PDA

View Full Version : Breitenstein question???

John V
06-02-2009, 05:59 PM
I'm doing some research and dug up some conflicting info on Breitenstein. Is the player on the T206 and the T210 considered to be the same guy? Ted? Were there other Breitensteins? More later, I need to turn on the hockey game and make some scans.

John

rhettyeakley
06-02-2009, 06:11 PM
John, according to my records the guy in the T210 Series 1 is not Ted Breitenstein, his name was William G. Breitenstein, while the Breitenstein in Series 8 (w/ New Orleans) is Theodore P. (Ted) Breitenstein.
-Rhett

John V
06-02-2009, 06:53 PM
Rhett,
I had always thought Ted was on the Columbia team and made his way to New Orleans, or vice-versa. These guys had to have been related. (Where are the ear experts?)
I assume "Vinegar Bill" was a playing manager for Columbia?
John

bmarlowe1
06-02-2009, 08:19 PM
Bill played for Columbia in 1909, and was player/mgr in 1910.

There is no listing for Ted with Columbia.

DixieBaseball
06-03-2009, 08:29 AM
Here is the T210 and T213-1 cards of Breit... (He was New Orleans Ace back in the 1908-1909 era) I don't have his T206 card anymore, and I can't remember if the image is identical to these 2 images or a Profile shot. (I believe it looks like the T213-1 Coupon...

DixieBaseball
06-03-2009, 08:39 AM
John - Sabr, shows that Bill played for Shreveport, La. in 1905 and 1906 and from the looks of his career he bounced around between Louisana,Florida,Georgia,South Carolina, and Nashville (South).

Ted obviously played for New Orleans, but he got his start in the Southern Leagues in 1902 with Memphis and played there 2 years, while Bill played down the road in Nashville in 1902.

I think with the names, and the time frame, along with them both playing in sister cities in Tennessee at the same time and sister cities in Louisana at the same time, these chaps have to be related. Conclusive... not at all, but the evidence screams brothers...

Sabr also shows Ted was born in St. Louis, but no birthplace for Bill.

Interesting and good questions... Hope the above info sheds some light...

John V
06-03-2009, 09:24 AM
I'm headed back to the Columbia library to view some more microfilms. I left off on March 4, 1910. Players were signing contracts and arriving to begin spring training. It's enjoyable playing detective. I'll be on the lookout for any mention of the Breitenstein brothers. Saw a comment about Joe Jackson signing or trying out with the Athletics. He did not "stick" with them and ended up with the New Orleans Pelicans. From the paper: "He will probably stick with the Pelicans since he can field some and hit much" 3/12/1910

John V
06-03-2009, 08:02 PM
Would someone be kind enough to provide the link to SABR for researching minor league players. I am having a heckuva time finding it.
Thanks, John

DixieBaseball
06-03-2009, 11:03 PM
I believe Sabr has teamed up with Baseballreference.com

Here is the link : http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors

Go to Minors Tab, then Team and search by city in each state or player, etc...

Tom Hufford
06-04-2009, 10:24 PM
As best as I can determine, Ted Breitenstein (the major leaguer) and William Breitenstein (T210 Columbia) were not brothers.

Ted was born and died in St. Louis. He was the son of Louis and Elizabeth (Moore) Breitenstein. His wife Ida died of bladder cancer on April 25, 1935, and Ted died eight days later - May 3, 1935.

The 1910 US Census for Columbia, Richland Co., SC lists William Breitenstein, age 29, "ball player, league team." It lists Kentucky as the birthplace of him and his parents. His wife, Helen, was age 26, born in Ohio. (I just love it when a T210 player shows up in the 1910 census, listed as "ballplayer" in the city where he is playing - with a clue to where he was from!)

His World War I draft registration card shows William Gerald Breitenstein, b. April 23, 1881, with wife Helen W., living at 950 Richmond, Cincinnati, OH in 1917. His place of employment was listed as "YWCA Hospital - Camp Jackson, SC" . Fort Jackson still exists - right outside Columbia, SC.

William and Helen are listed in the 1920 Ohio census, living in Cincinnati. His occupation was "armor work - US govt."

William G. Breitenstein, welfare worker, shows up in the 1924 San Diego, CA voter registration list. William G. and wife Helen M. are listed there on the 1928 voter list.

Helen M. Breitenstein is listed in the 1930 San Diego, CA census as "head of household" and I can find no trace of William in the 1930 census.

William is listed in the 1900 Census living with his parents William and Alice in Dayton, Campbell Co., KY - right across the river from the Great American Ball Park in Cincinnati. William and his parents were both listed as born in Ohio, but the younger children in the family were listed as born in Kentucky.

So, I'm guessing that William G. Breitenstein, the ballplayer, was born in Ohio (probably in Cincinnati) in 1881, then moved across the river and grew up in Dayton, KY. After his ballplaying days, he worked for the government, lived in Cincinnati, and moved to San Diego between 1920 and 1924. He probably died (or left for parts unknown) between 1928 and 1930.

John V
06-05-2009, 04:50 AM
Tom,
Great research! Do you subscribe to Genealogy.com, or were all the census records available online?

Can you share the link?

What are the odds of 2 Breitensteins being affiliated with professional baseball in 1910, not being related?
Thanks for the info.
John

FrankWakefield
06-05-2009, 07:46 AM
Tom, that is one fine post. Thank you.

Once in a while a post here kinda hammers the nail through the plank with one swing. You've knocked the ball over the fence with that post.

Please do tell us about your sources for that if they're accessible online.

Only thing I could take exception to would be describing that concrete and steel thing across the river as "Great"... I've been there a few times, they should have named it "Fair to Middlin' American Ball Park". Maybe someone will buy the naming rights and change it.