PDA

View Full Version : Stanley Ketchel proof photo?

b.heagy
05-30-2009, 12:45 PM
Picked up a vintage/original Stanley Ketchel photo that measures 11 x 14 inches. Doing a little research I noticed it is the same/similar image as an exhibit card. Wondering if this is possibly a proof? publicity photo? any help is appreciated. I have some other vintage items that I would like to share with the group. Will get some pics up later.

D. Bergin
05-31-2009, 12:16 AM
It's a common pose of Ketchel that's been reproduced over the years. I wouldn't think it had anything to do with the exhibit card.

From the markings on the back I'm guessing this may have come out of the Al Grayber/Harry Pegg collection which came out of the Pittsburgh area.

Harry Pegg was the editor of publications such as "The Veteran Boxer" and "Boxiana Review" from the 1940's into the 1970's. Grayber was a former Boxer/Sportsman who provided Pegg with a lot of the photos used in the publications.

I would think this was a print from perhaps the 1940's era.

- Dave

b.heagy
05-31-2009, 01:20 AM
It's a common pose of Ketchel that's been reproduced over the years. I wouldn't think it had anything to do with the exhibit card.

From the markings on the back I'm guessing this may have come out of the Al Grayber/Harry Pegg collection which came out of the Pittsburgh area.

Harry Pegg was the editor of publications such as "The Veteran Boxer" and "Boxiana Review" from the 1940's into the 1970's. Grayber was a former Boxer/Sportsman who provided Pegg with a lot of the photos used in the publications.

I would think this was a print from perhaps the 1940's era.

- Dave

Dave,
Very helpful. Glad to know there is some history behind this piece. Thanks for taking the time to post the info.