PDA

View Full Version : More EBAY insanity!

danmckee
05-31-2009, 07:44 AM
Guy charges me $7.50 shipping, doesn't answer my email asking why and item arrives with $4 postage in a brown small envelope not bubble. I go to leave a neutral due to the postage theft and I now get this message from ebay:

"You cannot leave negative or neutral Feedback for this PowerSeller within 7 days of the transaction.
In the mean time, email the seller or request additional contact information, such as a phone number, to resolve any issues"

If the guy won't return my email I am not going through the hassle of calling him. So after 7 days I can leave the neutral?

I don't get this system ebay has at all. Also, I left a seller a 4 recently in the star category for description as it was horribly graded. And it shows a 4 as reasonable. So if they are booting sellers for a rating of 4.3, then that is just more insanity.

slantycouch
05-31-2009, 07:49 AM
I agree. It's pretty much absurd. And $7.50 shipping for a brown envelope is unreal.

Mrc32
05-31-2009, 08:53 AM
With eBay's and paypal's high fees, and lousy service it is a wonder that a viable alternative has not launched where people can list and sell. Craiglist has done this for a lot of things.....but it sure would be nice to have another place to list and buy cards.

martyogelvie
05-31-2009, 11:13 AM
In lieu of neutral, I guess you could leave 1 star on Shipping...

but in this case, neutral may be warranted. :mad:

Rob D.
05-31-2009, 11:33 AM
... but it sure would be nice to have another place to list and buy cards.

Folks might want to check out this thread from the B/S/T:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=112683

Judging by the comments left there, Frank's innovative and creative thinking might have hatched a viable alternative to eBay, right here on Net54.

slidekellyslide
05-31-2009, 02:00 PM
Yesterday I won a lot of 6 baseballs on ebay and the lady charged me $15.50 to ship them. It will be interesting to see how much it really cost when the package arrives.

HRBAKER
05-31-2009, 02:47 PM
We seem to have this discussion every few months or so. What do most people think is a reasonable amount to charge for handling part of shipping and handling? Most businesses charge some kind of upcharge over and above what the actual postage is to cover time, materials, gas, salaries, etc. It is very obvious that some sellers attempt to make the S&H a profit center to help defray part of their listing and final value fees, particularly those who seem to charge what seems to be a ridiculous amount for the second and third and such item. As someone who does not sell on ebay, what is fair?

slidekellyslide
05-31-2009, 02:52 PM
I almost always lose on shipping and if I accidentally collected too much then I always refund the difference through paypal back to the buyer. I really don't have a problem with what people charge for shipping if it's stated up front....like the baseballs I bought off ebay yesterday I knew the shipping prior to the end of the auction so I really have no problem with it...it was high enough that maybe it even scared away some bidders??? It will be interesting to see what kind of shipping my $15.50 bought me though.

Bill Stone
05-31-2009, 03:09 PM
I will not buy using eBay if the shipping charges aren't stated. If I really want the item I will email the Seller and confirm a fixed shipping charge prior to bidding. If the charge is high I bid a little lower so that the total is acceptable - If the Seller will not state or agree on a shipping charge I just move on to the next one. This rule has worked fine for me.

Adam
05-31-2009, 03:36 PM
Just curious --- In the two specific eBay auctions referenced above (one where there was a $7.50 charge for shipping and handling, and one where there was a $15.50 charge for shipping and handling), did the sellers not indicate in their respective auctions that they would be charging those specific amounts as shipping and handling? (So, in other words, were you were both caught off guard when all of a sudden these were the amounts included as shipping and handling?)

If the sellers did not disclose exactly what they were charging for shipping and handling in the listing, then I agree it was very unfair and they deserve a poor rating. If, however, the $7.50 and $15.50, respectively, was disclosed in the listings as the amounts that would be charged to the winners as S&H (and thus you knew exactly the amount you were going to be charged for S&H before you decided to bid and thus you could have taken that into account in deciding how much to bid), then that's a very different situation.

sportscardtheory
05-31-2009, 04:40 PM
Just curious --- In the two specific eBay auctions referenced above (one where there was a $7.50 charge for shipping and handling, and one where there was a $15.50 charge for shipping and handling), did the sellers not indicate in their respective auctions that they would be charging those specific amounts as shipping and handling? (So, in other words, were you were both caught off guard when all of a sudden these were the amounts included as shipping and handling?)

