PDA

View Full Version : Is it real or is it Memorex Peck & Snyder

pitchernut
06-07-2009, 12:03 PM
Since you folks are the experts (imo), please see if you can point out the "fakeness" of this card before I get stupid and send it in for authentication. I don't have a good scanner so this is it for quality. I'm pretty good with post 1900 cards, and a UV light does not help because I have nothing this old to compare with. It does make a good conversation piece specially after that recent find.

Leon
06-07-2009, 12:09 PM
maybe this will help.....

pitchernut
06-07-2009, 12:16 PM
Leon, is your card glossy at all? I do see the "tone" of the picture seems darker... What else am I looking for?

bcbgcbrcb
06-07-2009, 12:20 PM
Jim:

You are looking for an albumen photo mounted onto a CDV backing. It appears like your photo is all part of the card itself.

barrysloate
06-07-2009, 12:21 PM
That Peck and Snyder is a fake. Not even close.

FrankWakefield
06-07-2009, 12:28 PM
I agree with Barry. That is not an authentic card. But I'm not saying you couldn't get it into a slab if you sent it off.

Leon
06-07-2009, 02:47 PM
Phil is correct...it's a photo pasted onto a mount.....(cdv)

Carte de Visite photographs--small albumen prints mounted on cards 2-1/2 by 4 inches--were wildly popular and made for decades in countries around the world. The format was an international standard; for the first time, relatives and friends could exchange portraits, knowing they would find a place in the recipient's family album--whether that album was located in Brooklyn, Berlin or Brazil. In addition, unlike earlier photographs made with such processes as the daguerreotype and ambrotype, cartes de visite could be sent through the mail without the need for a bulky case and fragile cover-glass. Their small size also made them relatively inexpensive, and they became so widespread that by 1863 Dr. Oliver Wendell Holmes would write, "Card portraits, as everybody knows, have become the social currency, the 'green-backs' of civilization."

pitchernut
06-07-2009, 03:01 PM
I see what you are talking about, thanks for all the info, and although had my doupts regarding this card now I know for sure. You guys are great.

calvindog
06-07-2009, 03:44 PM
I agree with Barry. That is not an authentic card. But I'm not saying you couldn't get it into a slab if you sent it off.

Really? Besides PRO who would take such an obvious fake? Do you think PSA and SGC would just slip a 5 figure card like that into a slab without taking a second look? Honestly, that's a ridiculous notion, come on.

Jim VB
06-07-2009, 04:14 PM
Jeff,

Don't argue with Frank.

That's Rob's job.

Rob D.
06-07-2009, 04:49 PM
Not anymore, Jim. Don't want to risk driving anyone else away.

(But thanks for the legitimate lol.)

FrankWakefield
06-07-2009, 05:10 PM
Some folks seldom have anything to add; yet seem to thrive on detracting...

But go ahead... get in the last word, again.