PDA

View Full Version : Help with Tris Speaker item

vintagebrett
06-12-2009, 06:59 PM
Hello

My dad has had this item in his collection for a while now - it is a stand up figure of Tris Speaker in an A's uniform. It is about 12 inches tall. Does anyone have any info on the purpose of this item? Was it a giveaway, part of a series?? Any information would be most appreciated. Thanks for your time.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b313/vintagebrett/speaker1.jpg

BillyCoxDodgers3B
06-12-2009, 09:10 PM
While I'm no means an expert on this subject, your item looks a lot like similar pieces that photographer George Burke had custom made back in the 1920's-40's. Usually, such items are found among player estates.

prewarsports
06-13-2009, 12:02 AM
Jodi is probably right. Assuming it is not marked on the bottom, here are a few other traits of the Burke stand ups.

If the photo is textured (sort of like a mat finish), Cant tell on yours

Original framed mounts were made from picture frame sections painted silver. Yours is not the right base but it could have just been replaced

Should be mounted to a wooden board with beveled edges on back and can be removed from the base easily

These are generally all about the same size (less than 10 inches tall because he just took his 8X10 photos to make these) It sounds like yours is bigger than this (all mine are between 7-9 inches without base) so that COULD indicate it is a different item, but it might be a 9.5 inches with a 2 inch base or something too.

I have bought 4-5 of these from different players estates over the years and Dick Bartells daughter in law has (4) different all of Bartell. I have never seen one come up for sale that did not come at some point from the player identified. All the ones I have seen have the Burke stamp on the base but as I mentioned, at the very least your base is not original if it is a Burke item

Assuming it is a Burke stand up (looks like it but could be something else due to size and base) Speaker is the best subject I have seen come up for sale, these surprisingly dont do that well. I sold a really nice one of Bartell and it went for about $85 so instead of selling the other one for his daughter, I just bought it myself and still have it. I think I still have one of Walter Beck too somewhere but he is missing his base.

Assuming it is the Burke stand up photos he made for players, given that yours is dirty and shows some wear, I would say it is worth in the $200-$250 range but is honestly cooler than that price tag in my opinion. It would probably be worth more if it WASNT a Burke stand up and really is 12 inches tall though.

Hopefully that helped and was not too confusing.

Rhys

vintagebrett
06-13-2009, 04:05 AM
Hi

Thanks for all of your help so far - very interesting and informative. Here is a picture of the back. The exact measure from the bottom of the base to the top of his head is 10 7/8 inches. There are no stampings on the base. I know the bat portion was repaired so the base could have been redone at some point as well.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b313/vintagebrett/speaker2.jpg

prewarsports
06-13-2009, 10:05 AM
It is a Burke standup with replaced base. The back shows the beveling I mentioned and the size is the tallest I have seen but without the base would still fit below the 10" max that the Burke's have due to him using his real photos. I have no idea how much the replaced base would affect the value along with the replaced bat, but I would still think it has a value in the $150+ range and it is a cool item.

Rhys

vintagebrett
06-13-2009, 11:36 AM
Thanks - it is always great to learn more about vintage sports stuff. The help is much appreciated.

effe
06-13-2009, 07:31 PM
I'll second that. I've had this in my collection for quite some time and never knew it's origin. The bat is broken and now I just learned that its missing a base. But finding out it was made especially for Bill Norman makes me look at it a new light.

Rob D.
06-14-2009, 11:42 AM
Here are scans of the only George Burke stand-up I own, of Indians pitcher Johnny Allen. It's about 9 inches tall and has Burke's stamp on the bottom, along with the date Sept. 1, 1935, written in what looks like brown ink.

The inscription on the back reads "To Edna From Monte" and is dated 9-2-36.

Seems like Monte was quite the romantic.

drc
06-14-2009, 07:56 PM
The Burke standups are undervalued, in my estimation. I would expect them to be worth more in the future. They are rare and neat pieces. I've seen fewer than 10 of them.

prewarsports
06-14-2009, 09:51 PM
I agree with David. Seeing these in person is a completely different story than a scan. They are truly beautiful items and very well made.

Rhys

GGterps
06-19-2009, 08:50 AM
I have had this for a few years with no clue as to what I might be. Based on the pictures in this thread it looks like it could be a Burke as well.

Also, I have no clue who this player is - any ideas?

Do you think it's a Burke?

Notice it has a 3 stamped in the back of the player and a 3 written on the underside of the base? The player without the base stands about 9 1/2" tall.

Thanks,
Greg

slidekellyslide
06-19-2009, 11:19 AM
Greg, it looks like you might be able to read the team name going vertically down the jersey. Can you see that? If it says "Lincoln" I'd be interested in it.

prewarsports
06-19-2009, 12:40 PM
Looks like a Burke with a replaced base again. The scan of teh Allen above is what all the original bases I have seen look like.

Rhys