PDA

View Full Version : Got my SGC Magazine yesterday...

JasonL
06-04-2009, 08:48 AM
Had fun reading the articles from familiar names - Nice job Baary A, JimB, and Al C!
and a very nice glossy production from my favorite folks in NJ.

Well done all.

Leon
06-04-2009, 08:56 AM
I got mine too. Very well done, gentlemen!!!

Randy S's tribute brought a tear to my eye. He really was a super gentlemen. I am not sure I have met a nicer person in the entire hobby. He will be missed.

ethicsprof
06-04-2009, 09:58 AM
many thanks for the kind words.
i had a great time thinking about how much the centennial celebration of
the T206s means to me and so many of us.
a very special thanks to Al C. who made it all happen in his usual top drawer fashion!!!

all the best,
barry

Wesley
06-04-2009, 12:28 PM
Lots of great articles by forum members. I love the T206 articles by Barry, JimB and others here!

ethicsprof
06-04-2009, 02:16 PM
Thanks very much, Wesley!
I just got my copy a couple of hours ago and was very pleased to see,
in addition to those pieces already mentioned, great articles by
other Forum colleagues: Paul M on Mathewson,Joe Yanello on Shoeless'
Set, and Ed McCollum on Howe McCormick's Baseball Cards.
Take a look friends!

all the best,
Barry

thegashousegang
06-04-2009, 04:13 PM
Just received mine today...looks great. Good job everyone.

Jimmy

toppcat
06-04-2009, 05:29 PM
One of their best issues. In addition to the T206 articles, there is an article on '52 Bowman large FB and '64 Topps hockey cards. Great stuff all around!

E93
06-04-2009, 06:20 PM
Thanks guys.
JimB

mikedenero
06-04-2009, 10:50 PM
I agree with all the comments here -- received my copy today and have gotten halfway through it. The presentation of the SGC Collector Magazine, generally, and this issue in particular, is exquisite (and I'm not just giving them props because my article is in it!):p Seriously, great job, Al. The colors on the cover and throughout the T206 articles just jump off the pages. Great idea to focus on the collectors of the Monster as well. Aces job, everyone!

ethicsprof
06-04-2009, 11:34 PM
Many thanks, Mike.
I know very little about football--no surprises from anyone, i'm sure--but
i found your thesis very interesting and provocative(in the best sense of the word). And as one born before 1952--to use your pivotal date-- i must say that I truly enjoyed remembering some of the greats that you mentioned and which I actually collected as a young boy in the late fifties and early sixties.
great work.

all the best,
barry

cfc1909
06-05-2009, 08:48 AM
Got mine today and don't remember paying for a sub. Thanks SGC.

Great articles by all collectors. I love the license plate. T206 is my passion and I love sharing it with the members of this board.

mikedenero
06-05-2009, 09:04 AM
Many thanks, Mike.
I know very little about football--no surprises from anyone, i'm sure--but
i found your thesis very interesting and provocative(in the best sense of the word). And as one born before 1952--to use your pivotal date-- i must say that I truly enjoyed remembering some of the greats that you mentioned and which I actually collected as a young boy in the late fifties and early sixties.
great work.

all the best,
barry

Thanks Barry. I really enjoyed your opening tribute to the Monster as well, particularly when you mentioned that you bought your first T206 (Matty (dark cap)) shortly after getting married. I bought mine (T206 Keeler (with bat)) while on my honeymoon (don't tell my wife, please). That card is still one of my favorites. Incidentally, I bought the same card three years later for my friend's son, who shares Wee Willie's first and last name, sans the "wee" bit!

ethicsprof
06-05-2009, 12:06 PM
Mike,
great stories about your 'honeymoon card' and the 'new' Willie Keeler.
adding these and key others to Paul M's naming of his son 'Mathewson', i would say
the Monster is smiling gratefully(yet surreptitiously,to keep his scary mask potent) at this Centennial Celebration.

all the best,
barry

bijoem
06-07-2009, 11:28 AM
I just read the SGC magazine.

what a great read. very enjoyable articles by some very familiar names.

e107collector
07-02-2009, 07:45 PM
The Magazine was a great read. Does anyone know if the T206 Wagner that is pictured on the cover and in the articles is the Nagy Example?

Thanks,
Tony

ethicsprof
07-02-2009, 09:51 PM
i don't know but Al C. will.
where are you Al ?

thanks for the kind words.

best,

barry

OldSchoolBaseball
07-03-2009, 03:17 PM
Hi, Where can I get a copy of this magazine? Very interested in reading up on the T206's.

David
three4moore@yahoo.com

Rob D.
07-03-2009, 04:03 PM
David,

If you'd like to e-mail me your address, I'll put my copy in the mail Monday morning.

Rob

wolfie51sb at aol.com