If the sellers did not disclose exactly what they were charging for shipping and handling in the listing, then I agree it was very unfair and they deserve a poor rating. If, however, the $7.50 and $15.50, respectively, was disclosed in the listings as the amounts that would be charged to the winners as S&H (and thus you knew exactly the amount you were going to be charged for S&H before you decided to bid and thus you could have taken that into account in deciding how much to bid), then that's a very different situation.

People like to complain about shipping even after they agree to pay it... it's just one of those backwards things that never changes. I mean, if I was charged $7.50 for shipping, I would accept that for what it is. I certainly wouldn't expect the bubble mailer to be filled with rocks to get the price up to $7.50. It's something you agree to up front, not something that is negotiable after the fact.

Northviewcats
05-31-2009, 05:12 PM
Can we ease up a bit on eBay and eBay sellers.

To be honest I know that I wouldn't have the collection that I enjoy today if it wasn't for eBay. Sure, they are not perfect, but they are going through the same growing pains that every business has when they have been in business for ten years. The novelty has run its course and most people want to buy products immediately and not wait seven days for an auction to end. Unfortunately, for us the card and collectible is a perfect match for the way eBay ran their business when it first started, now that they are trying to be more like Amazon and other retail sellers we have to adapt to this reality. Something will evolve that will fit out niche, but we cannot blame eBay for trying to survive in a changing market.

As for the postage: the other day I waited forty-five minutes to mail two cards at the post office because both clerks were taking care of applications for Passports. Why they couldn't have one window for passport applications I don't know. And believe me long waits at the post office are the rule not the exception. I'm sure there are probably other ways of mailing out my eBay sales, but I'm to lazy to find them. I still consider it just a hobby. If I charged my customers for my time I spend driving to and waiting in line at the post office, I would have to charge $10.00 per transaction.

The bottom line is collecting is a hobby, for most of us. eBay and the post office have made it easier for us to collect the things that we want. We should keep looking for new ways to trade cards, and a better way will come around, but in the meantime it wouldn't hurt to appreciate just a little bit the vehicles that have helped us in the past.

Best wishes,

Joe

danmckee
05-31-2009, 05:13 PM
All good statements, I charge $3 shipping and insurance is always optional. To ship a card it costs me $1.58 which includes delivery confirmation and .20 for the bubble mailer.

The $7.50 in mine was stated up front and I wrote asking about it and I was ignored. I bid anyways so yes I saw it, but I don't think that charging so much extra is right.

If it would have came priority (which I think is a rip off for light items) I would have then understood it.

I have had buyers win multiple items from me and pay all of the duplicate shipping before I can invoice, they get refunded the difference.

My problem with my seller is he didn't answer my emails at all so you can bet communication and shipping charges will be 1 star each.

Dan

danmckee
05-31-2009, 05:15 PM
Dearest Joe, print your shipping labels through paypal, stick them in your mailbox and put the little flag up, there is no need to deal with postal clerks anymore. Dan.

Kehfee
05-31-2009, 05:23 PM
Way to pick your fights Dan.

HRBAKER
05-31-2009, 05:36 PM
A seller who charges $7.50 to ship a card and does not respond to e-mails in light of the new ebay 5 Star rating system is asking for trouble. You can argue back and forth about whether it is too much or whether you have a grievance after you have essentially agreed to pay it by bidding, but to charge that much and ignore customer's e-mails about it is not very wise IMO.

danmckee
05-31-2009, 05:36 PM
uh oh, who did I pick a fight with? Dan.

Exhibitman
05-31-2009, 05:42 PM
Just not worth the headaches of trying to please so many disparate personalities by trying to engineer a perfect price.

As long as shipping is stated up front I now just treat it like vig in a real auction and bid accordingly. Then I get mad only when the item isn't properly packed.

prestigecollectibles
05-31-2009, 05:42 PM
I print all my postage online or I use the automated postage machine in the lobby. The only time I stand in line is to send Registered packages.
It is cheaper to print the online postage anyway.

danmckee
05-31-2009, 05:46 PM
Adam, you are so damn level headed, you would make a great lawyer!

Dan

danmckee
05-31-2009, 06:16 PM
He got a + FB and I starred him up instead of the neutral.

paul
05-31-2009, 07:05 PM
I agree that if the charges are stated up front, you know the facts and should decide whether or not to bid in light of the facts. At the same time, I do think it is a shady business practice to charge more than postage plus the cost of the packaging materials and call it a "shipping" charge. If the seller is going to use a 44 cent stamp to send you your card, but charge you $5.00, he should call the remaining $4.56 a "labor charge," a "profit center," or a "gratuity." It's just not a shipping charge.

