressure on the guy so he knows he's being watched. Here is follow up to me, cut and pasted again from ebay messaging, nothing at all altered.....

We are sorry you cannot accept our answer. As for the email this morning, it was sent by the same young man who listed the item and he assumed he was doing the right thing. He has since been informed on proper protocol on a matter like this.

In the meantime, we did not sell the card off line, nor would we as indicated by our business history. In closing, since we are a large management firm, all of our Ebay transactions are private and always have been as are many Ebay sellers.

Thank you again for your interest.

- the714gallery

If it walks like a duck _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

rdixon1208
06-16-2009, 07:58 PM
Part of me wants to believe that this is just a mistake. The fact that he didn't wait a while, or try to sell this card under a different ID indicates to me that this had to be a mistake. But the thing about "A new member of our staff listed this card" just doesn't add up. How did he know how much to ask for? Surely this new employee is taking direction from someone, especially on a card that expensive (sort of). Besides, $36 is too much to pay for a reprint IMO. Unless of course......

Matt
06-16-2009, 08:07 PM
Part of me wants to believe that this is just a mistake. The fact that he didn't wait a while, or try to sell this card under a different ID indicates to me that this had to be a mistake. But the thing about "A new member of our staff listed this card" just doesn't add up. How did he know how much to ask for? Surely this new employee is taking direction from someone, especially on a card that expensive (sort of). Besides, $36 is too much to pay for a reprint IMO. Unless of course......

As has already been pointed out here a few times, this is not an isolated incident with this seller. He asks that we take his full history into account before we judge him and I agree.

Potomac Yank
06-16-2009, 08:09 PM
I wont be satisfied until the person that hired this new employee is fired!

Oops, I almost forgot.

If it looks like a duck _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

calvindog
06-16-2009, 08:22 PM
Part of me wants to believe that this is just a mistake.

I'd like to sell that part of you a bridge in Brooklyn. :)

rdixon1208
06-16-2009, 11:00 PM
I'd like to sell that part of you a bridge in Brooklyn. :)

Unfortunately that part of me is always broke :D

Ladder7
06-18-2009, 02:53 PM
Brad. Why would you sell reprints online, or off for that matter?.. I can't think of any positive outcome from doing it. Sorry bud, had to say it.

Tcards-Please
06-18-2009, 03:10 PM
Brad. Why would you sell reprints online, or off for that matter?.. I can't think of any positive outcome from doing it. Sorry bud, had to say it.

Maybe for those people that like the player/card and can't afford the real thing. I see nothing wrong with selling reprints as long as they are advertised as such. Along the same lines as copies of photos of Ty Cobb, Joe Jackson and the Babe that people sell every day.

Just my .02

r/
Frank

calvindog
06-18-2009, 03:50 PM
The seller --the714gallery--has been suspended by ebay.

Matt
06-18-2009, 03:52 PM
Maybe for those people that like the player/card and can't afford the real thing. I see nothing wrong with selling reprints as long as they are advertised as such.

Frank - I think most would agree if the card itself said "reprint" on it (perhaps on the back). That way we wouldn't have to worry about the 2nd or 3rd person to own it trying to sell it as authentic (accidentally or otherwise).

Tcards-Please
06-18-2009, 04:02 PM
Frank - I think most would agree if the card itself said "reprint" on it (perhaps on the back). That way we wouldn't have to worry about the 2nd or 3rd person to own it trying to sell it as authentic (accidentally or otherwise).

Matt, then this has more to do with the card manufacturer than the seller. To me the manufacturer has more responsibility to make/show a distinction between the real thing and the reprint. As a seller, he or she has the right to sell the card as long as they identify it as a reprint. I can certainly understand your position about the 2nd and 3rd seller being dishonest, but again it first started with the manufacturer.

But that wasn't the original question posed to Brad. I only answered the question as it was posted.

r/
Frank

V117collector
06-18-2009, 04:35 PM

You make it seem selling a disclosed reprint would tarnish a legitimate collectors reputation:confused: I bought the card as a reprint and sold the card it as a reprint, what's the problem with that?

Not being able to afford the real card is a possibility, but is totally irrelevant in this thread! :rolleyes: I hope this clears any misconceptions you may have towards me. If you have any other question regarding my credibility as a seller, please don't hesitate!

Ladder7
06-18-2009, 08:25 PM
You make it seem selling a disclosed reprint would tarnish a legitimate collectors reputation:confused: I bought the card as a reprint and sold the card it as a reprint, what's the problem with that?

Not being able to afford the real card is a possibility, but is totally irrelevant in this thread! :rolleyes: I hope this clears any misconceptions you may have towards me. If you have any other question regarding my credibility as a seller, please don't hesitate!

Don't be so sensitive there son... It's not about you, I or the majority of the membership. But that novice collector getting the shaft. Simply put, some these gems WILL inevitably bite some poor schmuck in the butt. Nothing personal, just a pet peave since buying a fake Gehrig many years ago. -Steve

V117collector
06-18-2009, 09:52 PM
Don't be so sensitive there son... It's not about you, I or the majority of the membership. But that novice collector getting the shaft. Simply put, some these gems WILL inevitably bite some poor schmuck in the butt. Nothing personal, just a pet peave since buying a fake Gehrig many years ago. -Steve

It is not a question about being sensitive Steve. It’s a question about you consciously or unconsciously trying to manufacture a problem on my behalf.

“Why would you sell reprints online, or off for that matter?..”

Steve what makes you think I sold more then one reprint on or off line? I wouldn’t want to be considered a reprint seller within our community, would you? Steve don’t assume anything or imply I’m known for selling reprints..

“I can't think of any positive outcome from doing it.”

NO KIDDING!

-
Buying a high valued card worth thousands without doing personal research would only be ignorant. Buy graded material at first.

Leon
06-19-2009, 09:25 AM
Reprints? are a 35 yr old debate. If you read the old hobby rags they were very frowned upon when they very first came out. After that they became more accepted and Larry Frisch (RIP) has sold thousands of sets of reprints. The only thing wrong with them, in my book, is exactly as Steve points out. They are a potential for a bad deal from/for unsuspecting, unknowing, hobbyists. When reprints are sold and handled as reprints there is no issue. regards

Potomac Yank
06-20-2009, 12:00 PM
Reprints? are a 35 yr old debate. If you read the old hobby rags they were very frowned upon when they very first came out. After that they became more accepted and Larry Frisch (RIP) has sold thousands of sets of reprints. The only thing wrong with them, in my book, is exactly as Steve points out. They are a potential for a bad deal from/for unsuspecting, unknowing, hobbyists. When reprints are sold and handled as reprints there is no issue. regards

I agree with the above.

It wont happen, but it would be great if eBay had a seperate category, or section for Reprints

Talk about naivete.

Can you imagine eBay being concerned about buyers, and their hidden user ID's. :)

Rob D.
06-20-2009, 12:12 PM
If the concern is sellers who knowingly sell reprints as originals, then eBay implementing a section devoted to reprints wouldn't do a thing to help curtail the problem. Just having a "reprints" section isn't going to result in sellers listing their fakes cards in the proper category.

barrysloate
06-20-2009, 12:35 PM
Ebay has a section for reproductions under U.S. Coins. Unfortunately, the result is often pages and pages of worthless repros (all originating from China) polluting the listing for the vintage ones.

Potomac Yank
06-20-2009, 03:49 PM
I remember the numistmatic world well.
I spent about 35 years in it.
The days of Eddie Brown, Jack Fiorino from Queens, Brigandi from Manhattan. sigh.

There are a few similarities in the both hobbies ... but I don't think Chinese baseball card reprints is one of them. :)