PDA

View Full Version : Print mark on 1959 topps #317

shprintza
06-05-2009, 09:12 PM
Hi- with the 1959 topps #317 ashburn/mays, I've noticed that some of them have the exact same print mark right above where their shoulders meet- it looks sort of like an A.
Is this something that is known and has been gone through already? If so, I would greatly appreciate it if someone could tell me where it stands- does it detract from the value of the card, or is it an error card or variation or something like that.

Thank you in advance for your help

Zev

dennis
06-05-2009, 10:41 PM
They all have it.

shprintza
06-06-2009, 12:22 PM
hi- thank you for getting back to me so soon. However, I'm still confused.
In all my time on ebay, I definitely saw some without it. Also, I just did an ebay search for that card, and some had the print mark and some didn't. (And the pictures were all big enough that it was obvious which ones had it and which ones didn't.)

Any information that can help me understand this better would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks- Zev

dennis
06-06-2009, 04:46 PM
well after reading your post i looked at the ebay listings for the ash/mays card and some did not have the A. i always thought they all had it and it was just a print flaw (which it is). the #75 topps 1957 piersall has a similiar print flaw (a red line near his ear on the left side of the card.) some have the red line and others do not. well this must be the same as the 59 ashburn/mays some have the print flaw and some don't neither seem to command a premium price. what is odd is that it is not ever mentioned in the completion of a master set. i guess it does not matter but i would think that a master set would require both flawed and unflawed versions of both of these cards. also some of the 1956 cards have print lines (the williams and wynn come to mind) and i think that these do have a premium. i am sure others will chime in on this interesting subject.