PDA

View Full Version : T206 Cobb CSA 8.5

V117collector
05-27-2009, 04:32 PM
Was anyone else watching the CSA 8.5 Cobb on ebay? Not sure if this was a shilled listing, but can anyone come up with a logical explanation why this trimmed card received a high closing bid? :confused:

Trimmed: top right cornner (imo):

T206 Cobb (Green) $4,688.00
http://tinyurl.com/qdx337
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn269/Maple_Crispette_Set/Doubles/0113.jpg

Doug
05-27-2009, 04:44 PM
I guess people don't think $4688 for an 8.5 T206 green Cobb falls under that "if it looks too good to be true it probably is" philosophy?

chaddurbin
05-27-2009, 04:47 PM
it has plenty of border, it could be further trimmed down if needed...4.5k with a chance at 15-20k is not a bad gamble

calvindog
05-27-2009, 05:15 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but the winning bidder has only bid on items from this seller. So it's probably not a real sale -- though I thought the ebay seller "consignments" was on the up and up?

marvjung
05-27-2009, 05:20 PM
I was watching this one and when it was initially posted, I bid it up a tiny bit to check out the bites.

I emailed the seller as well, asking him/her what was a "CSA" and did they have a website. I must have deleted the email, but I recall being sent a link to a site that was...well, I definitely chuckled a little bit (when I had looked, it wasn't updated since 2007 I believe).

Anyway, I was leary about the grading service and didn't pursue it anymore...I just hate those encapsulated cards from "weird-o" grading companies.....I refuse to be Channed!:mad:

calvindog
05-27-2009, 06:26 PM
Looking closer at this auction, it's pretty clear to me that 'consignments' is a crooked operation. The 'winner' of the auction -- a low feedback ebayer -- only bids on auctions of 'consignments;' the highly valuable card was graded by a non-PSA/SGC company (which means it's trimmed); and then I noticed that the location of the seller is not disclosed.

I think what's most disturbing is that the idiots running this auction didn't bother to even hide the nature of the shill bidding.

nsaddict
05-27-2009, 07:35 PM
I also find the underbidder a bit fishy. With a 5000.00 retracted bid just to see the high bidder's max. And note 118 bid retractions in the last 30 days. How have they not been suspended?

calvindog
05-27-2009, 07:41 PM
Wow, I missed that. The 'underbidder' didn't want to win...just wanted to set a higher floor for the card.

Does anyone know who 'consignments' is? Why do I have a feeling that this answer is going to be a funny one? This is about as dumb of a shill bidder as I've seen in a while.

Matt
05-27-2009, 07:54 PM
Wow, I missed that. The 'underbidder' didn't want to win...just wanted to set a higher floor for the card.

Does anyone know who 'consignments' is? Why do I have a feeling that this answer is going to be a funny one? This is about as dumb of a shill bidder as I've seen in a while.

A quick search of the archives turned up this:
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=88107

"Tuttle (rockbottomsports, consignmints, jtcards, etc.)"
"the seller is a former PSA grader, a former auction house employee, and was at one time one of PSA's highest volume submitters."

calvindog
05-27-2009, 08:28 PM
.....and had tremendously bad feedback for selling trimmed cards. Well, there's the answer.

Another ebay fraudster to avoid: "consignments."

sbfinley
05-28-2009, 01:46 AM
Just curious, but how in the hell did they decide that this card deemed a 9 for "registration"? Did they provide the death certificate for the great-great uncle that had lung cancer or did they just correctly bubble signup form with the proper number 2 pencil? So..... What the heck is registration?

shimozukawa
05-28-2009, 02:26 AM

Touch'EmAll
05-28-2009, 08:58 AM
This green Cobb has some of the biggest, fattest, widest boarders I have ever seen. I have looked at PSA green Cobbs with much less boarder.

I suspect the card is totally and entirely fake to begin with, not trimmed.

But in a "new" CSA case, would not risk purchase - especially without seeing back up close.

steve

calvindog
05-28-2009, 09:23 AM
I don't know anything about the 'consignments' guys - but are they thought to be card doctors as well?