It's similar to the nonsense you hear on TV -- "we'll give you a second Shamwow for free, just pay processing and handling." It really should be rephrased as "just pay profit and costs."

Jacklitsch
05-31-2009, 07:27 PM
"It's similar to the nonsense you hear on TV -- "we'll give you a second Shamwow for free, just pay processing and handling." It really should be rephrased as "just pay profit and costs.""

Actually Paul Sham Wow is one of the few that doesn't charge extra shipping and handling for the double order.

But you are absolutely right. Those that do are just a ripoff and I'm surprised a few Attorneys General haven't made a case out of it.

cyseymour
05-31-2009, 07:30 PM
Maybe the VCP guys can start a section of their website where cards are auctioned off weekly by various sellers and VCP takes a small cut, like ebay. Maybe have the auctions end at the same time each week. Promote the site, promote VCP, take a cut on the cards, and avoid ebay, all at the same time.

FrankWakefield
05-31-2009, 07:46 PM
Paul, I agree it is a lame use of the term 'shipping'...

After questioning the high charges beyond the actual postage cost, I've had a few sellers explain to me how far they live from the post office, how gasoline costs have increased, and on and on. I get my mail at a post office box; I try to mail stuff then, I don't wait until I've returned home to make a separate trip. And I have no problem 3ing or 4ing some seller who charges way more for shipping than it actually cost. EVEN if I see up front that shipping is $4, if they pay $1.12 postage and charge me $4, that isn't 'reasonable' in my mind. Just because I agreed to it doesn't make it reasonable.

HRBAKER
05-31-2009, 07:59 PM
Paul, I agree it is a lame use of the term 'shipping'...

After questioning the high charges beyond the actual postage cost, I've had a few sellers explain to me how far they live from the post office, how gasoline costs have increased, and on and on. I get my mail at a post office box; I try to mail stuff then, I don't wait until I've returned home to make a separate trip. And I have no problem 3ing or 4ing some seller who charges way more for shipping than it actually cost. EVEN if I see up front that shipping is $4, if they pay $1.12 postage and charge me $4, that isn't 'reasonable' in my mind. Just because I agreed to it doesn't make it reasonable.

I agree Frank. I am not sure that $4 is unreasonable to me but in any event, just bc I agree to pay something or some amount doesn't make it reasonable.

Kehfee
05-31-2009, 08:16 PM
uh oh, who did I pick a fight with? Dan.

What I mean is that years ago you took PSA and Joe Orlando to court. These days you're rattling sabres over being taken for a few bucks on shipping.

On the bright side it sounds like you got the card. Just give him a poor rating on shipping and move on.

rhettyeakley
05-31-2009, 08:38 PM
I agree with most on this forum when they say that if shipping is specified in the auction I anticipate that price when calculating my bid, and bid accordingly. While it irks me when I spend $5-6 on shipping only to have the item arrive in a 2-cent envelope with a a few stamps thrown on it, as long as the item isn't damaged I just chalk it up to experience and move on.

On the other hand, if the seller could leave crappy feedback for unreasonable buyers (much like the old system) there didn't seem to be as many issues as there seems to be now. Ebay is so one-sided now towards the buyer that it makes it too utterly frustrating to use as a seller.

This is coming from someone that hasn't sold an item on ebay in upwards of 2-3 years. At one time I used ebay very regularly but count me as one of those that just can't justify spending my hard-earned time to do all the work writing descriptions, uploading pictures, running to the post office, etc. and then in the end paying ebay 12% of the final value (once paypal is taken into consideration) when I can consign to a reputable auction house who will do all the work and will sometimes even have the item graded, etc. and I don't have to do anything and often have 0% sellers commission.

-Rhett

Also, a recent pet-peave of mine is that I saw an item last week and threw out a snipe and it ended on Thursday evening, I then left on Friday morning for the weekend and didn't even realize I had won it until I opened my email this morning and I had 16 emails from the seller ranging from invoices to private messages wondering why I hadn't paid for the item yet. I expect a couple, but 16!

drdduet
06-01-2009, 02:13 PM
It's a confederacy of dunces I tell ya.

Kawika
06-01-2009, 03:03 PM
That was one amazingly funny book.